Very Pregnant Stray Cat

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've started feeding the stray cats in my neighborhood since my husband works at a farm/pet store and brings home discounted food for our cat and dog, I figured since I have it and could spare why not feed the strays that live in my neighborhood.

I started my feeding and gaining the trust of a pregnant cat that I started calling Mama. I noticed that Mama was always with another female cat (a friend or maybe even her sister) so I started feeding them both.

One day I came to feed the girls when I noticed that Mama looked thinner and she had a clipped ear. I then read up that some people catch spay and release stray cats. In her case They would have had to abort the kittens

I kept feeding the girls. Mama which was no longer going to be a mama kept the name since she responds to it. She trust me enough to pet her and pick her up but I didn't bring her home since I needed her to gain the other cat's trust. I soon found out that the other female was also expecting as she was getting bigger and bigger by the week.

Just recently, this past Tuesday, I felt like she was going to give birth. She stopped eating for about 2 days and then she just disappeared. Mama will still come out to eat but the pregnant cat "Bella" was no longer coming out for food. It's been 5 days now since I've seen her. My plan was to get them both to trust me to bring them home, to keep them. Fix the mother after the kittens were weaned off and rehome the kittens when the time was right. But now I have no idea where Bella is. I don't know if she had her kittens. I don't know if an animal rescue caught her and aborted the kittens.. I don't even know if she is okay. I worry about her a lot.

I came here to ask.. If she did have her kittens already how long before she leaves her kittens to go out and eat? And should I try to find her and the kittens or wait till they start coming out themselves? I've worked so hard to gain Bella's trust and she still doesn't completely trust me but she was getting used to me feeding and talking to her. I wouldn't want her to not trust me at all but I also worry about her and the kittens living outside.

Mama is the brownish one that was spayed and released while pregnant. I still feed her every morning and afternoon.

Bella is the very pregnant siamese one.
And It's been 5 days since I last saw her.
Screenshot_2018-03-29-18-18-52.png

Screenshot_2018-03-23-09-58-46.png

Screenshot_2018-03-28-16-58-04.png
Screenshot_2018-03-28-16-56-06.png

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know who in the neighborhood might be trapping the cats? Perhaps you or your husband could ask around to try to determine what may have happened to Bella.

If she had her kittens she would have come out to eat by now. Are you sure she is stray?

Both are beautiful cats!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
The other rescue may have even trapped her and have her in a foster home until the babies are weaned! I would reach out to some rescues and see if they have her! Usually the moms come back a day or two after having the kittens and they are ravenous!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
its a little OT here, but I wonder, what does the tortie, the righty, has for color on her eyes? if they are blue she is a point she too.
Anyways, she is probably a torbie, that is why she is difficult to analyse her pattern and colors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I believe she was a stray because she's been out there for so long and not very trusting of humans. But she was getting used to me only because the brown one was trusting me. And she loved when I would bring her the soft food.

The tortie has very light brown eyes, as light as her fur. I just figured they were either friends or sisters since they were inseparable. Which is why I'm a bit upset. I was going to take them both in so they would stay together. But if a rescue did catch her why did they spay and release the tortie color mama but keep Bella. I hate to think it's because she a Siamese, because the tortie Mama was very very pregnant as well until she was returned fixed that is.

I will definitely be reaching out to my local shelter and rescues. I would hate to have the girls separated.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my husband and I walked around the area where I usually feed them. And he thinks that see may be in a she's that is locked up but has an opening towards the bottom. Should I leave food for her near the shed? I don't want to attract other animals if that is where she has her babies. I started putting her favorite wet food out (Solid gold Purrfect Pairings savory mousse) in hopes that she will smell it and come out. But nothing yet.

I also read on another forum that some Mother cats will not leave their kittens side. Has anybody had experience with this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What makes you think she is in the locked shed?

You could try calling her and bringing food, but if you just leave it, you will not know who is eating it.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What makes you think she is in the locked shed?

You could try calling her and bringing food, but if you just leave it, you will not know who is eating it.
We were looking around and my husband noticed that the shed had two locks at the top but not on the bottom and there is a big enough opening for her to fit in. I just don't want to put food in front of the she's and then it attracts raccoons or something.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its a little OT here, but I wonder, what does the tortie, the righty, has for color on her eyes? if they are blue she is a point she too.
Anyways, she is probably a torbie, that is why she is difficult to analyse her pattern and colors.

The brown tortie color one has very light brown eyes, just as light as her fur. but other than color they look like they may be from the same litter (their facial features). And they are so very close to one another.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_2018-04-09-16-07-05.png
Capture+_2018-04-09-16-05-50.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, tx. On the first pic the eyes look pale blue, but on the next more brownish. YOU see them as brownish. Thus, she isnt a point, unlike her sister. But she is a nice tortie and tabby = torbie. And those are often difficult to analyse. Which in itself is a give away. :) She is also diluted, ie blue and creme. Btw, sis is diluted she too, that is why her point color is blue.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, tx. On the first pic the eyes look pale blue, but on the next more brownish. YOU see them as brownish. Thus, she isnt a point, unlike her sister. But she is a nice tortie and tabby = torbie. And those are often difficult to analyse. Which in itself is a give away. :) She is also diluted, ie blue and creme. Btw, sis is diluted she too, that is why her point color is blue.
Thank you so much

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding a pregnant stray for awhile now but was unable to catch her. As she still didn't trust people. In my neighborhood there are a lot of stay cats since people move and leave them behind.

So this pregnant stray that I named Bella didn't show up for feeding these past 5 day. I think she may have had her kittens. This morning she was waiting for me where I usually feed her. And she looked a bit thinner.

Attached are before and after photos.. Can someone tell me if she had her kittens.. Or if maybe they just moved around getting ready to be born. Thank you in advance ❤

Last week:
Screenshot_2018-03-28-16-56-37.png

Screenshot_2018-03-28-16-56-06.png

& This morning (4/10):
20180410_100744_Film1.jpg

Screenshot_2018-04-10-13-20-16.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like she had them to me, a shot from the side would be good to show her belly. 5 days not showing up is usually a good indication the kittens are here. Make sure you try to find where they are by following her so you can socialize them. Usually around three weeks old. Try to tame mama so she can be spayed, I have lost so many to birthing, it is a heartache. Please keep mus posted!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like she had her kittens. Hopefully, you will be able to follow her to the kittens and get all of them safe inside. If not, once the kittens are more mobile she may bring them over to show them where to get food. At which point, if they are around 6 weeks old it would be wise to capture them so they can be socialized and find good homes. Feral kittens are one of the few cases where I say it is okay to take a kitten away from Mom young; assuming you can socialize and find homes for them.

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like she had them to me, a shot from the side would be good to show her belly. 5 days not showing up is usually a good indication the kittens are here. Make sure you try to find where they are by following her so you can socialize them. Usually around three weeks old. Try to tame mama so she can be spayed, I have lost so many to birthing, it is a heartache. Please keep mus posted!

Yes my goal is to catch her and the kittens and bring them home. I would love to keep her (I fell in love with her already). How soon after she has her babies can I get her fixed?

Belenvm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like she had her kittens. Hopefully, you will be able to follow her to the kittens and get all of them safe inside. If not, once the kittens are more mobile she may bring them over to show them where to get food. At which point, if they are around 6 weeks old it would be wise to capture them so they can be socialized and find good homes. Feral kittens are one of the few cases where I say it is okay to take a kitten away from Mom young; assuming you can socialize and find homes for them.
Thank you for the help, I couldn't follow her today because she didn't seem to want to move. She was very hungry and tired. But I'll keep trying.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat. I hope she either leads you to her kittens, or eventually brings them to you, so everyone can have a happy ending. :catlove: