Very Shy Kitty?

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we adopted a kitty on Sat, And we are keeping him in the spare room by himself. He is coming around slowly, But he is very shy/timid. He hid and didn't come out at all for 24hrs. He is starting to come off the shelf under the Computer desk in there. But, he spends a good 95% of his time there. We have been feeding him right where he is laying, so he will eat. And he roams the room to go potty..cause the litter pan is always used! THANK Goodness! He is very alert now,and will watch us, and talk to us. But when we go to pet him.. Most the time he shys away or runs off. But if we get him to let us pet him *using treats* He purrs and rolls over and really seems to do all the things that cats do to show he is enjoying the attention. But, we still have to lay on the floor with him a good 15 min to get him off the shelf sometimes.
He is starting to play.. a little. But, not like a normaly 5mo old Kitten yet.

Now, I am not sure if we are doing this all right..as I have never had a cat like this. Topaz came in, stayed in the room 3 days and was just perfect the whole time. Adjusted Really well to the dogs and everything..with no shyness. He was a yr when we got him.

But, he has been in the spare room alone since we got him. he has a TON of toys, a water bowl, litter pan, and we feed him 2x a day in there. We sit in there with him a LOT Through the day. We have been using treats to get him out to get some lovin'. Are there any other things we can do to help him along?! I mean, we have a cat and 3 big dogs to intro him to eventually. And we are fully aware it could take a cpl weeks to get him to the point to intro the dogs. :-/ But, I want to make sure we are doing everything right to make him comfy.

Do we keep with what we are doing..and he will come around?! Or do we push him a little at a time to come out. What are some ideas to keep him moving along in the right direction! We love this kitty and want him to be happy. He was from a shelter, so I have no idea his background. He is UTD on shots, and neutered.

Thanks for any advice!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like he is coming along at a normal pace. I wouldn't rush it, let him do his thing on his time schedule.

He probably realizes there are dogs in the house. This could put him in a wary state of mind. But the fact that he still comes out, even after a bit, to be petted it a good sign.

As you don't know his history, who knows what fear he has faced in his life. I would offer him alternate places to hide that are a bit more accessable to you. Also, how about a window perch and bird feeder. He needs something more to focus on than his fear.

But the way you are doing it sounds good to me. Spend as much time with him as possible. It took me 9 months to tame down a feral cat the same way. Cats are notorious for taking their time!! I would lay on the floor and just play solitaire, and before I knew it, my feral was laying nearby watching. I played a lot of cards, but it paid off. I never initiated touching, I let him come to me when he was ready, and then, just a bit at a time.

You are so good to take this kitty in. Congrats, and IMO, it just takes time.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on the new baby!

All kitties are different. They all have their own personalities and some are simply more shy/skittish than others. Give him time, and I'm sure he'll come around. You're doing great so far!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks So much! I Just have never dealt with a Kitty like this.. Lol! So I Didn't want to do anything that would Hurt him.. Or Make him regress. My husband sits in there to do stuff on the comp a lot. And was in there last night.. And said he was sitting on top his CPU and stared at him. And would come out and play a little, then go back under the comp desk. And would come out and let him pet him and go back and hide. And when he left for the night to come to bed.. He said Kitty followed him and "Squeeky meowed" At him.. as if to say Hey! Where u going! lol

So, I am Hoping things are coming along with him.

Topaz was sitting on the other side of the Spare room door this AM.. and sticking his Paws under it. Lol! And he did the Lil Chirping sound. I Think he knows there is another kitty in there. :-D

But in the room, We have a Fluffy bed, a Small Cat Tower thing that has a cubby in the bottom he could Hide in, a Vinyl Looking Tower play house, a Tunnel.. lol And Lots of toys. But, he still goes under the desk. I Put a Fleece Blanket on the shelf for him to lay on..and he will still lay on the wooden part that isnt covered with a blanket. lol!

Thanks for letting me know I am doing things Ok.
We looked for a while for a kitty we both liked. And we found him.. and Both KNEW He was ours! We knew he was timid .. But he let us hold him there and was PURRRRRING like crazy. So, was caught a bit off guard by this Standoffish behavior. I am having a hard time NOT Cuddling him lol!
But who wouldn't :-D