Very Picky Cat With Food Allergies

harilenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 year old female cat who became very ill with vomiting and diarrhea. She has been wonderfully treated by our holistic vet and had a nutriscan done to identify food allergies.She is allergic to almost everything except lamb, turkey, eggs and wheat. Prior to this we were trying to ween her off kibble and giving her canned Tilapia which she loves and now trying to introduce high quality canned turkey or lamb or raw food into her diet but she sticks her nose up at it. ( Rawz, Ziwi Peak, Rad Cat raw food, freeze dried etc). Diarrhea is intermittent but she is looking in much better shape. I am exasperated trying to find suitable wet food that she likes and able to tolerate. In the meantime we continue giving her that which we know is not at all good for her, only because she eats it!!!!!!
Help!!!!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So did they test her for Tilapia as well? What strange allergies! And I guess peas are out? (most limited ingredient canned foods contain peas, as I'm guessing you are already aware.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the raw again, particularly the Radcat, simply because they have the least "other" ingredients, and try using toppers to get her to eat it. When I first converted my littled furry beasties to raw, I had to make little marble sized meatballs and completely coat them in toppers to get them to eat. You could use something like Wholelife or Purebites 100% freeze dried Turkey. I don't know of any cats who don't love them. Purebites also makes it in lamb. You can just crush them in your hands to make a fine powder,then either sprinkle it on her food, or as I said, I painstakingly rolled tiny raw meatballs in it in case they didn't grab them up but ended up rolling them around on their plates :rolleyes2:

OR, you could try mixing a little of any new (good for her food) in with her beloved Tilapia a little at a time until she gets used to it, then slowly increase the amount of the new food until finally it's ALL new food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harilenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So did they test her for Tilapia as well? What strange allergies! And I guess peas are out? (most limited ingredient canned foods contain peas, as I'm guessing you are already aware.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the raw again, particularly the Radcat, simply because they have the least "other" ingredients, and try using toppers to get her to eat it. When I first converted my littled furry beasties to raw, I had to make little marble sized meatballs and completely coat them in toppers to get them to eat. You could use something like Wholelife or Purebites 100% freeze dried Turkey. I don't know of any cats who don't love them. Purebites also makes it in lamb. You can just crush them in your hands to make a fine powder,then either sprinkle it on her food, or as I said, I painstakingly rolled tiny raw meatballs in it in case they didn't grab them up but ended up rolling them around on their plates :rolleyes2:

OR, you could try mixing a little of any new (good for her food) in with her beloved Tilapia a little at a time until she gets used to it, then slowly increase the amount of the new food until finally it's ALL new food.
Hi,
She is allergic to peas....and yes she is allergic to whitefish under which Tilapia falls.
Toppers are a wonderful idea, covering the marble sized turkey meat balls.
Thank you so much!
I'm on it!!!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Koha is an affordable brand of wet food that has novel proteins and limited ingredient diets. You might check it out.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,
She is allergic to peas....and yes she is allergic to whitefish under which Tilapia falls.
Toppers are a wonderful idea, covering the marble sized turkey meat balls.
Thank you so much!
I'm on it!!!
Let us know how it works out.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good idea about Koha, they have very unusual recipes...What about duck and rabbit?