Vet isn't sure if I should get a kitten/advice please

ember

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. I want to adopt a kitten, but my vet is apprehensive because my male cat had a a persistent UTI almost 2 years ago. It lasted about 3 weeks and was hard to get rid of, but he is fine now, has new food, drinks water. The vet is thinking the stress of the new cat may cause the issues to return. My cat is 7 and is an alpha cat. I also have a 14 year old female cat who is more passive. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I think only you can make that call.  You know your cats better than the vet does.

Having said that, it's possible that having a rambunctious kitten in the house could stress your resident male out, especially since he is somewhat older.  Stress can bring on the UTI's.  Also, your 14 year old female might not appreciate it either.  But, incorporating a young cat can be done if done according to the right introduction methods.  But nobody can guarantee it will work out.

Is there a reason why your heart is set on a kitten at this time?  Other than the obvious OMG KITTENS!  My BF and I were considering getting one but finally realized our older boy wouldn't tolerate it very well at all (he's nearly 13).  Just a little too much for him at this stage of his life.

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm sorry I but agree with your vet on this one. If he is a alpha cat, he's really going to stress out at a new kitten in his territory. If he was more passive like your older cat, he probably would handle the situation better and I would then be all for you getting a kitten.
Also I don't really think It would be fair on your 14 year old cat having to put up a young tear away in the house. Imagine if you where 90 years old and you had a 8 year old tearing around your house Lol. :lol3:

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know, I think you should get TWO kittens so they play with each other and leave the 'grandparents' alone! My 'oldster' really perks up around kittens, he enjoys watching them (as long as they leave him alone) and he was not above giving them a little 'discipline' when they got out of hand! I guess it can go either way. Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ember

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's mostly selfish on my part. My 17 year old cat died 2 weeks ago. He was my first cat and I had him since he was a kitten and loved him dearly. This kitten reminds me of him. I was also hoping that my 7 year old would play with it, as he still tries to play with the 14 year old (she is not too into it, but she tolerates him). I'm not sure what triggered his past UTI, since he has dealt with other stresses before (several moves, new people, etc). Thanks for the responses.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anecdotally my male cat was about 10 when he got a UTI.  I don't know his history on this, as we only had him for about 6 months at the time.

Last year, when he was 11-1/2 we decided to adopt another cat.  Not a kitten, but as it turned out a rather energetic young adult (about 3-5 years old).

At first, he wasn't thrilled but we took a lot of time to introduce them to each other, totally by the book.  They managed to become friends with each other, with him doing a bit of grumbling for a while, but it did work out.  He isn't the best companion for her as he sleeps nearly all the time now lol, but has never gotten another UTI.

So yea, it can go either way. 

And I'm so sorry for your loss.  17 years is a fine old age for a cat.  When you feel up to it, if you would like, you can post a tribute to him here.