Very timid kitten, im worried, help!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wonderng how many litter boxes are in the house? With six cats the ideal number would be 7. Food and water should never be near the litter boxes. Also the younger cat could get picked on by the older cats. You seem to be allowing the kitten free run of the house? Have you followed the "Introdusing cats" article in the behavior section at the top of the page? This will greatly reduse the stress this little one will go through. A bathroom is too active an area for your kitty and she should be moved into a spare bed room if one is available. This will allow her to decompress and relax. By grabbing her and force feeding her you are just adding to the stress and keeping her too upset to eat. Please read the article by clicking the "behavior" button at the top of the page, scroll down to "I'd like to introduse" about bringing home a new cat to a house with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengal meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe they are f6's, there are 5 litter boxes, the bathroom is not being used while she is in there. Thanks for the imput. Sorry so short but i must go

bengal meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what i could tell they were not well socialized at the breeders.

bengal meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten and asia are roaming the house, asia is doing fine. I can now pet the kittens head and such without resistance, (when i can find her.) The kitten was under our air hockey table just relaxing and my brother came home, i made the mistake of telling him where she was. He went over and layed under the air hockey table. Next thing i know he had gotten up and was looking in the area of the air hockey table for her, i saw her go behind the tv which is about 20 feet away, lol. I told him to leave her alone. I was looking for her a few minutes ago and i cant find her. Based on what everyones said im gonna try putting her in a closed room upstairs for a few days, when i find her. She is beginning to get used to me and my mom somewhat. there will be no one home until 330 tomorrow, maybe thatll help more than hurt. The reason i have yet to put her in a seperate room is because of two reasons; i did not want to completely change the kittens surroundings and restart, and i didnt want to remove the only food, water, and litterbox asia knows about. Im still not sure what i should do about that yet, Any ideas? Idont think it would be a good idea to confine asia and kitten in the same room. But then again i never thought locking any animal in a room is a good idea, so i may be wrong. I would like someone to tell me what i should do, i know ive been told but i believe my situation is a bit different. thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you confine her to a low-traffic room, do so with baby gates stacked on top of each other, try not to put her behind a solid door. She needs to smell you, to see you and to get used to the pulse of the house, that is hard to do with a door between her and the rest of the house. Personally, I would just leave her alone, the other kitten will draw her out in time. The quickest way for a kitten to relax is for the household to just pretend the kitten isn't there. That's not to say don't feed and water and attend to their needs, but don't go crawling in after her if she is hiding, or force her to do anything. If she isn't eating, get her to the vet and get her checked out. Both of these kittens should have been to the vet already-

bengal meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the imput. If it was my decision the kitten wouldve been seen before we even got home from the breeders! New years day we called and left a message for the vet, he has not returned our call :/ Im trying to figure out which would be better at this stage of the game; putting her in a room, or leaving her to walk around the house, and do what i can as far as keeping my family/ other cats away. I will post tomorrow with the decision i made. More imput from anyone would be happily accepted. Thanks hissy for being so helpful. Ive never had such a problem with a new kitten.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my opinion, it is better to put Kitten in a smaller area with her food, water and litter pan. Young kittens often cannot "hold it" long enough to seek out a litter pan in another area of the house and that is how accidents happen.

~gf~

lenaorie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, i know that bengal babies can be very timid at 1st... But, they will warm up. I never had the eating problem with my girls, they were just a little cared of all the surroundings.

I think that the little kitten should be in a smaller area also, that way she will learn to use the litter box, and you can gradually let her go into larger areas..

My Orie is 7 months old and Lena is a year and 2 months old, they only have free roam of the house when i am home or when someone is going to be checking on them... Or else.. they get into things..

I hope that your problems are solved soon, and the babies come around and love on you.. bcuz Bengals are VERY loving!

bengal meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Asia is becoming more playful by the day! She is starting to get aquainted with the other cats gradually. The kitten (still un-named) has been roaming and it seems to be helping her atittude. We couldnt find her for a couple hours and then i came home and my parents had just found her. I held her and put a plate of wet food in front of her. She began licking off my fingers and then proceeded to just eat from the plate until it was all gone
She is definitly warming up to me slowly but surely. ill be back with updates. Thanks all