Venting about inconsiderate ppl SMOKING!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would print off about 100 of those signs and just smother it all over the hallway. Get up at like 2 or 3 am and do that.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little opinionated on the subject of smoking because my Dad had to have a laryngectimy (sp? - voice box removed) when I was 11. I have an affinity for languages and spent the next 3 years interpreting for him and watching him die. I have never smoked anything. There was this great commercial on TV where a woman had the same operation as Dad and it showed the hole in her throat. I cried every time I saw that commercial and told the kids that is why you don't smoke. Jen - almost 21 - has never smoked and will not and I know this for a fact. Ben, almost 13, says he won't smoke either. My Dad never saw me graduate from the Ivy League on a corporate scholarship from where he worked, get married and he never held his grandchildren in his arms.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pot isn't illegal in Canada. You're allowed 2-3 rolled joints for personal consumption on yourself at all time. It was decriminalized, but not legalized.

Police will never intervene if you smoke some at home.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's my suggestion and i"m not even sure how old this thread is. Most smokers feel a lot of frustration at not being allowed to smoke anywhere. Smoking, I'm sure, is just as frustrating for non-smokers for different reasons, or rathe,r for the opposite reasons.

Now, I don't think installing smoke alarms or sprinklers are going to help at all. I do not think the smoke will set them off, and if they do, it's going to set them off at a time of night when *you* are normally sleeping.

Papering the walls or putting up signs may help, but it's more likely to just make someone roll their eyes (whether or not that's right or wrong or unfair is another matter..)

What I would do: First of, find out what the public smoking laws near you are. If there is one and they're violating them.. write a letter to your complex management, copy it to the fire department, and to the city government office which is in charge of fire hazard violations.

Next, if you have a fan and one of those cheap folding chairs, or plastic ones, I'd put it and the fan next to the window and put a note to open the window and turn the fan on when they're smoking. Now, it doesn't stop them, but at least they'd be sucking the smoke out the window when they do it instead of filling up the hall.

I'd bill any cost incurred by you to the apartment complex given that you have contacted them numerous times (it's really helpful if you have a lease that states they must take care of any problems within 24 hours. You may have to check laws on landlord responsibilities on this).

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are so inconsiderate. If there are signs posted, then they should know not to be smoking there. I'm not allergic to the smoke, but I think it smells nasty. I think getting the managment to install smoke detectors would help. If one went off every time someone went to smoke out there, that would draw attention to them and hopefully make them stop. Plus it makes the building safer so it's a win/win situation.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now you know it can get into other apartments if you smoke in the hallways

No, actually, I didnt' know that because I've never lived in an apartment building, or have had any friends that lived in one I'm used to living in a house. Which is why I thanked you for posting that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry this is happening to you! I don't envy your situation, as I hate the smell and what it does to my throat too. Some people are allergic to smoke.
I would be worried about my animals, if I could smell it that strong, I would assume it would bother them too in some way. Please keep us updated on the situation.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is ridiculous! I hope something gets done soon.

A year or so ago rules were brought in here, that people could no longer smoke in pubs and any covered areas at bus shelters/train stations. needless to say anyone who does smoke gives me a threatening look if i ask them nicely, then remind them they can get fined. One guy said 'i can do whatever i like, what you going to do about it?' now he was kind of scary...but if it wasn't in public, i would have ripped his eyeballs out!!

Sure you have a right to ruin your lungs, but we have a right to keep ours healthy. have some respect!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't think it's a question of whether or not she is going to get cancer from secondhand smoke, or whether she likes it or dislikes it. I think it's the fact that she's allergic to it. The most recent studies are showing that basically it's been a lot of overkill on what they were previously stating about secondhand smoke and innocent bystanders.. however, having said that, I'm a smoker, and I do not smoke inside. I don't throw my butts on the ground, and even in eight of snow I'm outside on my deck smoking instead of in the house.

I don't feel that smoking is more inconsiderate to anyone else in the world than is wearing perfume or hand lotion that bothers someone, eating food in your office area when the smell makes someone else sick, polluting the air with gas fumes from your car, or any other number of things that are bad for you or cause an adverse reaction.

The problem here is the apartment complex *isn't* doing anything about it. She's having an issue with the allergic reaction to it, and by all rights it doesn't look as if the apartment complex is *going* to reinforce the rules unless something happens like they start getting fined.. which may or may not be possible.

Sometimes the only way to win is to compromise or fight harder. It's much easier to put up with something if you can tolerate it and it's only a minor irritation as opposed to the situation that we have now, which is smoke seeping under the doorways, and causing problems. Personally, I'd opt for the fan and the chair.. but they may not use it. It really depends on the people. If that doesn't work, I'd do my best to get the complex fined.