Venting - I HATE the side effects of Depo-Medrol!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LDG;2593681 said:
ThreeCatOwner: just FYI, depo medrol is a long acting steroid, as opposed to something like prednisone, which is short acting./QUOTE]

Thank you, LDG. I thought I'd heard diabetes mentioned in ref. to these shots somewhere during my thousands of trips to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

Great news!

Is he still taking the ClinDrops?
Thanks for asking - since the vet had told me to give it for 7-10 days, I decided to stop it on Sunday, which was the 7th day. I wanted to spare his system of too many meds. It also gave him diarrhea, which I didn't like it at all.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you ever have to use this medication again, two good options you might want to remember. The injectable form, which is so much easier on them there is just no comparison, and Clindamycin pulse therapy.

Are you giving him a probiotic? (If not, this would be the perfect time to put him on one.)

dharmas dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To all the threads about using CoQ10 for this, I cannot stress enough how this has helped my girl. Dharma has been living with FeLV for over 8 years and stomatitus has taken its toll. I had all her teeth removed when she was not even three yet. Just recently she has started heading down hill again, unfortunately. With great advice from my home vet and many, many hours of internet research, I believe we are on a path of management. CoQ10 in combination with other supplements have worked incredibly. Even the switch to a raw meat diet has helped. I have just up'ed her dose of CoQ10 to 120mg a day - I have read that 200mg twice a day can be given. If anyone would like to chat more or share ideas, thoughts, breakthroughs (that you cannot get from the vet at the office down the street) hit me up.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dharmas Dad

To all the threads about using CoQ10 for this, I cannot stress enough how this has helped my girl. Dharma has been living with FeLV for over 8 years and stomatitus has taken its toll. I had all her teeth removed when she was not even three yet. Just recently she has started heading down hill again, unfortunately. With great advice from my home vet and many, many hours of internet research, I believe we are on a path of management. CoQ10 in combination with other supplements have worked incredibly. Even the switch to a raw meat diet has helped. I have just up'ed her dose of CoQ10 to 120mg a day - I have read that 200mg twice a day can be given. If anyone would like to chat more or share ideas, thoughts, breakthroughs (that you cannot get from the vet at the office down the street) hit me up.
1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

Also please take note of the LAST post DATE

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to add that following advice from non-veterinary persons on the internet is not recommended. I personally am wary of veterinarians that offer advice online. Nobody, IMO, can diagnose your animal without seeing them and examining them.

Even things like dewormers and flea treatments should not be taken lightly and should be obtained from a vet. These products sold online and over-the-counter have been the cause of death in some animals so please use common sense when caring for your pet.

cdevine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm just reading your post and after the depro injection, did your cat recover? Is the playfulness and happy cat back again? We have a cat who had that injection 11 days ago, and I feel like this has been unbelievably difficult to watch my playful, happy go lucky, chirping, fetching playful cat almost disappear over night. Lethargic, uninterested in playing at all....I'm heartbroken and am just praying we will see her come back....any time frame? I'm so sad and feel awful!! Our sweet girl....any information would be greatly appreciated! Warmest regards...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty had a bad reaction.  It doesn't happen too often but it does happen.  Because it stays in the system all that can be done is wait it out.  The medicine stays in the system for about 3 weeks but it's diminishing during that time so hopefully your kitty will start to improve before the 3 weeks.  It will probably be a gradual improvement as the medication leaves your kitty's system.