Vent: I Don't Like Sharing My Husband

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

No matter how nice she is, no matter how innocent and sincere her feelings for your family may be, no matter how much you might value her friendship -- you absolutely cannot be expected to include her in your private family time.

There's nothing in the world to feel guilty about. And it should not offend her to be told that this is your special private vacation, and you really want to be alone together as a family.

You want me to call her up and splain it to her?

I would be upset too. I am very protective of family time.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I would be upset too. I am very protective of family time.
Me too. His business aquaintences can spend time with him before vacation starts. Having a nice dinner with them ONE evening at the beginning of your vacation should be sufficient, IMO.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to point out... she's not coming until after the conference is over so there's no comparison to be made about trying to take him away from business activities. They have a young child, and he is gone like a third of the year.

I think it is absolutely unfair to suggest that wanting to spend time alone is unreasonable.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

No matter how nice she is, no matter how innocent and sincere her feelings for your family may be, no matter how much you might value her friendship -- you absolutely cannot be expected to include her in your private family time.

There's nothing in the world to feel guilty about. And it should not offend her to be told that this is your special private vacation, and you really want to be alone together as a family.

You want me to call her up and splain it to her?
I agree with you 100%!!!

"You want me to call her up and splain it to her?"

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I agree with you 100%!!!

"You want me to call her up and splain it to her?"
Gotta agree with Carol. She gave good advice, as always. Family time is for family. It's pretty rude, desparate, or whatever you want to call it, to invite yourself. I also think it's up hubby to put a stop to her. It's his co-worker and his job to put her GENTLY into her place, explain the obvious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband said everything is taken care of and not to worry. He has been stalling and as he said, "showing very little enthusiasm." If she doesn't get the hint, he said he will explain that we need family time and this trip is it. We see her several times a year, anyway, and she and his other colleagues have been to parties, dinners, and after-conference get togethers at our house, so we will likely see them again.

Thank you again for your thoughts and support!