Very Weak cat in Christmas.

seany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well recently I rescued some kittens in an alley. By the looks of it I think it was abandoned it's mother. So since they were still active and Cuddly, i bought them back home and feed them with cat milk everyday.

Well things start to happened when I left for a vacation during Christmas Eve. I fed those kittens in the morning and I left my house later on. Well when im back the second day, one of the kitten were very weak (it can't move) well the other two are fine? Until now it's still weak . Please help me guys :/ (Im terribaly sorry for my irresponsibility ) Is tyere any way to nurse them back to health. Well my dad said it's no use taking it to the vet anymore ,it seems like he had lost hope on it. (Sorry for my bad grammer)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give the kitten some sugar. Get something like syrup or honey or sugar dissolved in water, and rub it on his gums. That might pep him up long enough for you to help him eat something else. If he does get a little stronger, feed him carefully, because if he's weak he might accidentally inhale some food into his lungs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ill try that out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well they are around 4wks old anfd I have been feeding them with a milk called Gim's Cat Lattle (I went to the shopkeeper and they recommend this as a subsitute to a mother cat's milk. By the way the cat still won't open its mouth to drink :/

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very young. You need to feed them kmr by dropper or bottle until they are old enough to lap from a bowl in a week or two. Try feeding them every 3-4 hours for now. They have to eat until they're full at this age every few hours to thrive

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well they are around 4wks old anfd I have been feeding them with a milk called Gim's Cat Lattle (I went to the shopkeeper and they recommend this as a subsitute to a mother cat's milk. By the way the cat still won't open its mouth to drink :/
Im not sure what it is. But GimCat has a Cat-Milk, which I suppose is an OK  kmr.   If you can get goat milk, so full fat goat milk is always OK to use, either as emergency kmr or supplement for older cats.

But if the shopkeeper recommended you this Latte, lets presume its OK.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are very young. You need to feed them kmr by dropper or bottle until they are old enough to lap from a bowl in a week or two. Try feeding them every 3-4 hours for now. They have to eat until they're full at this age every few hours to thrive
I will add, this every 3-4 hours is for the healthy ones.   Every 4 hours in the night - you wanna sleep, no? Or if you must away to school  / work.  And every  3 hours in the rest of the day.

The weak one needs more often, probably every hour, as it probably manage just a few drops at a time.

The sugar Willowy mentioned- its really glucose sugar / dextrose, but if you cant get it in a hurry, you must do with something else, containing it - some sugar syrup, honey...

Such glucose sugar is also a good base for home made pedialytes, useful for both weak cats and humans with diarrhea or throwing fits

It may be necessary to use a syringe or dropper, sometimes its easier than a bottle.  Its important to have them tummy down, head up - body may be raised diagonally 45 degrees, but tummy down, not up as with a human baby.

@SeanY

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any update? It's possible the kitten was already sick when you took it in, you shouldn't feel too bad for leaving it alone. Sometimes kittens just don't make it. But I hope it's ok!!