(Very Late) Question of the Day - Monday, August 28, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for this very long delay. Yesterday was one of those Mondays where every time I went to sit down at my laptop something else needed my attention. :runaround: And I had to get up really early so I wasn't running on a full tank of energy even with coffee. :rolleyes2:

What is the longest and shortest you have ever had your hair? How do you prefer it now?

When I was in the 4th grade my mother decided we should have matching haircuts. She had my hair not only cut "pixie" style but PERMED. I called it a boy cut. And she's never quite lived it down. :lol: She claims I wasn't letting her take care of my hair; but having a young kid with waist length hair myself now; I kind of doubt I was truly giving her trouble because she always says I was an easy kid. And really; brushing DD's waist length hair and pulling it back was always super simple. As was washing it.

After that I grew my hair out to be below my waist and I loved it long. I still prefer it several inches below my shoulders; but I can't let it go past mid back before it gets annoying and uncomfortable. My hair has gotten more wavy as I've gotten older and I wake up looking like something between the Cowardly Lion and an 80s rocker. It ain't pretty! :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As a young child my parents kept my hair chin length but as I got older I grew it out. When I was a teenager my hair was halfway down my back. Then when the Dorothy Hamill look was in style I cut it. I wore it like that for awhile and when I went to get a trim after my first child was born the stylist obviously didn't listen and gave me what looked like a Liza Minnelli haircut. :eek: :eek2: I was shocked and swore I'd never get a short haircut again.:nono:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very curly hair now...but it only happened when I hit puberty. So my shortest was when I was about 12 and to help with my unruly, mostly straight but messy hair (that we now know was "trying" to curl) I got my hair layered to help bring out the "waves". It went from sholder length and shrunk to a full on 2 inch fro sitting on the top of my head right before my eyes.
The longest is now. After the aformentionned event...I never cut my hair again. It's still super curly and sits to just above my waist while curly but if I pull it straight it goes just past my hips. It has been falling out over the last few years from stress, so my longest hair is very thin. My hair will fill back in again...but it doesn't look as great as it used to so I have been thinking about trimming the last of my long hair to help with more volume and shape, which will still leave me with mid back length hair...but I'm terrfied.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The longest my hair was was down below my bra strap.

The shortest it's even been was a "pixie" cut that looked absolutely horrid. It was that bad that my parents almost got divorced over it. My father was willing to buy me a wig until it grew back out. My mother thought it was adorable. It did not go well. You do not do that to a young teenager. You just don't. To this day, I will not have short hair.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little, my hair was almost to my waist, then my mom had it cut to shoulder length.
It is now and has been for many years about mid back. Sometimes I want to cut it all off, but I prefer it long.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longest was probably close to my waist and shortest was chin length.

I don't really like it in either extreme. I hate how I look with short hair, but super long tends to get tangled easily and as I have fine hair it can look a bit ratty.

I think shoulder length more or less is probably my sweet spot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very short pixie cut when I was a kid, not my idea. The longest my hair has been was barely shoulder length. My hair gets about that long then stops growing. Now that it has thinned out a lot I keep it short but not like my parents kept it when I was a kid.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is very long, thick and curly so when I was at school I used to straighten it and have it in a bob a lot. In my adulthood I’ve let it grow a lot longer and I can sit on it (almost!) now.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shortest I've ever had it by choice was a bob, about chin length. Looked good but was far too high maintenance. Longest I've had it (the longest it will grow) was to the ends of my shoulder blades. Currently it's long enough to sit on my shoulders, which has been the default for a few years.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Early childhood through about the second grade I had a “pixie cut” which was very short all over. I never liked it but I guess it was easier to take care off. I have never had it that short since. The longest was half way down my back when my son was a baby.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to the age of 35,I had long hair almost to my waist.What was I thinking!It's now a very short pixie...definately wash and go,and I love it.No more coloring,no more curling irons and hair spray...freedom!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 12 my hair was long, all the way to my butt when braided. I never went without braids unless it was to wash my hair. At 14 or so I wanted to cut my hair shorter by only a few inches. My mom took me to her friends “salon” (it was in the basement of her house) and like MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles i ended up with a short permed pixie 🙀. I hated it.
I now prefer my hair with long layers and right above my shoulders.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a teen, below shoulder length, straight. Very short was how I wore it for years, sorta pixie. During covid I thought I would grow it out again, why waste money on haircuts when I wasn't going anywhere. Turned out it annoyed me no end so I kept cutting it myself, but still down not quite to my shoulders. It looked ragged and ratty. Last Friday, I decided I would get it trimmed up because I have to have my license renewed and I wanted a half decent picture. But it was a mistake. She cut it very short in back and longer in front and some weird sideburns which curl up. So now I'm cutting bits from the top and side to try to get it looking halfway decent for the picture (a week from Friday). I really hate my hair. Its fine, limp, no body whatsoever. And I'm not going to spend hours trying to get it to "do something." When I was younger and perms were a thing, I used to get them. When I see pictures of myself taken back then, it's like what was I thinking?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest was a long time ago sometime when I was a kid. It was probably around my mid back. The shortest was a couple of months ago when I buzzed everything off. It was too short for my preference. I like having longer hair on top of my head and then a buzzed cut on the bottom because I hate having hair against my neck.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cut is probably the shortest. It's basically buzzed on the back and sides and longer up top. The top may have been shorter before but this one is probably shortest all around. I don't like hair touching my neck either, but I'm not brave enough to buzz the whole thing!

When I was around 5, and then again when I was late teens/early 20s, it was almost down to my waist. I could never get it all the way to my waist for some reason, it always needed to be trimmed before that. But ugh that was a pain to take care of.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for this very long delay. Yesterday was one of those Mondays where every time I went to sit down at my laptop something else needed my attention. :runaround: And I had to get up really early so I wasn't running on a full tank of energy even with coffee. :rolleyes2:

What is the longest and shortest you have ever had your hair? How do you prefer it now?

When I was in the 4th grade my mother decided we should have matching haircuts. She had my hair not only cut "pixie" style but PERMED. I called it a boy cut. And she's never quite lived it down. :lol: She claims I wasn't letting her take care of my hair; but having a young kid with waist length hair myself now; I kind of doubt I was truly giving her trouble because she always says I was an easy kid. And really; brushing DD's waist length hair and pulling it back was always super simple. As was washing it.

After that I grew my hair out to be below my waist and I loved it long. I still prefer it several inches below my shoulders; but I can't let it go past mid back before it gets annoying and uncomfortable. My hair has gotten more wavy as I've gotten older and I wake up looking like something between the Cowardly Lion and an 80s rocker. It ain't pretty! :lol:
LOL, your hair sounds like mine. Used to be below my waist, but I have never had it shorter than shoulder length. It's about halfway down my back now and is due for a clean up.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As a teen, below shoulder length, straight. Very short was how I wore it for years, sorta pixie. During covid I thought I would grow it out again, why waste money on haircuts when I wasn't going anywhere. Turned out it annoyed me no end so I kept cutting it myself, but still down not quite to my shoulders. It looked ragged and ratty. Last Friday, I decided I would get it trimmed up because I have to have my license renewed and I wanted a half decent picture. But it was a mistake. She cut it very short in back and longer in front and some weird sideburns which curl up. So now I'm cutting bits from the top and side to try to get it looking halfway decent for the picture (a week from Friday). I really hate my hair. Its fine, limp, no body whatsoever. And I'm not going to spend hours trying to get it to "do something." When I was younger and perms were a thing, I used to get them. When I see pictures of myself taken back then, it's like what was I thinking?
When I have a bad hair day, I wear a kerchief. I used to wear them a lot, just because and I kind of miss it now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, your hair sounds like mine. Used to be below my waist, but I have never had it shorter than shoulder length. It's about halfway down my back now and is due for a clean up.
That’s almost where I am again. Maybe not quite half way; but I’m ready for a good trim. Last I knew my stylist was still out from having surgery and I’ve been busy. I’m starting to wonder if I wouldn’t look better covering my gray “fairy sparkles” but gosh the maintenance has always intimidated me. DH was getting on my nerves last Sunday while I was trying to get DS to try on sneakers while holding clothes he’d picked out and DD stood there doing her “completely exhausted teenager being made to hold her brother’s other things” routine. With earbuds in of course. He had my phone because I had no pockets in my dressy pants from church and he kept taking pictures of me. I do a good mom face. But id blown my hair out straight for church and wow the color is starting to look way different from that angle. 😩 :lol: