Vet Costs

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So although I’m young, from what I’ve heard vet costs have increased exponentially over the years. Do you think they will ever stop raising their costs when they realize people can’t afford to have pets anymore? Do you think the prices will continue to climb?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of our neighbors decided to research different vets in our area for the same financial concerns you brought up. What he discovered was that they all keep tabs on one another so as not to undercharge or overcharge. Here's an Article that you may be interested in reading about help with veterinary costs: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life I'm guessing the more technology, scientific advances and research findings will also lead to higher costs but I can't see into the future. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you neely neely ! It makes sense that they would keep tabs on each other. I think they will probably charge as much as they can get away with. (although there are some kind hearted vets out there that have low-cost clinic days) I think they will be able to charge more and more with new advancements in technology and also the newer mentality among people that pets are family and should be treated as such. Then again, lower income families will draw a line somewhere. Some people just can’t afford vet visits if they are in the $1000 range. Or even the $100 range.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a problem. Vets actually make less then the average for professions requiring the same level of education. Technology costs money, many of the things that are done in human medicine can be done in veterinary medicine. I don't know what the answer is. I don't want to see things get to the point that only people with substantial incomes can afford pets. As I get older I also think about retirees on a fixed income. Many seniors live alone, even if their grown children stay in touch they have their own lives. They are in the same place that their parents were in, they have busy lives with their own children and work. For many seniors pet(s) are their day to day constant companions. I would hate to see things get to the point where retirees could no longer afford to have pets.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We've had as many as eight cats in the house and are currently down to five cats with The Beast. The real expense for the kids is the vet bills. (But Pepe and The Beast are eating a special food for renal problems and those foods aren't cheap.) We try to take 2-3 cats in to the vet at a time; our vet charges one bill for the first cat appt, then a discount for every cat thereafter at the same appointment. But that still only covers the office visit, not everything else. So if a cat needs meds or a shot or whatever, it's still the regular price (minus a discount because Rick is now over 65). Our geriatric cats go to the vet 3-4 times a year; the other three go twice a year. They don't get vaccines as they're strictly indoor cats, but they need dentals from time to time; they may need meds for urinary infections, etc. It's not cheap.

My co-worker currently has two cats (male). He'd love to get another cat or two, simply to get them out of a shelter and into a home, but he's afraid that one or two high vet bills may do him in.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that, once our kids have passed on, I don't think we'll have pets anymore. Maybe just two cats (not just one because all cats need a buddy, IMO), but certainly not more than two. We simply won't be able to afford them. I'm not being snotty, honest I'm not. I'm trying to be realistic.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think it depends on the area and also on the Vet themselves, I find that younger Vets, who tend to have student loan debt, etc are more expensive and also they're not like older Vets who most likely have their own practice a thus giving them a little more leeway in terms of setting prices.