Very unhappy, aggressive kitten

andrearae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 7 week old kitten that was found abandoned when she was only 3 weeks. We have had her since then and with the help of our vet and the internet, she is healthy, full of energy, playful, and growing. Physically, she is doing well and is spoiled w/toys, multiple beds, playpen, accessories, good food, etc, but due to bad timing she came into our lives right when we were getting ready to move and were both very stressed and I am afraid that this combined w/ her early trauma and lack of socialization are causing behavior problems.

She is constantly attacking both my husband and I, biting and scratching - not just playful kitten behavior, but serious aggression. She has also not purred around for us about 3 weeks ( we moved last weekend). I have done a TON of research on raising young kjttens and been trying everything I can think of to help her but I am at a loss.

My concern is that if her behavior is unlikely to change at this point in her situation, rehoming somewhere with other cats and people might be what is best for her, and if so I want to do it as quickly as possible so she will be easily adoptable. This is the LAST thing my husband or I want, we adore her but just want her to be happy. It is a vicious cycle because we stress and worry about her, she picks up on it and bites more, we get more stressed . . .

I know that another kitten could help, but it's not really an option for us right now and I'm also afraid adding another cat could just add to her stress plus stress the new kitten too if she is super aggressive towards it. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or have any advice?? I am desperate, thank you!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Her behavior sounds very typical for her circumstances. And, please understand that at 7 weeks of age her behavior is NOT set in stone.

Kittens really start to learn proper cat social skills and appropriate play from about 4 wks to 12 wks of age. So, your little one is just getting into this category. ALL kittens go through a crazy stage from 8-16+ weeks where they are full of energy, running, climbing, and, yes, BITING and attacking. Usually the victim of these attacks is another kitten or momma cat which helps the kittens learn when they are getting too rough.

Because of this,another kitten, slightly older, that HAS been well socialized with people and other cats/kittens would absolutely be ideal. It's easier on the humans!

But, there are people who, for whatever reason, raise orphan singletons that adapt well. But, it is A LOT of work and patience.

If getting another kitten really isn't an option, here are some things to do...

1.) Never use your hands, feet, etc for play. Always use a toy.

2.) Get a few stuffed animal (slightly larger than the kitten) that she can wrestle and bite.
Keep these throughout the house and offer then to her when she starts to get keyed up.

3.) A tool I have used for my biters is a NUK type pacifier. I keep them on hand and place them in the Kirsten's mouth when they start trying to bite hands. The pacifier has a good texture, so the kittens enjoy them.
I place the pacifier in the side of the mouth.

4.) When she starts to get too rough with playing, stop engaging with her and walk away. If she bites you, give a firm (but not shouting) NO and walk away from her. If she continues to pursue the rough play, place her in a room by herself for a few minutes (with toys) and give her a chance to calm down before letting her out with you.

Make sure you have several play sessions daily and try to get her tired.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with everything Catpack recommended, but wanted to add: What a cute kitten!!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrearae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply and advice! We have tried an infant pacifier, but she wasnt interested, so I definitely will try the one you suggested. She does have a good size stuffed squirrel for wrestles, and Tons of toys which I take in and out of rotation. We also have a pet gear playpen for her which she seems to love, and we put her in there for "time outs" if she's attacking or just seems overstimulated.

That's another concern I have, she will play and play well beyond the point where she is physically exhausted but still refuse to sleep or slow down. I've had several kittens, obviously much older, and they all seemed pretty much tapped out after maybe 30 minutes of constant "fish pole toy" or towers climbing play - not this one! If I stop w/ the fish pole toy, she'll go right into one of her solo toys and tear around for another 45?minutes! When that happens
I wrap her in her favorite blanket and put her in her bed and cover one side with a sheet and she usually falls asleep w/in seconds. Is there a certain time frame I should go by as far as how much play time is too much?? I've always just played w/ a kitten until it was sleepy and never had one like her who pushes herself until I'm scared for her worried she will misjudge a jump or something and fall :(

One option I was thinking of looking into was fostering an older kitten or cat to teach her proper kitty manners?? I've done everything as far as hissing, making hurt kitten noises, staring at her, diversion w/toys, disengaging etc but obviously that's not working and there's no substitute for the real thing. I am just not at all sure this is a good idea though, since I'm afraid it could potentially be detrimental to her and the new kitten, if she is very aggressive towards it??

Alternatively, does anyone think there might still be a benefit to be had for her to be fostered with a similarly aged litter for a few weeks?? Kind of grasping at straws here I know, I'm just so upset that she doesn't seen happy and I'm so mad at myself for not thinking of the foster idea sooner :(

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I think it would be a great idea for you to foster another kitten; but, be sure that that kitten has had socialization with both people and other cats/kittens.

Talk to the rescue/shelter group you plan to foster with. They should be able to help place a kitten with a similar energy level in your home. Yes, there may be some hissing and you will need to follow proper introductions; but, young kittens almost always integrate with others fairly quickly.