Very Sick Cat

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Howie is our 4 year old boy. He's got feline hyperethstasia and takes gabopentin 3 times a day. Lately we have encountered some litter box problems. He's been pooping outside the box and appears to be holding it as long as he can.

I made an appointment with his vet last week. On the way there, he pooped in his cage. The vet examined him and said th at he appeared to have an upset stomach and that whast was still in there was "Very soft. She also mentioned that he didn't appear to have good muscle control in the rear end. She gave him a medication f or his stomach (can't remember what it's called. He took it for five days). On the way home he hgad some kind of diarreah. It was completely liquid. It was horrible! He seemed better when we got home though. In the last week he did not poop outside the box, but only used it twice.

We had the follow up today. The vet had me give him an acepromazine at 12:45, to help with the car sickness. He didn't seem very affected, but he did not poop in the car this time. The vet said he looked good, but was still worried about his muscle control and in frequency so she started him on Royal Canon gastrointestinal.

He seemed fine when we got home. Liked the new food and was happy. About an hour later though, I noticed that he looked uncomfortable. He was oozing poop. It has just gone downhill! He has lost all control of his bowels and is scared and hiding. I called the vet and he has an appointment in the morning. Right now he is in a bed i made for him in the bath tub. What could have happened?! The Ace...the food? I'm so worried and at a loss...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20170927_202328.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is he today? What did the Vet say about what might have caused this latest issue? Not knowing what he ate before it's hard to say if it was the food or not. I'm wondering if the "holding it for as long as he could" was really constipation? Constipation often ends up in diarrhea :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seems to be doing better today. Last night was awful. He was sick all night long. The vet started him on prenelozone and had me go back to his old food for now (science diet lite). This evening he is engaged and friendly again. Hoping this is over....just can't imagine what would have had such a serious affect on him. I was so scared for him...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still doing ok with the new changes? It's always such a worry when they get sick :sigh:

Quite a handsome boy, BTW :loveeyes: