Very scared male Persian

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm looking for input/advice on the care of young male Persian who has come into our rescue and I am now fostering. His so called "owner" told us he came from a breeder, but was unable to provide any paperwork. So, obviously we can't consider him purebred, which is not an issue for the rescue anyway. The main thing is that this sweet boy, named Kurt, is out of situation in which he wasn't being cared for properly and was very stressful for him. He does have a flat face and I'm thinking he'd be considered a flame point because he has a cream colored body and orange/rust points. He's a gorgeous cat. He is neutered and approximately 2 1/2-3 years old. His coat is severely matted in places, so he already been shaved to remove the worst of the mats and one of the vet techs at the rescue, who is also a professional groomer, is going to gradually work on the rest. Right now, the poor sweet buy is totally traumatized. He lets me hold me and seems to like it, but has essentially retreated to under the bed in my spare room. His appetite has been poor, so we're keeping a close eye on that and I have a vet visit scheduled for this afternoon. I've socialized many feral and shy cats and kittens, so am confident with some time, patience, good care and a lot of love, Kurt will come around. In the meantime, any input regarding the care, personality, etc...of Persians would be appreciated. I'll post pics once Kurt has relaxed a little. 

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from the time and TLC he clearly needs, getting him a Lion cut under sedation might help by getting rid of the need for almost anything but 'faux' grooming for the time being.  Obviously he will need 'grooming' on a regular basis - gently combing him through very little fur - but as his coat grows back he will gradually get used to the sensation of the comb going through his longer coat.  I do think that grooming him is an important part of helping him recover.

Persians have a 'dumb' reputation in the pedigree world though I'm not sure how deserved it is!  Otherwise they are like any other cat except for needing more ane more through grooming than other cats.  Just how much more depends on their coat, which varies from cat to cat.

Looking forward to the photos!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they need any special attention to food due to the short muzzle?  I've always wondered about that.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they need any special attention to food due to the short muzzle?  I've always wondered about that.
No. However I would have the cat tested for PKD (dna test). Sounds like he's a red or cream point, which means his coat is likely more prone to matting (usually the case with paler color coats).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. After some TLC from our vet techs at the rescue last night, fluids and an appetite stimulant, Kurt is at least eating some now and has used the litter box. When I came into his room this morning, he was on the cat tree instead of under the bed, so that's progress. I agree the grooming is going to be a big part of his care and earning his trust. A lion cut under sedation is on the agenda at the vet tomorrow. He is such a sweet, sweet boy, just so scared right now. I hate to think what he went through in his former home. I don't think he was deliberately mistreated, but he was definitely neglected and the chaos was just too much for him. I just wish there was a way for him to understand that he's safe. That will come with time.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with getting him tested for PKD.  They can take a swab while he is sedated - it's just twizzling a cotton bud against the inside of his check to pick up some cells.  If he tests positive it's something you can't cure it, but if you know he has it you can be much more vigilent and also feed him appropriately.  How quickly it progresses varies a lot from cat to cat.