Very Itchy Cat

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't put hydrocortisone on him.  That could be really bad if he licks it off.  Sounds like he's having an allergic reaction to something, maybe the anesthesia.  Call the vet and let them know what's going on.  You could possibly give him an antihistamine to get him through until you can get him to the vet, or the vet might prescribe a steroid or something.  Call the vet's office.  There should be information on what to do on the weekends and after hours for an emergency.  You need to get him some help soon, poor guy. 

Did this just start after the surgery?

elijahgirl4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No! No! No! Don't use any of the products that you are using and what others are suggesting.  My cat had the same problem....to the point of hallucinating, as per the vet's interpretation.  If you have a pet store called PET VALUE in your area then please buy a product called "Skin & Itch".  I give my cat 4 drops with a bit of water in a schringe 2X daily.  It only takes 5-10 min to see him settle down and his coat is now thick and beautiful plus really shiny.  The good thing is, this product is an all natural product which is a definite plus.  I really hope you try this product!

alecat10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went through this almost exactly.. here is my experience...my cat was scratching her face to a bloody mess. After 2 years of self directed food trials,  I came to the conclusion she is allergic to seafood of every variety and type! Be sure to read the label all the way to the bottom and scan for fish products. Very hard to find food with no fish whatsoever.....But not impossible...my girl is eating Wellness canned minced chicken, and Blue Freedom dry kibble, chicken...it's all grain free!! It didn't take long to see the improvement..almost immediate!!! She improved about 80%... there is still more she is allergic to but haven't cracked the code entirely, but enough that she is comfortable...and her mom too! :-) I tried the Salmon oil ect... made matters worse...

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps he is allergic to the sutures used, since this seems to have started post neuter?

I have not had issues with males being allergic to sutures, but I have mad several females who are allergic to them, so it's definitely possible. Would explain why he is licking/scratching the back legs.

I'd definitely call the vet and discuss with them!

mygirls1305

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Serah has been very itchy lately and is starting to bite and scratch open wounds on himself. I would like to know how much your Ziggy weighs. You said you gave a dosage of 1/2 Benadryl caplets (12.5 mg), but since my Serah is a Big Boy at close to 20 pounds, I'm not sure of how much to give him. Thank you ahead of time for your help, Serah's mom

luvmyboys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cats are 16 and 18 pounds and my vet said to use 12.5 mg.of Benedryl. Seems to be the standard dosage.   Had to cut a 25mg in half since that's all I could find in store.  Hope that helps.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but what about a moisturizer? Something simple and (hopefully) harmless like coconut oil? I wonder if cats get eczema...

tcsrah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone mentioned using Krill Oil sprayed on his food to boost the omega 3's?

drcallycat73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - she is now on an Omega 3 food supplement called My Beau - it was given as she has arthritis but hoping it also helps with her skin condition.