Very sick Kitten #2

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, practically all kittens have worms, most often round worms.  so it is to be expected. The only common exception is kittens of inside only, well kept mommas.

But THAT heavy an infection of worms is highly unusual.  I dont think I have ever met one.  Although I saw a pic of a dead horse foal with intestines fully blocked by worms...  That is why I know it may be possible, at least theoretically.

And now I know it may even be possible practically...

Those whom died here, didnt died in wain.  At the very least, we here on this Forum did get us some education, hopefully beeing able to help others in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let's hope the worms keep coming out. When is the next worm treatment due?

And how is the mom cat doing? Is she expelling worms also?

This was a very bad worm situation!
The mother was looking malnourished when the first kitten died. Now my wife is feeding her as well. It's hard to tell if she is expelling worms since she's an outdoor cat.

The kitten woke up very sick today and tried to stand up but couldn't also it's head goes from side to side. They took the kitten to the the vet guy and he said the kitten looked malnourished and dehydrated . He gave it some more worm treatment, a calcium supplement, and recommended oral hydration. It looks like they will give the kitten one of those hydration packets that you mix with water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H halfamill

Oh dear. It sounds like the kitten is in need of hourly supplementation to hydrate it. Are you able to get formula or goat milk?

If not, I can tell you how to make a homeade formula to feed it with a syringe. It sounds like an emergency!

Last edited:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Halfamill

Oh dear. It sounds like the kitten is in need of hourly supplementation to hydrate it. Are you able to get formula or goat milk?

If not, I can tell you how to make a homeade formula to feed it with a syringe. It sounds like an emergency!
No KMR or goat milk on that island. I'll go with the homemade formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H halfamill

Are you able to get evaporated milk, honey, eggs, mayonnaise or yogurt?

Once I know what you have access to I can offer a recipe.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H halfamill

Okay. Let's go with vanilla yogurt.

Use one beaten egg yolk (no white)
Add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
Add 4 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
Add a pinch of salt
Add 1 teaspoon of honey
Add 4 tablespoons of water

Blend and feed as many mLs to the kitten as it will drink. Give it slightly warmed. Refrigerate unused portions. Continue to feed every 1-2 hours. If too thick, add a little more water.

Feed into the cheek side of the mouth. Go slowly so kitten does not choke.

Let me know if this helps!

Last edited:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recipe. Just one last question, vanilla yogurt is surprisingly difficult as well to find. Which do you recommend out of strawberries, mixed fruits, apricot, apple, and plum flavored yogurt? 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H halfamill

Strawberry, but obviously, take all of the fruit pieces out.

Is the kitten home now? Was it given fluids at the vet?

Last edited:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the kitten is home. He took 3cc of the oral hydration mix and 2 of the ml. Thanks for the recipe. I will update as soon as I hear anything new.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, this needs to be given every hour around the clock. The formula mixture is just as important as the hydration, as the kitten needs nutrition. I hope the kitten begins to show improvement!

Last edited:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was showing improvement and was able to get up and play with his mother. Unfortunately it passed away the next morning. I had just brought a couple of things for the kitten because I returned to the country today. Thanks for all the help here as my wife was able to give them a last couple of days of love.

solaris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear this. You and your wife tried your hardest for these babies, and like you said, at least they spent their last days being loved and cared for. Thanks to both of you for your compassion.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. You really did everything you could for the kitten. You and your wife showed enormous kindness and compassion, so the kitten surely knew he was loved. Your efforts to rescue and save cats and kittens in need are the mark of a true humanitarian, especially in a country where animal services are virtually non-existant.

I do hope the mother cat continues to do well, and we are here for any future questions. Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of the kitten.

Last edited: