Very itchy cat with paw wound

Crazycatlady2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 years old spayed cat has been pretty itchy for the past two weeks. She had scratched herself until she has blad patches. I put her in a cone to prevent further scratching since last week. This week I noticed that she has black gunk on one front and one back paws. I initially thought that it was just dirt from not being able to clean herself but I wiped it and noticed the skin underneath looks raw and the black stuff may actually be scabs or dried blood. There is no pus draining or bad smell. The vet won't be available until next weekend and I'm anxious about what this could be. She is walking fine and has been jumping up and down the bed as usual. She occasionally shakes her paws (maybe she's itchy?). Also, her other skin spots don't look good either. Some of them appears to have red patches on it and some have these small black dots.

She is an indoor only cat, regular with flea treatment and running a flea comb through gets nothing so I highly doubt it is flea. She has been eating OK and have the usual level of activity. I have one other cat who is totally healthy.

I'm very anxious about her health. Any information as to what this is or things I could do while waiting for vet visit would be appreciated!
IMG_20220423_173943__01.jpg
IMG_20220423_173803.jpg
IMG_20220423_175544.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Possible allergy to something. Have you changed litters? The paw issues makes me think of a allergy to something in a new litter. Or maybe you cleaned the floors recently and cleaner residue is irritating your cat? Seasonal allergies from pollen etc could also cause skin issues in cats. Food allergies is another possibility. Many things in food can cause skin reactions: the protein, some find of filler or starch, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatlady2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Possible allergy to something. Have you changed litters? The paw issues makes me think of a allergy to something in a new litter. Or maybe you cleaned the floors recently and cleaner residue is irritating your cat? Seasonal allergies from pollen etc could also cause skin issues in cats. Food allergies is another possibility. Many things in food can cause skin reactions: the protein, some find of filler or starch, etc.
Thanks for your reply! I have been using this litter for the past year and no new cleaning solution either. I have an air purifier running all the time and I don't usually open the window so I think pollen would be less likely. Food allergy is a good consideration though. She's on purina one tuna dry food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It probably is an allergy of some sort - and a cat can acquire an allergy to stuff they are normally used to - food and litter as well - at any given time. Once you can get her in to see a vet, you might ask about a skin scraping for testing (much less hurtful than it sounds).

In the meantime, try a home remedy of chamomile tea - buy tea bags from the grocery store aisle - as most are German (you don't want English or any additives/flavorings) - brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and apply to these areas with cotton balls or a soft cloth, multiple times a day. The tea is both a soothing and healing agent, and also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest too.