Very quiet 4 month old from shelter, is it normal?

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here and I am new to the site. I really hope someone can help me out with a few questions I have.

I am a little concerned about my new cat, Major Tom. We picked him up yesterday from the shelter and he is very friendly and affectionate. Loves cuddles and hugs but he does not play at all. My other cat, Captain Midnight, (they have not met yet) was from the same shelter two years ago and still plays and carries on like a kitten but he was the first cat I have ever owned so I'm just not sure what 'normal' is. Is this his personality? Is it just that he is settling in? I am wondering if perhaps Major Tom is unwell and thats why he doesnt do much. I dont mind if this is how he is, I would love a lap cat but it just seems so strange compared to Captain. I will ring the vet tomorrow morning (its sunday night now) for a check up. He does have a slightly runny nose so I'm concerned he may have cat flu.

The other thing is he has hardly eaten anything, again the total opposite to Captain. What is the normal amount of food for a 4 month old? We have dry kitten food for him, the same as what he had at the shelter. He has probably eaten about 10 pieces. He has drunk some water. The packet says 30grams for his age but he hasn't had anywhere near that much.

ALSO he peed on the floor and not in his tray, is it possible that he doesnt know to use the tray? I understand he may just be nervous. But he isn't skitty at all. I have done lots of reading on tray placement etc so have found a better spot now I think. I put some newspaper with his wee on it in the tray hoping that he will get the idea.

All I know of his history is that he was left at the shelter one night (they have cages for animals to be dropped off all hours) and no one came to claim him. He was there for a month and they said he was very easy going, good with the other cats and spent his time looking out the window. Its a government run shelter RSPCA so there were lots of cats in the room which would have made it hard for them to know how much he was eating or if he was using the tray.

Alot of questions sorry! He is a really lovely fellow and I want him to settle in well. We are in Australia if that makes any difference?!?

Would really appreciate your help with any of my questions.

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell, but with your concerns I think that a vet visit is in order. If nothing else, you can be reassured that he is just more easy going boy and possibly getting used to his new home. Do you have him confined? I have found that it's easier for them to first get used to a smaller space (I usually keep them in a spare bedroom) before letting them have access to the whole house.

Bless your heart for rescuing this boy.

catmom5

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found the best of cats may fail to use the litter box the first time or two in a new environment.  I would be sure Major Tom (shouldn't that be Thom?) is in a small enough area to be able to find the litter box easily, and that it doesn't smell of any other cat.  You want him to have a "safe territory" where we won't feel threatened at all.

It sounds like he may be feeling a little under the weather.  A checkup is in order, to be sure he doesn't hae some underlying problem.  But many cats are reluctant to eat, drink, or use the litter box in a strange new environment.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and thanks for your reply. Yes we are off to the vet today. He did eat some food last night which I wetted down but noticed he didn't chew. Soooo many questions for the vet! He is in the lounge/kitchen area as Captain is in the laundry and sunroom (his usual spaces) and all the other rooms are bedrooms which we use. The lounge room also has the fire and if hes not on our laps he is by the fire. It is abit busy which is not ideal but I cant see a better option and its good to be able to keep an eye on him. There are lots of hidy holes for him but he doesn't want to hide. Who knows! I just hope the vet can give me some solid answers then I will know where to go from here.

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Catmom5. I think he is unwell. Dont they always choose sundays to need the vet! My other cat, Captain, settled in on day one, not bothered by anything and by the end of the week he was outside for walks. Major Tom is off to the vet once they open. I am hoping we can sort this out and he will be more comfortable to enjoy his new home. I think he may have a very different personality to Captain but I guess it still is early days.

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I'd just update that we have an appointment at 2pm this avo for the vet so will let you know what the outcome is. I have found that after wiping the dried dribbles from his nose with a damp cloth then offering him food he seems more interested so perhaps being clugged up is making it hard for him to smell his food. I guess comming from a shelter means there will be lots of diseases entering. He came with vet insurance covering things like cat flu, ear mites, diarrhoea etc for the first 14 days so you can only assume it happens pretty often. Just hope he is ok

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And for another update! The vet diagnosed cat flu, prescribed antibiotics and the improvement from last night is MASSIVE! YAY!!!!
He has been eating! I processed some cooked kangaroo and zuchinni and he lapped heaps of it up this morning. He had also pooped and weed in his tray!!! He drank lots of water last night too so I had a feeling he might be getting there. It must have been a secondary infection for the antibiotics to work so instantly, just like kids! He is still very cuddly and snuggly so I think that is his personality he is just much quieter than Captain (which wouldnt be hard!) I am sure he will come out of his shell more as he improves but I am just so happy that he is feeling better.

meowowow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I'm soooo pleased. He is way more inquisitive now but just loves being around us. I've noticed he sits on my lap then after a while looks deeply into my eyes and starts to very gently pat my cheeks no claws just super gentle pats. After that he hops up and walks around my neck then back down into my lap again. He is a very sweet little boy.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a real turnaround!  I hope the improvement continues.  I know that we assume that any cat who stays in the shelter two weeks will come down with an Upper Respiratory Infection.  I warn adopters to watch for it.

It's amazing how different cats' personalities can be.  Sound like you got a lover in this one!