Very Concerned

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20170509_140515.jpg
IMG_20170509_140518.jpg
Good evening everyone... My cat recently went back in heat. She snuck out of the house a few days ago and I've noticed she has a scar on my mouth that's very swollen. It looks as if she was in a fight and has been a close eye is kept on her but I'm concerned as far as the swelling. It has gotten bigger n is forming a ball like structure I'm not sure if it's normal swelling or an abscess.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs to get to the vet and have that checked out. It looks very uncomfortable. You can also discuss having her spayed while you're at the vet.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet but there is a saying in both human and veterinary medicine: "Where there is pus, let it out". In other words take your kitten to a vet as soon as possible and let the vet decide whether to incise the lump or not.

And I agree that you should discuss spaying.
With best wishes,
Geoffrey

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably an abscess, but certainly something your vet should see. AND your cat needs spaying. It will cut way down on the chances of several health issues farther down the road, never mind unwanted kittens that can be difficult to get into forever homes.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat just had a litter at the end of March. It's very important that you have her spayed. Having litter after litter is not healthy for mom.

Can you go ahead and set the spay now? If she has gotten pregnant again, acting quickly will end the pregnancy and be no different than a normal spay.

She also needs to see a vet for these injuries immediately.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet is definitely in order for the injury. Infections can clear up on their own or they can grow and spread. Caution is the better path especially since an infection in that area can spread and cause problems eating.

As to the heat.... sorry but I agree a spay is in order ASAP. Her last litter is young and it is very bad for her health to have two litters back to back. I know there is the mindset that if she goes in heat she is ready but cats go into heat when the weather and food supply allows for survival of the kittens. So an indoor cat in a warmer climate will go into heat more frequently then is safe.

If you choose not to spay she needs to be fed kitten food for the entire pregnancy and as much as she wants. No grains and as little fillers as possible so that she gets as much nutrition as possible. Ideally all wet but at least half in wet so her hydration stays high. Additionally, if you choose not to spay she should not have another litter for at least a year so please take steps so she doesn't escape again after the next litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been a in house cat since she came into our home( already pregnant). I'm not allowing her to have litter after litter, she's kept inside u til I can afford to have her spayed. I know the risk of her having multiple litters and is trying my best to make sure that does not happen until I'm able to have the procedure done.

As for the concern for a cheek, I woke up to it draining. It has since been cleaned. The vet is not open so a day off work is in order to have her checked out.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, but she got out just now and is likely pregnant again. When can you get her spayed?

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I have enough money to afford the procedure. Her getting out was by my sister's not paying attention.

Honestly her getting spayed is not my main concern at this moment. I'm more concerned about her face. I'm not completely dumb to cats and their health as stated before im very aware of the dangers of her having litters back to back. I only wanted to know if someone has seen anything like this on their cat before or any home treatment option until the vet opens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, but if you don't get her spayed now she is going to have another litter. It doesn't matter whose fault it is.

She needs to see a vet for all of the above. I am happy to help you to find a low cost clinic if you'd like.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the vet check the lower teeth while you're there. I have seen an infected tooth abscess into the chin area and it appeared to the owner as a sore, but it was a tooth.

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have the vet check the lower teeth while you're there. I have seen an infected tooth abscess into the chin area and it appeared to the owner as a sore, but it was a tooth.
Thank you, will definitely do so.

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right, but if you don't get her spayed now she is going to have another litter. It doesn't matter whose fault it is.

She needs to see a vet for all of the above. I am happy to help you to find a low cost clinic if you'd like.
Yes I would appreciate that. This is my first cat, I'm trying my best with her and the kittens. I'm not neglecting her needs or health, just not in the financial situation where I can properly do everything.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I would appreciate that. This is my first cat, I'm trying my best with her and the kittens. I'm not neglecting her needs or health, just not in the financial situation where I can properly do everything.
Which city is closest to you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I have enough money to afford the procedure. Her getting out was by my sister's not paying attention.

Honestly her getting spayed is not my main concern at this moment. I'm more concerned about her face. I'm not completely dumb to cats and their health as stated before im very aware of the dangers of her having litters back to back. I only wanted to know if someone has seen anything like this on their cat before or any home treatment option until the vet opens.
I am sorry if it felt like an attack on you. A cat who gets out in heat can be assumed to be pregnant. It's something like a 70-80% of success with mating. Add on injuries to the face which are not uncommon in mating and it adds up.

If the location is draining on its own you can keep an eye on it and the surrounding area. Because infections can spread and cats hide pain though it is advisable to still see a vet for antibiotics to be safe. The problem can be that if a secondary infection sets in you are looking at a sugerical drain and a few hundred dollars instead of under a hundred for exam and antibiotics. So it is a gamble. Since money is an issue if you keep it clean and it doesn't swell up again she should be okay.

oblgatdcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dearborn,MI
I am sorry if it felt like an attack on you. A cat who gets out in heat can be assumed to be pregnant. It's something like a 70-80% of success with mating. Add on injuries to the face which are not uncommon in mating and it adds up.

If the location is draining on its own you can keep an eye on it and the surrounding area. Because infections can spread and cats hide pain though it is advisable to still see a vet for antibiotics to be safe. The problem can be that if a secondary infection sets in you are looking at a sugerical drain and a few hundred dollars instead of under a hundred for exam and antibiotics. So it is a gamble. Since money is an issue if you keep it clean and it doesn't swell up again she should be okay.
I apologise if it may have seemed as if an attitude was present. I'd admit I did take the comments to heart, however I do understand that it's out of concern and I greatly appreciate it. I've since gently cleaned it with some water for now. She will be going to the vet tomorrow to have everything checked out and to make sure she's fine n hopefully not pregnant.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet will not be able to tell if she is pregnant at this point. I would speak with them about any sort of payment options for a spay, though. I will also be back with low cost options.