Very Consistent Diarrhea

galatashdev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone - let me start from the beginning so we're all on the same page.
We had been feeding our two cats Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet in the Turkey flavor since we adopted our newest last January. So well over a year. About 2-3 months ago, PetCo stopped selling our brand in the 7lb bags and would no longer do the price per pound matching so instead of getting 7lb for $22 we were paying $32 for two 4lb bags. I didn't want to do this forever, so we switched to Blue Buffalo Multi-cat in the Turkey flavor. Long story short we switched a little quicker than planned because we didn't have much of the old food left to transition, and one of our cats (Bean) got diarrhea. That same week, PetCo started selling our old brand in 7lbs again of course :angryfire: so we called the vet and they suggested just giving her the old food since her stomach is already used to it so we put it back out and she REFUSED to eat it. So after a day or so, I ended up having to mix a tiny amount of Blue Buffalo with the old food to encourage her to eat it. That went on for awhile and we slowly, slowly transitioned her back to the Blue. Everything was fine, poop was solid, problem solved. Must have swtiched too fast. Fast forward a couple weeks and I decided to try the Iams perfect portions wet food (I feed them about a tablespoon of wet food for treats and hydration) and she and ONLY she had diarrhea again .I assumed it was because she didn't like that food so I withheld all wet food for two days trying to get her stomach to settle. It stopped for about a day and then came back, so we called the vet and they suggested a bland diet which I'm familiar with, my first cat had to be on it when she had tummy problems so we bought a little bag of the Hills Prescription Diet I/D. And a couple of the cans for wet food. We fed it to them for about 3-4 days, Bean's poop was solid again for about a day or two. Now she's back to the runny poop. Nothing has changed, she was fine and this is a BLAND diet and I'm not sure what to do. I know a lot of you are going to suggest taking her to the vet but I was wondering if there was anything else I could try. Should I fast for 12 hours to reset her tummy? Has anyone else had this problem with diarrhea or the hills diet? I've read about trying canned pumpkin. I've read about adding benefiber to the food. Is there anything I should be worried about? She's about 1 year and 7 months. She's eating, shes drinking, she's playing .Nothing seems wrong, she doesn't look sick. I've tried the whole grabbing their scruff to see if they're dehydrated and she seems fine. Please help if you have any suggestions??! Thanks!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galatashdev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also adding she is 10lbs, not sure if that will help anyone but if you know of any tips and tricks but not sure if it would work for her weight that's what she is .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I'm not a vet, but I've also read about the fasting thing, I don't know about that, but maybe there's something in this thread that might help;
More Help Please!!! ( Don't Shoot Me!)
EDIT, not sure about my choice there, seems that's more for constipation, sorry about that. Let me keep looking for you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
The more I'm reading this first post of yours, the more I'm thinking you need to take her in and have the vet look at her - this on again off again might be an indication of something else entirely, and not anything related to food.

galatashdev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The more I'm reading this first post of yours, the more I'm thinking you need to take her in and have the vet look at her - this on again off again might be an indication of something else entirely, and not anything related to food.
She has never had any problems until we switched her food. That's when the diarrhea first arose but it went away for a couple weeks until I tried new wet food. Since then it's been off and on. I understand where you're coming from though, I hope it is food related and that's why I think I wanna try fasting them over night to give her stomach a rest. I bought some pumpkin, she didn't really like it, so I tried the tiki cat aloha friends with pumpkin and gave her about a spoonfull and she ate it. Maybe it will help? I'm not sure until she goes potty. Yes I agree, there were a few things that I could have gotten info from but entirely different situation. I want to get her back to her original Merrick food, but I don't want to switch anything up until she has solid poop. I really dread going to the vet because I know they're going to want to do xrays and blood work and that's going to be expensive but of course I'd do it for her. Ugghhh, if you find anything else please let me know!!! Ive always fed my cats grain free and the hills science diet is full of garbage ingredients but it's the only bland diet I can feed her that my other cat can have too. I think my game plan is to fast her for the night, then give her the bland diet and if shes still getting diarrhea by the time I come home from work I'll give the vet a call. I'm running out of home remedy options!!! :headshake:

galatashdev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also for anyone tuning in, has any of your pets every reacted negatively to Hills Science I/D or is this something thats not supposed to happen and should I just go to the vet. Should I try boiled turkey? Is that better for her stomach right now?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm finally on another computer and was able to do a little more looking for you (I have no experience with Hills although I have read less than positive reviews about it)
We fed it to them for about 3-4 days, Bean's poop was solid again for about a day or two. Now she's back to the runny poop.
I guess this is what faked me out regarding the on again off again...
tiki cat aloha friends with pumpkin
There's an Applaws chicken and pumpkin as well.
Also here are a few other things. If the problem continues for more than 2-3 days, then it's time for a vet...
  • Slippery Elm bark can help, mix about a teaspoon of powder or up to one capsule into water and mix in with the cat’s food, or the powder can be mixed into wet food.
  • Baby food with no onion or garlic
  • Probiotics can be given to cats with diarrhea to introduce helpful bacteria into the digestive tract. Probiotics made for humans are often more beneficial because they contain more than one strain of bacteria. Half a capsule mixed into food twice a day
  • plain, fat-free yogurt. One or two tablespoons a day or mix it into the food
  • Add half a teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into the cat’s food once or twice a day for 5-7 days

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Also there's a recipe that I've seen vets give for this problem;
1/2 cup rice, long-grain, boiled
1 cup boiled unseasoned chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces.
Mix with a little unseasoned broth

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried switching it around and doing more wet food, less dry food for a day or two? It's worth a try. My cats have only ever had diarrhea from dry food.