VERY skinny and I'm scared

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes open... eh, about 7-10 days, latest two weeks. Their eyesight isn't perfect right away, though.

Once your kitten has got chubby enough, try delaying a feeding by half an hour or so, then taking the others so it's motivated to nurse...

Maybe the kitten has trouble sucking? Does its mouth and tongue look normal? No milk bubbling out of the nose when it drinks, right? (That would be sign of cleft palate... )

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the ideal is for baby to nurse from Momma...however, I believe that by giving KMR by syringe you have changed this kittens chance for survival from 0%, to a good chance. Know that you are doing a wonderful thing.

If you pull baby from Momma to give it KMR every three hours, then put him back, I think there is still a chance he will learn to nurse, and be strong enough to nurse with the other babies. And even if you have to keep giving formula, at least he will be warm with the other babies, and Momma will keep him clean.

You may be surprised at how strong he becomes once he is fed a few times, he may be able to fight for a nipple with the other babies.

Sometimes kittens without a Mom will suck on each other, because the urge to nurse is so strong. I hope your baby does this, and is able to nurse soon. I would still keep weighing him, and giving some KMR feedings until you are sure he is getting enough!

This thread just warms my heart and makes me proud to be a member of TheCatSite. Your love for the kitten, combined with our advice, and your Mom's willingness to get the supplies needed=a healthy kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I think the ideal is for baby to nurse from Momma...however, I believe that by giving KMR by syringe you have changed this kittens chance for survival from 0%, to a good chance. Know that you are doing a wonderful thing.

If you pull baby from Momma to give it KMR every three hours, then put him back, I think there is still a chance he will learn to nurse, and be strong enough to nurse with the other babies. And even if you have to keep giving formula, at least he will be warm with the other babies, and Momma will keep him clean.

You may be surprised at how strong he becomes once he is fed a few times, he may be able to fight for a nipple with the other babies.

Sometimes kittens without a Mom will suck on each other, because the urge to nurse is so strong. I hope your baby does this, and is able to nurse soon. I would still keep weighing him, and giving some KMR feedings until you are sure he is getting enough!

This thread just warms my heart and makes me proud to be a member of TheCatSite. Your love for the kitten, combined with our advice, and your Mom's willingness to get the supplies needed=a healthy kitten!
Yeah we are doing everything we can and not leaving one cat behind. The babys were born on wednesday (at 1 in the morning) So I guess we have a few days to keep the little one on the KMR. We do feed every 3 hours and I am sacraficing my lunch money to feed this guy (mom hasnt got paid yet) Thnx for the kind words

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don't have to take it completely off the KMR, just try to get it to eat from Mom first, and then supplement it.

Cats and kittens are lazy. They sometimes need a bit of motivation. lol

Keep trying, and don't bother to take the other kittens out. Just lay down with them while they're nursing and keep placing the baby close to an open nipple, and gently slide it's head and mouth over the nipple.

If it doesn't takie it, try again. And if possible, do it over the same nipple. Eventually she'll get it. But the idea is to try it first before giving it the KMR so it's hungry while you do it.

Are you buying the cans of KMR already made up, or the powder? The powder is a lot cheaper and lasts a lot longer. You might find one can will do it. If you've already bought a bunch of the cans of pre-mixed, if they're unopened, I'm sure the store will take them back.

If you are near a wal-mart, they sell it also (the Hartz brand I think) and you might find it less expensive.

Even if it only gets a little of Mom's milk, that's better than nothing because there are antibodies in mother's milk that are not in the KMR that help them fight infection and keeps them healthier (the reason for mother's milk being better all around).

Good luck, and you're doing great!

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh we used the pre-mix. We only bought one can and we have enough for about...2 or 3 more feedings. When we go to petsmart later tomorrow we will buy the powder one.

mommaoftwo2006

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you might try putting a drop of KMR on momma cat's nipple and put the little one up to it

that works sometimes it really depends on the kitten

I just want to say I think you are doing a great thing!!!

keep us updated!!

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every feeding time I take out the little guy and he cries and I just sing over the cry so the mom won't come out while she is feeding the other 5. My mom caught me doing this and (singing and running with the kitten) It was hilarious
but anyway I finally got to a point where I can hold the syringe and the cat so he/she is not struggling. He/She is doing pretty well. I see the little one gained some weight

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're running and singng loud with the kitten? You need to be more careful. This is not a good thing.

They are very delicate and if you trip or drop it you can cause a lot of damage. You're also scaring it and you're scaring the mother, and therefore all the rest of the kittens. You need them to be calm and secure if you want them all to thrive.

Please understand that stress can be just as big a problem for kittens and queens as any illness.

You need to be quiet, gentle and very careful. Also, how are you holding her when you are feeding her? Like a baby or on her stomach?

Once she's taking the bottle she shouldn't be crying. You have to be careful not to scare her. Scaring her can not only make the kitten skittish and stressed out, but it's the same for the mother. You don't want her ending up abandoning all her kittens because of this, and a cat abandoning kittens , or even killing them, because they feel they might be in danger is not all that uncommon. And what we consider danger and what they consider danger are very different things.

When you feed her you should do it right near the Mom, while you're sitting or laying on the floor, with the kitten on its stomach on a towel. And in sight of the mother. Or even better, give it the bottle right in the box while it's with the mother while the kitten is stomach down.

If you hold it like a baby it can choke.

The idea of putting some kmr on a nipple and moving her face to it is a great idea.

By now, if the kitten is taking a bottle, she should also be able to nurse from Mom. Please do not try to keep feeding her just because you enjoy it. You have to think of the kitten and queens welfare first. You really need to do everything you can to get her back to her mother and feeding from her normally at least for most of her nutrients, and weaning her off the bottle. Everything you can.

Would you do this with a newborn human baby? Would the mother let you?