Very Aggressive Stud - Ideas Anyone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aurora151989

Gaye, I'm sorry about Tonka, I do hope he gets better when he is neutered... Anreed(a member on this board) has 2 males i think could be used as studs but i may be wrong. http://www.geocities.com/obsessioncattery/
Thanks Aurora, but unfortunately, Anreed's cats would not be compatible with my breeding program or goals. She has lovely kitties and I adore looking at her website, but they won't work out for me.

~gf~

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Sam. I hope it doesn't come to that either. However, it has always been my plan for Tonka to be a "working cat" for only a short time, then retire him young so he can live out his life here with me as my beloved companion. I have known since he was a kitten this would be best for him. He bondly quite strongly with me and I am certain he will be happier as a pet than as a stud. This may just have to happen a bit sooner than I anticipated.

There is a cat I have my eye on and will be watching closely for progress reports from his breeder. It may be that I can bring him into the plans for my future breedings. If so, then there may be a work-around so that Tonka can retire and be the big, blue mush bucket he really is without all those strong male hormones raging through his system. I think he will be quite sweet once he isn't so driven. If spraying is still an issue, I'll deal with it at that time, but for now, I am choosing to be positive about his aggression issues more so than anything else.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gaye, I can hear all your love for Tonka just bursting out in this thread. I hope your arm heals well and soon. It is wonderful that you understand Tonka would never do something like this normally and are dealing with it accordingly.

Addressing the remarks of the person that asked about breeders when there are so many animals needing homes, all I can say about that is that I LOVE Siamese and although I love ALL animals, it has been a piece of heaven to have Bijou and Mika in our lives. Bijou was the cat I dreamed of having for many years and if it weren't for breeders, I wouldn't have this handsome, loving boy.

I strongly agree that breeders aren't the problem, irresponsible, ignorant owners of un-neutered animals are the problem.

Hugs and best wishes that things work out for you and the cattery and for dear Tonka.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I strongly agree that breeders aren't the problem, irresponsible, ignorant owners of un-neutered animals are the problem.

Hugs and best wishes that things work out for you and the cattery and for dear Tonka.
Yep.. I see folks every day going oh I will breed the dog/cat cause it is a purebred or they let them out without supervision and being fixed..

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Linda. Unfortunately, my arm took a turn for the worse last night and I went in to see the doctor early this morning. They *shudder* lanced the wound and did something they called "deep draining" (I call it severe, bonewracking pain *shudder*) gave me a serum tetnus shot and a 12-day course of antibiotics. At least the nurse was "cat friendly" and understood why I protested loudly when the doctor suggested that I "get rid of that monster before he really hurts someone".

Tonka seems fine although to be certain, he is seeing his vet tomorrow.

playbunnyjinx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woe there!!!!!!!!!
before you jump in at the deep end and get his bits removed has anyone thought that just maybe he was stessed and a little bit gagging for some female attention!!! you say your female had been away, is this normal???? has it upset his routine in any way???? did he miss her???? sounds wierd i know but cats are like us in a way they don't like things upsetting their lifestyle.
if you can honestly answer these questions and they seem to be the best answers then of course have him nuetered but you may find you have an extremely unhappy cat at the end of it all.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by playbunnyjinx

Woe there!!!!!!!!!
before you jump in at the deep end and get his bits removed has anyone thought that just maybe he was stessed and a little bit gagging for some female attention!!! you say your female had been away, is this normal???? has it upset his routine in any way???? did he miss her???? sounds wierd i know but cats are like us in a way they don't like things upsetting their lifestyle.
if you can honestly answer these questions and they seem to be the best answers then of course have him nuetered but you may find you have an extremely unhappy cat at the end of it all.
Thanks for your input, but honestly, I do not think this cat is happy as a stud. He will sire one or two more litters before I neuter him. I do have plans in the works to acquire a different stud and hopefully, Tonka can be allowed to be my beloved pet companion then.

Again, thanks.

~gf~

playbunnyjinx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so happy to here that you have thought it through properly and i apologise if i sounded abrupt. I hope your vcats and you can get back to being happy and be a family again.

xxxxxx

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sounds like a terrible attack, and the wound will definitely take time to heal, but I would definitely say it's a matter of just a 'nature' reaction, not in any way at attack on you. Maybe getting another male as a companion may cheer him up? Who knows... i can imagine having whole males is pretty tough on everyone involved.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RarePuss

sounds like a terrible attack, and the wound will definitely take time to heal, but I would definitely say it's a matter of just a 'nature' reaction, not in any way at attack on you. Maybe getting another male as a companion may cheer him up? Who knows... i can imagine having whole males is pretty tough on everyone involved.
The two un-neutered males together-not a good idea. THey will fight.

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iam in support of responsible breeding, and iam sorry that you have to make such a devastating choice, you are doing what is right and you have my support and i hope that tonka returns to the loving boy he once was

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do hope you manage to find a solution to your problem, i have read a few articles on how the Siamese breed has 'changed' and am all for keeping the 'old' variety. I am sorry your arm ended up so bad, lets hope there is a medical reason for it, and he can stay as he is for a short while. I do think that responsible breeders do a good job, just wish there was more of the general public who were as responsible.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gayef, could you just keep one of Tonka's boy kittens and use him as a replacement for Tonka? I mean he would be relateed to that one queen but not the rest, right?

My male stud is very agressive too but he has an indoor and outdoor enclosure. I plan on spaying the female that he gets along with well and respects (when she tells him to back off he does) and putting her in with him. That way he'll have company at all times. I don't think it's a bad life for my stud at all. He has more room and will have more company then a lot of neutered house cats I know. Plus he gets to do the wild thing every now and then. Sounds like a good life to me!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to all for your messages of support and encouragement. My arm is completely healed now and Tonka has not been at all aggressive with me since. In fact, he and Lexus were bred on June 27 and we are expecting (crossing fingies) a healthy litter sometime around the end of August.

tailsoluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
eatrawfish said:
We rarely get purebred kittens/cats at our shelters. It DOES happen, but the majority of the kittens we get are from feral cats, or unspueterd cats that get to roam around. Good breeders are not the problem.

I don't mean to start anything, but there is no such thing as "purebred" - there is registered or not registered. Without registration there is absolutely NO way of proving that a cat is of a given breed. If a person turns in a cat with its registration papers, THEN and only then can a cat be considered of a certain breed.

Reputable breeders put breeding restrictions on their kittens which are sold out as pets - if kittens weigh enough to neuter before they are sold, many breeders are doing this with their pet kittens also before selling them. The problem arises when BYBs get it into their minds that they are going to make money breeding knowing less than nothing about husbandry, health, temperament, etc. These same ignorant people turn around and sell out to pet buyers who either also hope to recoup their purchase price by breeding their cat or who know nothing about the breed of cat they are buying and find out that they don't want to deal with long coats on breeds which need brushing or excess activity in shorthair breeds such as Siamese or who feel that the cat they bought doesn't "match the color of their furniture".

Additionally, there are many breed rescue groups who will take cats which appear to be of a given breed from shelters and make excellent efforts to place the poor cats who have lost their forever homes.

Sorry, I see I've gone off into one of my tangents.

I also wish to point out that I greatly respect gaye because she has done years and years of research of her given breed, breeding practices, etc. prior to having her first ever litter; and I also feel the need to preserve the pedigreed Old Style cats (those who are registered with an acceptable registry such as CFA, ACFA, TICA, ACA, CFF). Ooops, here I go again.

Barb Amalfi