Very Protective Kitty

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Primrose (Prim) is almost 4 years old, I got her at around 9 weeks and brought her home to another female, Katniss, who at the time was around 4. Like all kittens, she wanted to play with Katniss, who slowly accepted her. Katniss was a sweetheart to everyone, Prim was always more picky. She did not like other animals, only Katniss, and she was slow to approach other people, except me. When she was almost 2 my (former) girlfriend and I moved from TX to my home state of WA. She had a male kitty, Calvin, and I could only keep one of mine. I chose Prim because she's the first cat I've ever gotten just by myself, not in a relationship or roommate situation, just one "parent". I think she got super attached to me, because whatever room we're in together, she hisses at anyone who comes in, but she rarely hisses at me (and when she does it almost seems like a knee jerk reaction before she realizes it's me), she's putty when I'm petting her. Anyway, we had Calvin and Prim and we (she) decided we needed a kitten. I disagreed, so we got a kitten, Graycie (she's gray...I'm original). Calvin was in heaven, he loved having a little one to snuggle. Prim seemed happier too, since Calvin wasn't bugging her so much anymore. Couple months ago, we broke up and she took Calvin back to TX, while I kept Prim and Graycie. I sorta anticipated that, with no more stress from "mommy and daddy" arguing all the time, things would be a lot calmer and Prim would start to accept Graycie more. I wasn't entirely wrong, she allows Graycie to snuggle her and occasionally will jump up and snuggle Graycie, sometimes they even play, but Prim is short tempered. Having them around during the breakup was a life saver, they knew something was up and they came to the rescue. I refuse to be ashamed of admitting that I talk to them. Kitty talk mostly, but they're great for just having a living creature around when something is on your mind, you know.

IMG_20171223_111240_738[1].jpg

Anyway, Prim isn't necessarily protective of the room she's in, it seems more like she's protective of the room I'm in. She's never physically lashed out at a person, at least as long as they're smart enough to not reach to touch her while she's hissing. She will swat at the dogs in the house, but they're mostly smart enough to leave her alone by now. She hates my roommate, a mid-50's, very loud and boisterous woman. I'm not sure if something happened in the past that makes Prim distrust her, or if it's just because she's loud and obnoxious, either way, she hisses and growls whenever she's within earshot. I've also noticed over the last 6 months or so, that Prim's eye's change color, seemingly based on her mood. I've never managed to get a good picture of her eyes, but they're normally a yellowish-light gold color. When she's upset or agitated, they get darker, more copper or orange. When she's happy, like when she's upside-down in my lap and I'm petting the top of her head and neck (her favorite spots) I've seen them go full on brilliant green. It happens consistently, and the effect is much more pronounced when seen under bright light like the sun or the 500 watt halogen shop light over my workbench. Sometimes I can actually see the change as it happens, like if I'm petting her and the roommate comes out to let the dogs out, as soon as she hears the roommate, she goes on full alert and the eyes go orange.

With Prim, I was financially irresponsible/had a bout of bad luck and wasn't able to get her spayed until she was almost 2, so she'd had several heat cycles. I think this is why she got so very attached to me. She's very much a daddy's girl. She's not needy or desperate by any stretch, she rarely begs for my attention or anything, she just absolutely loves when I do give it. She'll jump up on my lap, snuggle/get petted for 30 seconds, then jump down like she's had enough, but other times I'll be petting her and go to pull my hand away and she'll try to grab it with her front paws. No one else, even the ex girlfriend I was with for over 2 years, was ever able to pet Prim like I could without getting hissed at or simply run away from. The ex was also the only other person that Prim allowed to pet her on her head, anyone else tries and she hisses. Anyway, having observed that, I allowed Graycie to go through heat once before getting her spayed and I'm seeing attachment, though not to the same level. Of course, Graycie isn't even a year old yet, so we'll see. The entire reason I signed up to this site was because I noticed Graycie's eyes changing color too and googled it, but I didn't find anything that talked about variable eye color (as opposed to one-time or one-way changes) except a post on here from more than 10 years ago. I was petting Graycie, she hopped in my lap and started wandering for a stable footing, all while rubbing against me as much as she could. She climbed up and stuck her face right in mine, which was adorable, and I noticed her eyes. They're normally gold around the edges, with a tinge of green around the pupil. She was clearly very content, and I noticed that her eyes were now green around the edges with tinges of light blue around the pupil. After admiring them and pampering her for a bit longer, I removed her from my lap to adjust my legs and write this post. Looking at her eyes now, they've gone back to normal gold/green, I haven't petted her in 15 minutes. I've always adored cats with green eyes, my very first kitty was a tuxedo with green eyes. My ex-wife still has him. When I got prim she had regular "cat" yellow eyes, and Graycie had dark gray that turned into gold later, then the gold/green more recently. I'm sure I could look way too deep into this, so I guess I'll just consider myself lucky that both my cats tend toward green eyes when they're happy.

Sorry if this came across as more of a blog post, and I know I have a tendency to go off-topic so I won't be offended if this is moved, I originally intended to just write about Prim's behavior, but I honestly kinda like that she's very protective of and attached to daddy, pretty much exclusively. I guess since I'll feel better posting a question, anyone have any ideas on why Prim is so incredibly attached to me? Does it have anything to do with having gone through heat, or is it more a function of me being a constant in her life for as long as she can remember, whereas everyone else has been relatively fleeting. She just straight up does not like people other than me (a sentiment which, if I'm honest, I share with her). She'll warm up to visitors, when I have friends over, as long as they let her come to them and don't move too quickly toward her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first thing I'd want to know is how long ago you moved? If it was recently, Prim is still adjusting to new territory, and is clinging to you for support. IF this is the case, the behavior will probably taper off in time. However, if it has been some time since you moved, she may suffer from separation anxiety, and it could be moderately severe, since she will guard whatever room you are in. This might help in that case: Separation Anxiety In Cats.

You can help her become more socialized by having people whom you can trust to move slowly and speak softly come into the room where the two of you are at random times and place a cat treat near her without making eye contact or attempting to touch her. Have them bring their hand in low, rather than from above her, which can be threatening to a cat. And don't have them place the treat too near, just so she sees and smells it. This will allow her to start to associate other people being near the two of you with good things happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a really good idea, I think I'll try that if I can get some friends over this weekend. She's familiar with these friends, in fact she vigorously rubbed her face against the ankle of one of them, but wouldn't let her pet her. I've moved several times since the initial move from TX to WA (for which we drove), but I've lived in this house since july of last year, so she's well acclimated to it. I think it probably doesn't help that my roommate berates her if she hisses or growls, instead of just ignoring it. Like, she'll holler at her to get over herself or shut the h*ll up or some such, usually in a loud, frustrated voice. On the occasions where Prim has hissed at me, I usually just calmly say "oh shut up" or "hey, stop" or something like that, in a normal tone, without jerking my hand away or changing my actions. I know she's all bark...er...hiss, and no bite, but other people don't and they react, which scares her.

I know she's been through a lot, as far as kitties are concerned. She grew up with Katniss, who she adored, then when I started dating my ex she moved in with her cat. At that point she was used to my ex but the new cat dynamic with Prim and Katniss was not good, Katniss didn't like other cats either. Then not long after, 2 weeks before the big move, I took her to get spayed and the same day took Katniss to her new home (with many miserable tears). I had to live with my brother for those 2 weeks and he's not a fan of cats, so Prim was picked up by and had to stay with a friend for that time. Finally, I picked up Prim from my friend and we started the drive across the country immediately. We made it in 2 days, stopped once and let them (Calvin and Prim) out, and she ended up snuggling in my lap all night. When we got to Washington, we stayed with my mom for a few days and had them with us for that time, then had to take them to my ex-wife's stepmom, because we were told we weren't allowed cats where we were going to be living, with my grandma. Turns out she didn't have a problem with cats, so we brought them home. We moved 3 more times after that until we settled at this place. After 5 months living here, my ex and I broke up, she took Calvin and moved back to TX. She's not sad Calvin is gone, he kinda bullied her, but she's not fond of all of Graycie's attention being focused on her now.

In retrospect, she seems somewhat comfortable with certain people. If she's interacted with them before in a good way, or if they've completely ignored her and let her come to them then she's usually ok. Nothing like how she is with me, but tolerant at least. She seems very skiddish of loud activities, noises, and people. My roommate manages to make every activity loud and obnoxious, so it's not surprising she doesn't like her.

I will definitely try having my friends nonchalantly place treats for her, so that she can clearly see she's not threatened, but that the treat is for her. It'll be a pain keeping Graycie off it, some of Calvin's bullying rubbed off on her. She just HAS to eat out of whatever food bowl Prim is trying to eat from.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just put Graycie in another room when you are doing the excercises. She won't like it, but it won't kill her. And leave a treat or two with her, as well, just to soften the blow!

OH MY, Prim has been through a LOT!

And your roommate isn't helping one bit. Do you think that she would be willing to read a couple of short articles? They may actually help!

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Also tell her (I strongly suggest a soft, reasonable tone of voice for this, no matter how frustrated you are) that most of Prim's hissing and such is fear-related, and that if your roommate can just soften her response to it, that will go a long way to helping Prim stop the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just put Graycie in another room when you are doing the excercises. She won't like it, but it won't kill her. And leave a treat or two with her, as well, just to soften the blow!

OH MY, Prim has been through a LOT!

And your roommate isn't helping one bit. Do you think that she would be willing to read a couple of short articles? They may actually help!

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Also tell her (I strongly suggest a soft, reasonable tone of voice for this, no matter how frustrated you are) that most of Prim's hissing and such is fear-related, and that if your roommate can just soften her response to it, that will go a long way to helping Prim stop the behavior.
I have indeed tried to tell her, she just doesn't seem to care to do anything about it. She has 5 dogs (which is why I spend most of my time with the kitties in the garage), and she's really just a terrible pet owner overall. It seems more like she has dogs just to have them around. Talking to her about anything serious is kinda like talking to a brick wall. I'm looking forward to when I've got enough money saved to get my own place. For now I have to make do with what I have, which is still a roof over my head.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good grief. Yeah, save like mad, and/or try to find a better roommate situation! Let me know how things are going. I'm with you all the way!