Very lethargic Tabbie cat

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After two days of seeing my boy Terry 4 years old being lethargic and the vets closed for lockdown I got him to the vets as was worried for him.. Blood tests came back okay... Virus check came back okay.. Dental check okay.
Came home today and he's so lethargic and limp.. He's had a tiny bit of food and has used the litter tray. I'm perplexed as vet said everything okay.. But it's not.. I know my boy.. He's not himself. Breathing seems okay but he does lick his lips and swallows after.

Help appreciated. Thank you 🙏

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's licking his lips he could be feeling sick. Try feeding him some bland food such as chicken, maybe warm it and make sure he is drinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typical it's a national holiday so all shops are shut until the AM... I'll defo try that. But its been a few days like this now.. Blood work was good.. I even saw the results and parameters myself. He won't move and looks so sad. Someone I know this week had similar symptoms and their cat died.. So obviously I'm filled with dread and anxiety. Thank you for replying.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give your vet a call, explain about the lip licking and ask if he thinks an anti sickness injection is needed or maybe a scan. Just try any food, often strong smelling food will work such as sardines, try tempting him with a little of anything cat suitable to get him eating again. One of mine stopped eating and drinking last April and spent the night at the vets on a drip. All blood tests showed nothing, scan clear, it took nearly a week for her to eat sufficient and two weeks to get back to normal. Never found out what the problem was.

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Verna THANKS. I did say about the licking thinking it could be herpes blisters..
Your reply has eased my anxiety a bit... His third eyelids which I've never seen much if not at all were showing when I got home.. He's not throwing up at all. I'll try the strong food tomorrow when the shops open. Thank you.

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the only things I have.. Bit of rice tiny bit of butter and warm wet food... He licked it for a bit but is now shaking in the corner.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs an anti-nausea med and an anti-inflammatory to ease nausea and pain from fever. He may need a sub-q injection of fluids since he’s likely getting dehydrated.

Something is wrong and it may just be viral. I might also ask for a calcium injection. Low calcium can cause lethargy and shaking. A virus will pass, but it can knock the heck out of a cat while it’s raging. If he’s shaking he could be on the verge of seizing. Get him back to the vet and insist on some of the things I’ve mentioned.

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He drank this am but no food. Just dropped at vets. Infusion and monitoring. Pick up in 6 hours. He cried on way so did I

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I sure hope they will give him meds, and that he feels better soon. Were meds discussed?

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet said about an infusion.. I'm ignorant to what that actually is.. Defo ask in an hour when he's collectable.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like you should be doing more test such as, x-rays and possibly ultra sound. Maybe even skip the x-rays and go directly to ultra sound. Is he using the litter box at all? It could be viral but, it could also be cancer. Not to be an alarmist but with more testing you could possibly rule out cancer. Hope he gets better soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be something more, but it was stated in the original post that his blood tests were okay, so my concern at present is to get him on something for nausea so he will be able to eat, and something for pain.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my cat had cancer his blood test came back ok too, they gave him something for nausea and fluids for dehydration and sent me on my way despite the fact that I requested x-rays and ultra sound and that I didn't care how much it cost, "find out what is wrong". It wasn't until I demanded an x-ray and ultimately took him to an emergency vet for an ultra sound that I found out he had cancer.

I just feel it's best to cover all your bases if you can. With them being in Slovakia, I have no idea what kind of resources they have or the OP's financial resources but, if it were me, I wouldn't except just a blood test and hope for the best. It's just my opinion.

terrencephillip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay got my number one big boy back.. More blood tests all okay.. Ultrasound was okay.. Tad traumatic being given a cat still with tubes and bags from infusion in him still. He has a non steroid clear gel for pain and appetite I've a week's worth.. He's had a wee at home and ate immediately.. Not his normal amount but enough to seriously please me. I've come away with some special gastro food for this week... I'm in Slovakia.. I'm British.. The vet has a little English as I do a a little Slovak.. So it's hard but okay.. Single cat dad with 3 cats and juggling all this and the costs and the lockdowns.. Been on house arrest for 3 weeks as entire nation gets tested for C19 has been hard.. All this treatment has wiped me out financially.. I've myself a 5kg bag of potatoes for the week. So long as my furbabies are okay.. Thank god for the cat site and the support of cat owners and lovers out there. I don't mind isolation because I have 3 shadows that follow me.. Talk to me and give me more love than than most humans.. Crazy old cat man. This guys are my world.
IMG_20201110_233834__01.jpg
IMG_20201116_215933.jpg
IMG_20201116_215933.jpg
IMG_20201113_185951.jpg
IMG_20201108_193427.jpg
IMG_20201012_173813__01__01.jpg
IMG_20201116_215933.jpg
IMG_20201113_185951.jpg
IMG_20201108_193427.jpg
IMG_20201012_173813__01__01.jpg