Very vocal kitten...among other things

mapache

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
My husband and I rescued a 2 month old kitten, it all began pretty well, but now 1 month later he "gained confidence"
- he gets very vocal if there's people around ( our room is the kitten free room and when we lock ourselves in he goes quiet). We took him to the vet to check if he had something that made him meow more than the usual but there was nothing
-he is getting very bite-y
-he gets into "demon-cat" mode, and just runs around...over laptops, food, people
-he wants to eat our food, even if we have never fed him human food.

We tried to convince our landlord if we could have 2 cats but there's a pet limit in our building...so at least that sadly is not an option (I could easily surround myself in cats)

I'm wondering is all of the above normal in a kitten? Will he get a bit quieter as he grows up, we are worried that the neighbors will complain.

Thank you all for your advice!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say this sounds like kitten behaviour. They are full of energy for quite a while. I have a 10 month old who constantly zooms around the house as if he is possessed and wants to see what I am eating. As far as biting is concerned, it could be due to teething. Spend as much time as you can playing with him to tire him out. Good luck, enjoy him

stephim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a bitey kitten too. Well now he's a year old and hes still bitey. You gotta zap his energy. Not easy to do I know. Try Da bird cat toy. Get him really wound up and let him attack the darn thing. Play mimicks prey. Then wind him down slowly. Let the toy get slower and let him catch it one more time. Then give him dome wet food or treat that he likes. Several plays sessions of about ten to fifteen minutes a day help. Ours is slowing down a bit now but he's still really feisty. And when he's vocalising ignore him. Do not talk to him. Trust me it mskex it worse. Only give him attention when he is quiet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapache

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice! I'll try to get him some new toys, on the same line you recommended.

stephim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome. And neutering helps some too. All cats have their crazy five minutes. Totally normal.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if neutering takes away being vocal.

Some cats are just very vocal. It's their way of communicating. My parents rescued a 3 year old Maine Coon mix and he was neutered after they got him and he still is the same vocal cat. Although I think my girl is very much more vocal than him. My boys Miagi & Tiger were chatty too! It's just a normal kitten and cat thing. I enjoy vocal cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapache

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did ask about neutering, but they told us until he is about 5 months, is it safe to do it before?

stephim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neutering helps to calm them down not with him being vocal. I really think thats because he's little and in a new scary place. He could be seeking your attention. Some cats are just more vocal than others. Cats do not meow at each other. That's how they communicate with us. Mine used to talk to us all day long. He's getting better. As far as neutering most vets say between 5-7 months. That's here in germany. Some in the US will do it earlier. Depends on the vet. 5 months sounds okay though. Also when you play with him never use your hands and if he starts playing too rough end the game and walk away. Let him calm down and try again in a few minutes. He doesn't have another cat with him and he may not have learned how to use his teeth and claws properly. When kittens play with each other they bite, stalk, chase and pounce. You and hubby are his playmates now but you guys don't have fur to protect you from his teeth. Again totally normal kitten behavior. The playing should help him. He probably has s lot of pent up energy.

mistercheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 8-9 years old and he won't ever shut up =p. Sometimes he losses his mind and starts running around like crazy and growls and yells. I chalk it up to him being a cat =p when he wants to scratch/bite during play I just walk away from him and I know he gets bummed out. It's a gradual learning process I suppose but the meowing, although it makes me crazy sometimes makes me feel like he's just trying to communicate.