Vet And Special Uti Food

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had his first UTI in October and he is been on a special food since then, it's a fish canned food and now I talked to my vet but he wants my cat to stay on this food.
I'm upset because this isn't a good food and its fish but there's nothing else of this special food my cat would eat.
Did anyone had this problem before?
What do you feed your cat that had UTI in the past?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s an older thread about UTI food: Urinary tract health food

What brand are you feeding now? From the thread I linked to, it seems like the three main brands that make urinary diets are Hills, Purina One, and Royal Canin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s an older thread about UTI food: Urinary tract health food

What brand are you feeding now? From the thread I linked to, it seems like the three main brands that make urinary diets are Hills, Purina One, and Royal Canin.
Thank you, I read the link and people have different opinions. He is on Purina Pro Plan for struvite Crystal's and I feel like the food is bad, I mean, no real meat in it and the one he likes is fish. I feed him 95% wet food and dry just like a treat. I read that a cat shouldn't be on a fish diet but that was the only special food he liked. I also put lots of water in his food because he was dehydrated when he had his last blood work done. If he only eats fish food wouldn't that be bad?'ll talk more with the vet and see what he says but I want to keep him safe because I know crystals are very bad for Male cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My own opinion is that these Rx diets can sometimes be very helpful in resolving issues, but are poor diets long term.
(It's also important to note I'm not a vet!! This is JMO/JME).

I would have a hard time giving an Rx diet long term, but in the case of a serious issue (especially if 24 hour vet care was unavailable), I would monitor the litter box like it was a teenage boy wanting to date my first born daughter, and keep some of the Rx food on hand.

Either way, and no matter what you choose to do, using mostly wet food and adding water is a sign of an owner that's done their research! Be glad you have a kitty that's happy to have tinned/wet/canned food as their main diet =D

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, I will talk with my vet about this. I'm more used to the fact that this food is fish but I'll see what he says. Maybe I can give him a bit of boiled chicken with it or whatever. I'll ask him but thank you for your help:)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if you can just switch to regular canned food after a while. It seems like any wet food would work once the UTI or crystals are gone.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Struvite crystals are nothing to mess around with. If he doesn't like that one, I would try Royal Canin or CD. There are several wet food options.

If it makes you feel any better, my boy has been on prescription food for crystals for more than a year now and it has kept them at bay.

These foods contain a urinary acidifier that creates a PH that makes crystals hard to form. I would not worry if it is fish, if it is formulated for urinary tract health.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Struvite crystals are nothing to mess around with. If he doesn't like that one, I would try Royal Canin or CD. There are several wet food options.

If it makes you feel any better, my boy has been on prescription food for crystals for more than a year now and it has kept them at bay.

These foods contain a urinary acidifier that creates a PH that makes crystals hard to form. I would not worry if it is fish, if it is formulated for urinary tract health.
He does like it, I don't because I don't think it's that good quality but if hehas to stay on or then I can't do anything about it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you rotate, for example one or two days with his current food, then something you'd prefer him to have, or by the week, or whatever...

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you rotate, for example one or two days with his current food, then something you'd prefer him to have, or by the week, or whatever...
The vet said to not combine the food because it will be worse, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
huh, no kidding. Ok, well, that's that for that idea. Have you, or would you want to, speak with another vet, maybe...
At this point I would, too.
I've heard that combining Rx diets and "regular" diets or rotating can maybe make the Rx diets not work as well (fair enough) but I've never heard it will make the problem worse? =/ Seems a bit sketchy, but that's just my (non-vet) opinion.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At this point I would, too.
I've heard that combining Rx diets and "regular" diets or rotating can maybe make the Rx diets not work as well (fair enough) but I've never heard it will make the problem worse? =/ Seems a bit sketchy, but that's just my (non-vet) opinion.
He said even not to give his treats because that and the special food combined can make him get crystals.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
huh, no kidding. Ok, well, that's that for that idea. Have you, or would you want to, speak with another vet, maybe...
I want to but every vet wants to see him and my cat gets really stressed when around people and I don't want to get him through that right now.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to but every vet wants to see him and my cat gets really stressed when around people and I don't want to get him through that right now.
I understand that, have a few of my own like it =)
I understand and can appreciate/resonate with the fear of those crystals returning and causing problems, but I do think in most cases a diet high in moisture does more than an Rx dry only diet, assuming a cat will take to wet food.
I would personally ask the vet to elaborate on this, and not wrack myself with worry over asking...you're not questioning their abilities as a vet, or their education and knowledge but you (the owner) really want to know more about how crystals form and how they lead to UTI's, blockages, etc. It's education, peace of mind, and one reason you hired the vet you hired.
A good vet IMO should be able to give you a short crash-course on this, even if you call and they have to call you back later. (Yeah, I know vets are busy, but so am I, and I am not fond of the current trend in the field of medicine that feels treating clients with questions like pains in the butts is OK.)
As always, JMO. =)

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand that, have a few of my own like it =)
I understand and can appreciate/resonate with the fear of those crystals returning and causing problems, but I do think in most cases a diet high in moisture does more than an Rx dry only diet, assuming a cat will take to wet food.
I would personally ask the vet to elaborate on this, and not wrack myself with worry over asking...you're not questioning their abilities as a vet, or their education and knowledge but you (the owner) really want to know more about how crystals form and how they lead to UTI's, blockages, etc. It's education, peace of mind, and one reason you hired the vet you hired.
A good vet IMO should be able to give you a short crash-course on this, even if you call and they have to call you back later. (Yeah, I know vets are busy, but so am I, and I am not fond of the current trend in the field of medicine that feels treating clients with questions like pains in the butts is OK.)
As always, JMO. =)
Actually this vet is very nice, he calls me back and talks to me so I shouldn't have a problem asking about this.
Also, my cat eats 95% wet food now, that special food. I only feed him dry as a treat.
I'm conflicted but I'll see whathe says.