Very random question: for "snakeaphobics"

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Nope! While I'm not crazy about snakes, I have held them before, without any fear. I also think they can be very colorful and pretty. I do collect snake-themed jewelry for some reason--esp. bracelets. It's sort of one of my clothing "trademarks". I also have a licence plate on the front of my car, which has a cobra. Yet, I wouldn't say that snakes are a favorite animal. Go figure...

That's a pretty snake in your avatar, BTW!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Without my glasses it looks like a cinnamon roll. It doesn't bother me
Boy, I hope you're never in the reptile house at a zoo, forgotten your glasses, AND are hungry!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

That doesn't seem to work with avatars. I tried it on one just to test and it only gives you the option to block images from tcs.com which I wouldn't want to do! It seems to work with sigs, blocking just the particular site they are hosted at though.
Hmm. True. But there is another extension called "Remove Permanently" or something like that. Right clicking the image and picking that option will remove the one avatar and not all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input everyone.... Appreciate it.

I completely understand those with a fear of snakes.... I really do even tho I don't have the same fear. Some people I've been able to help, others, no way.

I'm going to go with the majority who've said No it doesn't bother them, or if it does, they look past it.... Thank you for doing so.

I do rotate it from time to time.... Right now tho, I'm excited bout getting new snakes, hence the snake avatar

However, I will not use the close up ones, nor will I make one that shows the mouth/teeth. I hope that helps some.

Again, I appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm going to be completely honest and tell you "Yes, it bothers me."
I have a completely irrational fear of snakes, so muich so that you couldn't pay me to touch just a picture of one. Now, having said that, when I see your user name I figure there's going to be a picture of one of those creatures involved. I scroll past it very quickly so that I don't really have to look at it.
I think it's very nice of you to ask the question, but don't change your avatar on my account. Like I said, I just scroll past it quickly!
However, I will not use the close up ones, nor will I make one that shows the mouth/teeth. I hope that helps some.
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Well, I'm going to be completely honest and tell you "Yes, it bothers me."
I have a completely irrational fear of snakes, so muich so that you couldn't pay me to touch just a picture of one. Now, having said that, when I see your user name I figure there's going to be a picture of one of those creatures involved. I scroll past it very quickly so that I don't really have to look at it.
I think it's very nice of you to ask the question, but don't change your avatar on my account. Like I said, I just scroll past it quickly!

You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!
I'm glad you were honest about it.... seriously.... I didn't think about it at first, and I now realise that the other snake oriented one I have, would be incredibly frightening to you, and will not use it again.

I'd like to make it a win/win situation, or at least one that is not totally a lose/lose situation if that makes sense. I don't always have a snakie avatar, but I did mean what I said and the other one I've used in the past will no longer be used.... I will stay away from mouth/teeth/tongue and "in your face" shots, and stay with the style that I have now....it is indeed part of me, but if everyone responded they were bothered by it, I would change it.....

I'd like to thank you, and everyone else who does it, for giving me the courtesy of scrolling past my avatar to read my posts (as opposed to just throwing me on ignore because of my avatar), I appreciate it and will do what I can to make it as painless as possibly for all concerned.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont mind your avatar but I do think you are an awesome person for even considering to ask anyone else how they felt about it..You are truely an amazing person Chris..Im going to do a search though about your snakes because even though I have a fear of seeing them in the "wild" I dont mind pet snakes too much I even used to feed an old neighbors boa when he was on vacation!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cinnamon roll? *turns head sideways and blurs eyes*... hmm maybe. Cinnamon bun would make a cute name for a snake, though!

Corns are pretty. Chances are because they come in such nice colors, and are small, that many people aren't as bothered by them as they would be seeing some snakes. My mother hates snakes but would actually stop and look in cages with bright corns.

Pamela - I don't know if you'd consider any type of therapy for that. That reaction is pretty severe and must make it difficult for you.
I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Though, I honestly don't understand why anyone would take their snake to a store that sells reptiles, and commonly unhealthy ones. I'd be very worried about the slightest chance of contamination (I'll take clothes off in the utility room if I think I've possibly come in contact with a sick cat... and hope the blinds aren't open!
) - besides that, it's not really far to those who are very phobic. I've found that the perfect reptile to show most people is a turtle, surely no one is scared of them?