Very pregnant... no milk ??? HELP

weeme-x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cats is very pregnant and im guessing she is due any day now.. how do i know if she has milk in ???? Her nipples are pinker than usual and only slightly bigger, i dont know what i expected to see i just assumed that her nipples would be alot bigger n filled with milk... Please help X

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually don't get bigger till the kittens start nursing. But you can check her to see if there is milk by gently milking her a little (the back ones are usually the most full just before delivery).

If you can express a drop or two of milk, she should have the kittens within 48 hrs. You might want to put a little vegetable oil on the nipples to soften them up for the babies.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything is probably fine. They won't get as big as you nwould think. So long as they are pink and a bit swollen, she should be normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weeme-x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for answering so quick.. was getting a bit worried about her lol. x

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't worry about it. Like most mammals, mothers don't really secrete milk when they start nursing, but a milk-like fluid that is very high in protein. It's not much, but it's very good for the nursing kittens (and babies, pups, etc.). She probably won't have any actual milk for a day or two, possibly a week. If the kittens get sick or don't stop crying, then something may be wrong with her and she won't be producing milk, but that's not an issue until after birth.