(very Late) Question Of The Day. Saturday July 22.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the belated Question of The Day. By the time I realised it was Saturday it was already Sunday.

:paperbag:

Do you wear sun block? All the time or just in the summer? What kind do you prefer?

I'm so pale I'm practically see-through, so I wear factor 20 sun-block all year round. I have some factor 50 that I use if I'm going hiking or horse riding in the summer. If I'm just walking around town I wear sun block and carry a parasol. You can get away with that kind of thing over here, having pale skin is quite fashionable.

It's a struggle to find a good sun block by a Cruelty Free cosmetics company that doesn't smell too strong. I'm using one by Kanebo at the moment. It's doing the job, but it smells a bit chemically.

How about you?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not used it in the past.

However, I have vitiligo - an autoimmune issue. My body attacks and kills off the cells which give pigment (color) to skin. For 6 or 7 years, I just had a few white areas on my hands. This past winter the vitiligo spread to my face, which is now mostly white. I found a lovely big floppy hat and have made a point to wear that for this summer. I am going to have to think about what to do going forward.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't but I know I should. I have darker skin and at 61 I have only had two mild burns that were both very small areas. I should still wear it though.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If I am out on the water then yes I will. If it's around the garden I don't-I don't spend much time in the sun anyways. I use spray on sp 50 because I don't have time to wait for liquid lotion to absorb in. I used it when in May I was on the picket line-many of us got burned on cloudy days!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular user! I fancy myself not getting wrinkled via that way nor getting health issues :sunshine: if it is sunny I also have sunglasses and a sunhat.

And I use it all year round, sun or shine. The clouds only block around %10 of the suns rays, so don't let that fool anyone The rest of the UVB/UVAS come right through very easily and in abundance.

Predominantly just face, neck, decollete , hands, unless the rest of my body is exposed then they get lathered too. The only real annoying side is needed to top up every 2 hours, as that is how long sunscreen lasts.

I'm also one that cares about getting a brand cruelty free - so currently using Jouviance, who has a mineral sunblock. No animal testing themselves, parent company doesn't, and doesn't sell to China. The brand is meant for more sensitive skin altogether so fragrance is limited - just a touch of lemon scent. Of course I am not sure if it sells outside of Canada :headscratch: so far I am liking, a little goes along way. But might try something else in the future.

I'm pretty fair, being half-Finnish and half-Irish. Don't have easily burned delicate skin or anything (Minus that period where one gets used to the transition of spring and summer weather and gets a surprise burnbecause still not used to the new heat of the sun :lol: had that happen once this year already in Prague) but I am comfortable and happier being fair anyway!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When younger and before all the sunscreens, there was suntan lotion. I used to use that, or baby oil.. yes.. I always burnt.. fair skin. I finally learned my lesson and decided to use sunscreen.

A few years ago, I had some basal cell cancer removed from my face. I was told to never go out without sunscreen. I adhere to that, as soon as the sun starts getting strong. I do not wear sunscreen in the winter.

I also have vitiligo~ not bad, but it is much more prominent with a tan.

And the meds I am taking interfere with the sun. It makes me almost 'allergic' to the sun.

So I am doomed to be 'white' for the rest of my life! I do not sit in the sun, anymore.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm like you Norachan Norachan - very pale :kitty: If I was organised (and left the house more often) I'd definitely wear it in the summer. I wore it habitually in the summer when I was still able to dog walk and get to my pony every day. It's never seemed worth it in UK winters though...or most springs or autumn come to that :lol: We just don't get that much sun round here :ohwell:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up there was not as much emphasis surrounding skin cancer. I only used sun block when going to the beach. Living in an area where the summer months are limited compared to winter I was a sun worshipper. :worship:

Last year I went to a dermatologist and had a complete body skin check. So many of my friends, co-workers and relatives made me more aware of the procedure. After procrastinating I finally did it and am very grateful. The doctor did a total of 4 skin biopsies that she thought were suspicious. I promised myself if they came back negative I would never sit out in the sun again, sun block or no sun block. Fortunately for me I was very lucky, all the biopsies came back negative, and I took it as a sign from the almighty to keep my promise. ;) I also use make-up/moisturizer with sun protection in it now.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely go out in the sun so I don't bother with sun block. I am very pale and would love to have a good tan. I had some bad sun burns when I was a kid.

My mother had skin cancer when she was in her sixtes but they were able to get it all.

My sister is a sun worshiper. She goes to the beach 4 or 5 times a year just to lay on the beach to get a tan. She even cuts the grass and washes their cars just so she can spend more time in the sun.

Muffy

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only had a sunburn once in my life. Shortly after I moved up here to the mountains. Didn't account for higher elevation and no smog. The sun is brutal up here. I am half Indian (Seminole), so I have olive skin and don't burn. (except for the one time).
So, no, I don't wear sunscreen.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Freedom Freedom I understand your post perfectly. I deal with Vitiligo too. I have had it over forty years. For a while I was splotchy, but now my skin is clear and light. But I do have to be extremely careful in the sun.. I don't go to the beach. If I am outside working I wear 75 sunblock. If I were to get blistered, it would be a catastrophe.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I grew up in southern California, we had a pool at our house, and I spent WAY too much time in the sun for a fair-skinned Scandinavian type. Lots of suntan lotion and baby oil but no sunscreen. :ohwell:

Now I've had a couple of squamous cell carcinomas. Fortunately they've been small enough to get rid of entirely but I've had to change my ways and I wear sunblock every day. Still can't get in the habit of wearing hats, though. :headshake:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sure do. My daily face lotion has a low SPF. I wear it more so in the summer when more skin is exposed and definitely if I'm near water. I'm fair but I tan well; as long as I wear some sun screen. DH is a redhead; so sunscreen is a part of our life around here. He is also into these new fabrics that protect the skin. On long trips he has these half-finger gloves that help protect his hands. We also have a waver from the dermatologist to keep window tint on the front side windows of our cars because he is exposed to the sun at work. He has an assortment of wide brimmed, outdoorsy hats and recently bought DD one.

I've had a really hard time finding sunscreen for my DD though. She's fair and doesn't tan much. Unfortunately she has reacted to even most sensitive sunscreens; especially on her face. Her skin will turn pink then peel over a few days. :cringe::disappointed: Lately I just put my face lotion on her because that doesn't bother her face. I found the Blue Lizard brand sensitive sunscreen recently and though it's expensive; she doesn't seem to have issues with it. What else can I do ya know? :sigh:Fortunately DS has my coloring and skin tone. It's kind of amusing. He and DD start out near the same skin color but after spending equal amounts of time outdoors he comes inside several shades darker than DD. :lol2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 It's easy to forget how much stronger the sun is up in the mountains, isn't it. I've got sunburnt out walking in the snow before.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan The parasol and gloves wouldn't look too good with my jeans or capris. I could do them for church. We have a lady who wears a hat every single Sunday and most of the other services too. I thought it would start a fad, but it hasn't yet.

The best way I deal with my skin being pale and all pigment gone due to the vitiligo is sun block or stay out of the sun.
It generally works.