Very loud cat! How can I get her to stop?

cassied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a siamese mix named Ellie that is about 5 years old. I've had her since she was 4 months old. Last year, we moved to a new apartment and she started becoming increasingly vocal. I know that siameses tend to be vocal cats and I accreditted it to that and the fact that she was a little bored without my parents' dogs to keep her company anymore. But now it's gotten to the point where she talks almost constantly, especially after I've been at school.

I know that she probably misses me and I try not to be gone anymore than absolutely necesssary and then spend time with her when I get home. But it's just getting worse. For the last few months she has started whining loudly right before feeding time. I've fed her at the same time every single day since I got her. But now, when I feed her at 7:30 in the morning she starts whining like crazy around 6. And when I ignore her whining she'll either get right up by my ear and get louder or find other noisy things in the room to play with until I wake up.

Is there anyway of breaking this habit? I don't mind her talking all the time, that's fine. But I can't have her crying for nearly 2 hours before I have to get up every day.

Also, I've tried just ignoring her and then feeding her when she's quiet or rewarding her for being quiet. She just never stops whining so there is no chance to reward her.

Help!

ak12taco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a pheromone plug in, like the feliway? or perhaps a calm down herbal natural remedy? we have a 9 yr old tabby who has in the last 6 mos started that "crap" pardon the french, but we just had a baby keeping us up all night and now the cat all morning too? lol...they say ignoring them is the key...because even BAD attention is still attention and these lil furballs can demand our attention cant they?? good luck and lots kitty peace to you and yours!