Very Pregnant Cat Help!!!

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I have never had a pregnant cat before and I'm freaking out I took her to the vet last week because I just found out she was pregnant and the vet said any day now she will deliver and I'm just wanting to know the signs of labor I have observed that she lost appetite finally ate some, I been taking temp yesterday was 100.3 and that night dropped to 99.5 and this afternoon it dropped to 98.5 and they said that's a for sure sign and also she has a little of dirreaha is that normal? I can still see and feel kittens moving been checking on her and she s just laid around I'm just wondering is birth soon? Like days away? Or hours away? Should I wake up every 2 hours tonight? I just don't know what to expect I have all the birthing supplies and nest as well so just wondering when I will see her kittens I'm just super nervous!!!! HELP!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's difficult to say when a cat gets to the end if it will be hours or days.

The lounging, the loss of appetite, and the diarrhea are signs that her body is preparing.

You can stop taking her temperature. It's not a reliable indicator and is uncomfortable for her.

Are you seeing any vaginal discharge yet? That's another sign.

Once she goes into labor, you'll see ripple-like movements in her tummy. Those are contractions. Stage one can last 24 hours.

Just keep an eye on her. Try to relax so she stays relaxed. Most cats manage just fine also!

Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

Here are a couple of helpful links:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only reason I took her temp was because my vet told me to and also lots of breeders say also and I have stopped it was nerve racking for both of us and no vaginal discharge that I see she s kinda off and on aggressive so can't get a clear view but yes definitely not want to see her go through this and I didn't plan this was going to rescue kittens and was just about to adopt a cat at petsmart and found out she was pregnant that day sadly so I'm just nervous something will go wrong and I will thank you!!

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just have a few questions I'm about to go crazy. I brought her in and got all her birthing stuff ready and she has a box and everything, she gets in it and goes under th3 blankets time to time and the vet said she should give birth any day now and it still hasn't happened I was for sure yesterday that it was going to happen and nothing I mean she barely ate, had dirreaha, restless, cranky, and she seems to be dropping but she's acting normal now eating normally and just no progress on birth I'm just nervous that there's something going on should I take her in for an ultrasound which will cost alot but I have no idea when she mated I have not a clue but she s not showing signs of birth at all except nesting but she moves place to place what should I do because I'm just so clueless and restless myself....

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to have patience. Mother Nature has her own timetable.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you bring her in from? Have you been letting her outside?

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In from outside she was strictly an inside cat and my dad put her on the back porch and wanted to breed her I was extremely against it and was about to get her spayed but this happens and now she s inside my vet told me it's alot more safe and better for kittens but once it's 8 weeks she s spayed and also getting the kittens as well neutered and spayed when they are ready!

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes good acting normal and all but still no kittens sadly just a waiting game

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama had 4 Kittens total 1 was stillborn sadly I balled I think mama pulled out the umbilical cord because there wasn't one in it but 3 are healthy and nursing well been checking on mom weighed all of them they weigh normal question when is it ok to check for sex of kittens? And how to tell? But mama is doing well with kittens I'm proud and have a hole at the same time but glad the others are ok she had a very quick labor she did very well and will not let her do this again lol too much on my baby!!! Oh when is it ok to get kittens vaccines and spayed and neutered??? Thanks everyone!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you weigh them everyday, you can have a quick look see. Having several kittens too compare, its easiest to see the difference (unless all are of the same sex). Sometimes its not easy to see, even experienced persons had gone wrongly occasionally...

Vaccines sound good at about 8 weeks, spaying at 10. New homes at 12...

Deworming earlier, of course, say 4, 6, 8 weeks. (unless momma is from a long string of indoors only, deworming is almost always necessary).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:catrub:Congratulations on your new kitty family! If you aren't already doing so, I would feed her a good quality kitten food plus some KMR or goat milk. My vet begins vaccinations at 8 weeks but my sister's vet starts them at 6 weeks.
And we love updates, especially with pics:camera:

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh okay thank you!!!! And yes KMR my cat loves it I got some for her today and she went to town!! Lol how much of that should I feed her? And goat milk I saw it in the stores but didn't know if there is a specific brand I should get?? And yes I believe I have 2 boys and 1 girl and the boys gain up on the girl hahahaha and yes I'll post pics right now (: and I do have a question why was the kitten stillborn? Any ideas and why no umbilical cord it was just a hole in her tummy it was rough ): thanks everyone for the advice!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stillborn kittens usually have a serious birth defect, often in the lungs or heart. I have never heard of a missing umbilical cord but most of the kittens that I deal with are born feral. I dilute canned goat's milk or buy fresh. The best is the raw goat milk from a local farm but I know that it is hard to find. Thank you for the update :bigeyes::kitty::devilcat::sleepycat::lovecat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the cord was pulled from the belly during the birthing process. It may have been tangled. These things happen and there isn't much we can do. :(

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have noticed that one of my kittens is breathing faster than anyone, Shes the runt of the litter but she eats just fine and gaining weight as well but the breathing is what's concerning me.... also Mom bled today a little as well bright red spotch is that normal??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some spotting is normal for a week or so after delivery. The kitten sounds okay to me.

Kate1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes everyday and they all are gaining weight and moms milk has came in and I see them all nurse well. She is active as well