Very Worried, Need Advice

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a post yesterday about my worries of feeding my cats Blue Wilderness. After three bags, the fourth bag has made them throw up and have diarrhea. My male cat has no problems with ingesting his food, my female cat has a lot of trouble switching foods. I obviously cannot feed them the Blue Wilderness food, but I am worried now how to make a switch to a another food and what food to switch to. My girl had digestional problems, that is why I started BW grain free, my boy is usually okay with anything as long as I switch over slowly, but this food is effecting him worse than her. I cannot make gradual switch now, because I’m pretty sure the food is tainted. I haven’t been able to connect with BW for advice. I contacted Amazon and we checked the expiration date and it should be okay. My question now is what should I do this weekend? What should I feed them? I’m very worried and on a teachers salary and just being diagnosed with an unknown blood disorder don’t want to take them to the emergency vet unless I must. I’m due Monday for more testing. I’m willing to put them before me if necessary if needed. Can somebody please give me sound advice?? ThNk you in advance.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you only feed the BW dry food? Do your cats eat anything else currently?

I would definitely contact BW and tell them what happened. They should offer to look further into the situation and test the batches that this food came from to make sure everything is okay.

Also, are you sure it's the food? Do they go outside? Could they have caught a parasite/virus?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don’t go outside and they both were sick within 30-45 minutes on ingesting the food. They ate breakfast from the old bag and were okay. I can’t imagine it being anything else. I’m just worried about switching food and making them sicker. I’m so worried and not sure what to do. I could go to the pet store and buy more BW or switch all together, but after researching I’m not sure BW is a good choice.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you on the teacher's salary.

Do you feed any wet? I couldn't afford to feed only wet all the time, but I could manage it for a short time if I had to figure out a new dry. You also don't have to switch it as gradually as dry.

My girl eats Wellness and does well on it but your mileage may vary.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feed wet food I would put them on all wet for now and then find a new dry food to slowly introduce into the diet.

If not, I would find a different Blue dry food that is similar in composition and feed that instead. I know you probably don't want to feed Blue anymore but I'm assuming that not all of their varieties are tainted and it will be easiest on their stomachs to eat a food with the same base formula. You can then slowly transition them to something else.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feed wet food I would put them on all wet for now and then find a new dry food to slowly introduce into the diet.

If not, I would find a different Blue dry food that is similar in composition and feed that instead. I know you probably don't want to feed Blue anymore but I'm assuming that not all of their varieties are tainted and it will be easiest on their stomachs to eat a food with the same base formula. You can then slowly transition them to something else.
I agree.
If nothing else, try a limited ingredient diet to hopefully lessen some of the problems maybe? Some brands have nice diets with few ingredients that are available at pet supply stores. I think Merrick and Natural Balance make these types of diets, no idea if the companies are good or not.
If nothing else, and if they're open "people food", maybe call the vet in the morning, explain the situation, and ask them about feeding a very bland home made diet (VERY short term as many, if not all, bland diets are unbalanced to be fed for more than a week or two!). They may have some helpful ideas.

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear you on the teacher's salary.

Do you feed any wet? I couldn't afford to feed only wet all the time, but I could manage it for a short time if I had to figure out a new dry. You also don't have to switch it as gradually as dry.

My girl eats Wellness and does well on it but your mileage may vary.

I haven’t fed them wet. Do you think it will be better for their tummies until
I can figure something out?

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t fed them wet. Do you think it will be better for their tummies until
I can figure something out?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, wet food is usually easier to transition and easier on the tummy, but I still would do a slow transition with it just because they aren't used to wet food. You could try a limited ingredient wet food and just give them a little bit, wait a few hours to make sure nothing bad happens and then give them a little more, repeat, and so on?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other reason to give wet is to keep them hydrated since they are throwing up and having diarrhea.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, wet food is usually easier to transition and easier on the tummy, but I still would do a slow transition with it just because they aren't used to wet food. You could try a limited ingredient wet food and just give them a little bit, wait a few hours to make sure nothing bad happens and then give them a little more, repeat, and so on?
My cats like wet food but sometimes cats that are kibble addicts want kibble and nothing else, but if they take to canned food, I'd do little and often watered down with either warm water or chicken broth (*onion free* chicken broth....read those labels or make your own!). With sick cats, we usually offer a teaspoon or two every 2-3 waking hours (and stretch bedtime hours late as possible and wake-up hours as early as possible) just to keep the tummy working, but not overwhelmed.
Some wet foods are higher in fat but are not on a DMB so it really, really depends. It's so frustrating sometimes! =(

If you suspect Blue is making them sick, I'd contact Blue (nicely of course) and contact the place you purchased the food from (again, nicely). Sometimes issues with pet food is an issue of storage.
You said the expiry date "should be OK"; I'm curious as to what the actual expiry is. It might not be the actual fault of the manufacturer, but a storage issue that the store/distributor would want to be aware of.
Fingers crossed for you! Sick kitties are the worst and make us stressed out, too..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'll repeat what I commented in your other post. I didn't specify and should have that I'm referring to canned food.

You can try obtaining a couple of the foods listed below that are grain free. Feed a small amount and alternate with some boiled unseasoned cut up chicken - also try a small amount of very well separated raw egg YOLK only, or some cooked whole egg and although I'm not a vet, I'd suggest to definitely try some Primal freeze dried raw or Rad Cat raw (I know there's been a Rad Cat recall but I agree with another TCS member, I think they're still a viable food).

Tiki Cat especially the After Dark, Against the Grain, Almo Nature although be aware that some of their foods are not complete. American Journey a new wet food on chewy's website. Fussie Cat super premium foods, Purina One classic grain free pate, some Weruva foods--some do have a small amount of potato starch. Fancy Feast classics, Nutro minced chicken and sliced turkey.

Other foods that could work although I can't absolutely vouch for whether they're grain free might be Tender and True, Instinct.
Good luck, let us know how things go!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll repeat what I commented in your other post. I didn't specify and should have that I'm referring to canned food.

You can try obtaining a couple of the foods listed below that are grain free. Feed a small amount and alternate with some boiled unseasoned cut up chicken - also try a small amount of very well separated raw egg YOLK only, or some cooked whole egg and although I'm not a vet, I'd suggest to definitely try some Primal freeze dried raw or Rad Cat raw (I know there's been a Rad Cat recall but I agree with another TCS member, I think they're still a viable food).

Tiki Cat especially the After Dark, Against the Grain, Almo Nature although be aware that some of their foods are not complete. American Journey a new wet food on chewy's website. Fussie Cat super premium foods, Purina One classic grain free pate, some Weruva foods--some do have a small amount of potato starch. Fancy Feast classics, Nutro minced chicken and sliced turkey.

Other foods that could work although I can't absolutely vouch for whether they're grain free might be Tender and True, Instinct.
Good luck, let us know how things go!
Oh Lord, Tiki cat is like crack here.
We rarely feed it due to cost, but even mixed (we're talking a teaspoon or less per meal, per cat) is like some weird ritual. =D
I do feel Rad Cat is till a good food; they've been in business a long, long time and have had very good results.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other reason to give wet is to keep them hydrated since they are throwing up and having diarrhea.
We personally had a cat show very low weight after 12 hours of vomiting/diarrhea, but his weight increased (1 lb.) to "normal" a mere few days after the issue was resolved. Diarrhea/vomiting can really mess a cat up =/

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will try this!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like wet food for cats too. i normally feed 2 wet meals a day, but i also leave out Dr. Elseys dry, the chicken. Its a good time to try it if you want. Chewy has a good sale going on right now. its not cheap, but its very high protein, so the cats dont eat as much, and the all seem to like it.

a newer limited ingredient dry food, my mother is feeding it to her cats, and they seem to be doing well is the Taste of the wild prey, turkey formula. Its not as low carb as Elseys, but it isn't bad for dry, and i like the very limited ingredients.
Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula for Cats - Taste of the Wild Pet Food

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like wet food for cats too. i normally feed 2 wet meals a day, but i also leave out Dr. Elseys dry, the chicken. Its a good time to try it if you want. Chewy has a good sale going on right now. its not cheap, but its very high protein, so the cats dont eat as much, and the all seem to like it.

a newer limited ingredient dry food, my mother is feeding it to her cats, and they seem to be doing well is the Taste of the wild prey, turkey formula. Its not as low carb as Elseys, but it isn't bad for dry, and i like the very limited ingredients.
Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula for Cats - Taste of the Wild Pet Food
I've heard of TOTW prey. Looks like a good dry food IMO!!
I sometimes miss the days of leaving dry food out for grazing. Unless kenneled our dorkus dogs would snarf it up in 2 seconds =( Plus we have two that have problems with dry food so it's difficult to do so.
(I'm happy raw feeding but sometimes I do envy those who can leave food out 24/7 and have somewhat sane-acting cats at wet-food feeding time, especially when we have cats cartwheeling, back-flipping, meowing nonstop and latching their claws onto our pants and pulling those pants halfway to our knees to express their current starvation....seriously, I was pants by a yellow cat tonight.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truth be told, I wasn't LOL'ing two hours ago as our resident miniature tiger thought flashing my underwear in the form of pants-ing me like we live in some Junior High locker room was hilarious xD But in hindsight it's IS hilarilous.
Our cats are crazy and we like it that way =D