Vet problems, sick cat

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, My grandma took a sick cat to this vet..they made her sign a paper saying she agreed to let htem treat it..the vet then gave it a shot after it had a fever of 106..within an hour its fever was back to 101...she then went back to work/class (she's a college student) and then when she called the vet told her the cat had to be put to sleep (anesthia) to give it bloodwork ?? Why the hell would they put a cat to sleep to take it's blood? And then they claimed he had something in his throat and wanted to look in it.. yet they didn't ask or tell her about any of this stuff, they just went ahead nad did all these procedures. Supposedly it has a spot where the drainage is and the vet said it was 'like a granulation' He's claiming it might be throat cancer and it'll be an expensive treatment..the cat looks very young and this vet sounds like he just wants to take advantage and make some money since she doesn't know anything about cats.. I am probably the most knowledgable about cats in the family but have not seen the cat yet..anyhow..any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, he was fine for the first two days, he would follow her around and ate like a little piggy, he then just got real lethargic and stopped eating/drinking and not event going to the bathroom.. so she took him to this vet.. who prompty asked how much can you spend

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all vets are bad guys, I would give this one the benefit of the doubt unless you can prove otherwise that he just wanted to run unncessary tests and upset a cat owner-

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xira, the only time I have ever signed a consent form for treatment for my cats was when one of them needed major surgery. You're right, cats don't need to be sedated for bloodwork, except sometimes for feral cats, which this cat definitely is not.
If the vet suspected or found something lodged in the throat and needed to do some type of diagnostic test, it would be reasonable to have to sedate the cat. However, when you say that the vet actually asked your grandmother how much she could spend, I no longer give this vet the benefit of the doubt if in fact this was the first question he asked her.

Tell your grandmother to get her cat out of there ASAP and find a competent, reputable vet to treat him. Please let us know what happens. Hope this little guy will be alright.

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah sorry, not put to sleep sleep.. they knocked him out to take his blood.. And we are, my grandma was the head nurse of a hospital for 30 years..she's going to ask to see the bloodwork tommorrow and compare it to the norms for a cat.. but asking 'how much are you willing to spend' before treatin gthe cat was a bit ridiculous.. when my shadow was deathly ill as a kitten (distemper) the vet didn't ask me ANYTHIN about paying them.. they told me not to worry about it and that I could pay it off.. considering vet bills for him totalled around 1500 $... that was someting great

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh ok... that makes more sence.... they tend to do that... sometimes it's easier to get the blood they need

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Xira, the only time I have ever signed a consent form for treatment for my cats was when one of them needed major surgery. You're right, cats don't need to be sedated for bloodwork, except sometimes for feral cats, which this cat definitely is not.
If the vet suspected or found something lodged in the throat and needed to do some type of diagnostic test, it would be reasonable to have to sedate the cat. However, when you say that the vet actually asked your grandmother how much she could spend, I no longer give this vet the benefit of the doubt if in fact this was the first question he asked her.

Tell your grandmother to get her cat out of there ASAP and find a competent, reputable vet to treat him. Please let us know what happens. Hope this little guy will be alright.
I agree. The fact that he asked your Grandmother how much she could spend should've been a red flag. I hope your Grandmother finds another vet, or at least get a second opinion.

G

ghostuser

Actually, depending on what types of clients your vet sees, he/she would ask how much you're willing to spend. My vet knows I'm always tight on money. She asks me for a ballpark figure to start on. She'll then start with the most likely course of diagnositics (ie, running part of an blood panel instead of the entire thing). She's also willing to work with me if it becomes too expensive. I'm from a poor area, people don't have money to "waste" on pets. They can barely afford basic living expenses, let alone huge vet bills, and the vets in my area are willing to deal with that and work with people. More animals get the medical care they need by doing so.

I really don't like the idea of signing treatment papers. The only thing I've ever had to sign was a paper saying that I agreed to pay the amount listed on the estimate for surgery. When my vets discover they have to do something more and it will cost more, they are required to call the client and ask permission first. If the bills are large, your grandma might want to talk to a lawyer. I know I would.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fwiw, my vets always give me an estimate before surgery or if my cat is going to be hospitalized or if there is going to be a large amount of testing and work done, it's discussed and I okay the estimated costs, we discuss payment plans etc. I appreciate knowing exactly what the plan of action is, and expected costs.

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It ended up being 300 dollars and this cat was given 8 shots, and after looking at the blood levels, the cats white count was high..sign of infection which it most likely had a URI and not any of these things this vet wanted to say.. why the cat needed 8 shots instead of just one to lower fever and 10 days of antibiotics is also beyond me.. I can understand asking how much can you spend in a vet where they know money is tight but she (grandma) had never been to this vet before and they made her sign a paper giving them permission to treat the cat however they deem necessary..thi sisn't for surgery and nor did the call and ask if the kitty should be put to sleep for bloodwork..they went ahead and -did- everything. My vet examines the animal which is about 30$ and then tells us what they can do next.. they give us options and usually tlel us EXACTLY what is going on and what symtoms the cat is having as well as what they think would be best.. this vet didn't reall tell her must of anything from what I have understood of her trip..

the cat however is fine today, back to playing and being active.. so that is great news but still a shady vet in my opinion..

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old cat Jimmy (a real mushpot at home) once had to be sedated for blood to be taken. He was feeling really grotty at the time (it turned out to be a badly infected tooth) and just wouldn't let them get the needle near him. After he had scratched the vet and bitten the veterinary nurse twice they said they would have to sedate him for him own good as well as theirs. I was actually there, he was very upset and stressed out and so was I. They were so patient with him, but it is sometimes necessary for sedation to take blood.

I also had to sign when I left Sophie for IV treatment, blood tests and X-rays, if they were necessary, when they didn't really know what was wrong with her. Nobody thought she had anything other than an tummy upset, but they called me late at night to say she had gone into respiratory distress and died. I think that my having signed meant that she could be given any emergency treatment needed, without them having to contact me first. I'm glad she was able to be given what she needed, but sadly it didn't help.

I'm glad your grandma's kitty is on the mend. When he's well it might be an idea to help her find a good vet who she can trust and stick to him or her. It really makes a big difference - I've had mine for 15 years now and would hate to have to go elsewhere.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor kitty! your grandma really needs to change vets. it doesnt matter if that vet is competent or not, if she feels she cant trust him then she'll always have bad experiences there.

ring the local animal shelter and find out what vets they use. thats what we did to find our new vet. they are also used to dealing with all sorts so have wider experience and are more patient imo.