Vent - cleaner let my cat out!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Grr, I just had to say this to people who'd understand.  I can't believe how gormless the cleaner was who stood with the front door wide open while I was paying her partner in the passageway.  Of course, as soon as I saw the door, I asked if any cats had gone out - it took a little while for her to get it, and then 'yes' and big hand gesture as to 'general' direction.  

Now the previous visit, I told them to watch the doors and the cats weren't allowed out.  Just 3 minutes prior to her lettting my cat out, she saw us coming back from an outside walk with harnesses.  What looney does not get it then that I don't let my cats out unattended???

After 1hr walking around and calling my boy, I called the cleaning agency to report what happened, and request they ask the cleaners EXACTLY where the cat had gone.  The agency called me back to report that the cat hadn't got out, and was in the house, and a few other lies.  I lost it then and told them to call the cleaners again, and get definitive answers as they were lying - and I won't have liars in my home, nor should I think the company would want liars in their employ.

Well, that changed the story!  Unfortunately, no better help on the direction my cat went.  Anyway, after 6 hours, I found my cat.  He'd come home, but had to rip through the chicken wire that we have enclosing the backyard (to keep them in!).  He is quiet, walking gingerly, yowling every time I pick him up - which I did twice to check him over.  He has two bloody paws.  And he is dead tired and all curled up alseep (no food even).  I have told the cleaning company that if I need to take him to the vet, they will be hearing from me.

ARGHHHHHH!!!!! So angry.  So relieved!  And so pitifully sorry for little Ava (my female cat) who has been crying for her absent friend and can't work out what is wrong with him (he's dead asleep!)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet as something internally could be wrong if he is yowling when you pick him up.  I would send them the bill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind - I will  wait until his 'daddy' gets home as he has the biggest bond and instincts for Kato.  Kato does tend to be yowly with me if he has an opnion to express, so my first thoughts are he is annoyed with me because he just wants to get comfortable and sleep.  But I will check with what dad thinks in an hour, when he gets home.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad your cat came back. You may want to keep the matter with the cleaners open. Kato now knows he can get through the fence. You may have to replace the fence with something stronger and you don't want it to be at your expense.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kato is ok.  I took him to the Vet this morning.  He had a cut on his head that 'dad' found, and some cuts on pads, plus a nail ripped to the quick and bloody.  We think they were all sustained trying to get back home, not from a cat fight.  I've cleaned them all with the vet's antiseptic and he has one more dose of pain meds for tonight.  He has slept pretty much all night with me, and all day, so defintiely feeling sore and sorry for himself.  Little Ava is less spooked now so that's good - saw them grooming and cuddling each other this afternoon, so hopefully they will both sleep with me tonight.  He's eating and toileting well.

I'm hoping it will be as forecast and really really rainy for the nxt two days, as that will stop him wanting to go out for his daily walk (Ava isn't fussed, and as I've just been to emergency this week with viral pnuemonia, and came down with a pain episode from the stress of yesterday, I could do with rest!)

No more courtyard either until we fix the fencing/chicken wire netting.  But that's easy and cheap.

I will be forwarding the vet report with the suggestion the cleaning company pay.  I can deal with an accidental escape, as that's something that education will fix, but I absolutely can't deal with liars - so I'm also looking for new cleaners.  I won't be telling them until it's all sorted out though.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and well wishes!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read that Kato is going to be okay, @tammyp. Trust is ultra important when it comes to letting strangers into our homes and its really challenging when people betray your trust. Not the same experience but, my husband and I experienced a break-in a few years back, and this experience changes you, no matter how together you try to be about it afterwards. We installed a security system shortly thereafter.

I hope you have better future experiences, and that the next cleaners are also cat lovers/owners who are aware of the importance and reasons for your choices, and will take better care to respect and adhere to them.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the future, you might want to designate a room for your cats to go into and the door shut when the cleaning service comes. This room would be off-limits to the cleaning service, so the cats would be safe and would have no chance of getting out.

Last edited by a moderator:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that your baby is okay!  That's such a shame that they would be so careless.

I agree with FhiCat about not making assumptions. I started my own cleaning business last year, & built it up to be fully  booked in just one year!  Most of my clients have some kind of medical issue / challenge as to why they can't do the cleaning themselves, from back issues, to some one with hyper allergy sensitivities, & is allergic to a lot of things, so when she cleans, even w/ natural products, she had severe break outs on her skin, almost like eczema.  

I love animals, so I made sure to put "Pet friendly" on my cards. I look forward to seeing the pets when I visit, & make sure they are o.k.

One of my clients has a big English Cream Golden Retriever, & I can let him out for a little while when I'm there. Even though the yard is fenced in, I only let him out when I am in the kitchen, so I can keep

an eye in him. Then when I'm ready to move upstairs, I call him in. (Such a sweet big boy!)

I think when you replace your cleaning people, ask around for referrals. That's the best way. That's how I built up my business in a year.  (no company, just me by myself cleaning).

One client told a neighbor / referred me. Another is a teacher, & she referred me to one of the other teachers, etc... 

Good luck with it all.  

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you in Arizona? I wish I could find a Pet friendly place here.

We hired cleaners (I was born with TAR SYNDROME and the OA and other issues tied into the TARS makes it near impossible for me to move) and they stold my Christmas gift cards. A large amount from family.
I called the cleaning company as soon as we knew they were gone insisting the two who cleaned be fired. Too late... they "up and quit to be home with their families in Mexico".
Made me sad... I used the company for years. Always had excellent help. This one time, they sent one gal we used and one we had not.

Oh... they did other weird stuff... put my sons chair outside. That disappeared. Some stuff we didnt notice until days later.

I think companies should put Pet Friendly.
Something I need to think of with the new cats. We will have to put them in one of the kids rooms or use Louie's cage and put him in a room.

I'm glad to hear that your baby is okay!  That's such a shame that they would be so careless.

I love animals, so I made sure to put "Pet friendly" on my cards.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is really hard to find good pet-friendly cleaners!  And the cost is getting quite crazy - I had one company quote me for $50/hr, minimum 3 hrs (which is more than what I make as a person with 3 degrees!!).  And the 'pet friendly' thing needs close vetting - I interviewed one company billed as eco-friendly and pet friendly, but ALL their cleaning products had essential oils in them, which I had to point out was fatally toxic to cats.  (I prefer they clean with my stuff anyway, because I know it's safe.)

Anyway, I think I have someone! Expensive, but she listens, does a good job, and is going to be super careful with the cats.  She runs her own single person cleaning company, which I really like.  Normally I am home when the cleaners come (we have cleaners because of medical issues), and take the cats out for a walk for some of the time, but I think I may even feel comfortable with her to leave and go to work!  Fingers crossed.

Found even MORE cuts on Kato today.  No wonder he didn't want me to touch him/pick him up when he came home.  But he is far far better - even playing chasey with Ava today :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@rachelinaz,  LOL, No, I'm in Wilmington,NC.   That's horrible that they stole from you!!  If I find even a dime on the floor, I set it on the dresser, or where ever I found it near. I think doing even that small gesture, lets them know they can trust me.  I was referred to all of my clients anyway, by people they know & trust, so they know they can trust me.  I have seen money left out, checks from other people for rental properties, etc..

because they know they can trust me.  I don't know how people who steel like that can live w/ themselves, much less get away w/ it.  I hate to say it, but I would never trust a company either. You don't know who your getting.  (Besides the fact I've had more than a couple of clients tell me they have had "chain companies" clean before & they did a terrible job).  

It's best to ask around, friends, family, if they know anyone who does cleaning that is trust worthy & loves animals.  Like I said, I built up my business on referrals only in one year!

When I started out, I ordered a couple of boxes of cards, & have only gone through about half a box. I booked up, so didn't need to get any more clients! 

@tammyp,   I'm glad you found someone. Does all of it herself? Sounds like me.  I hope it works out for you.

Wow, $50.00/hr? that is a bit much. I started out charging by the hr. because I wasn't sure about the jobs when I first started them, & didn't want to quote a price, & then end up doing more work than I thought I'd do.

Even then, when just starting out, I asked around, & did some research on care.com in that area for cleaning, to get an idea of what the average fair price was.  (I started w/ $25/hr. & $35/hr for deep cleaning/or if had a lot of pets, & was obvious they did, ie.. lots of hair everywhere!).

Everyone thought that was a fair price. Now, I have learned to asses a job better, & charge by the job, or at least give a quote of a range price. example, "for this size house/job, between $100.00-150.00, depending on how much I end up doing, how long it took, etc...  

So glad to hear Kato is back to playing again! 

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so all for word-of-mouth recommendations!  

But in this city, it seems no-one has a good word to say about any cleaners :(  Has been quite different in other cities I've lived in.  Anyway, I think I might be onto a good cleaner now - similar story to yours Angel's Mommy!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so all for word-of-mouth recommendations!  

But in this city, it seems no-one has a good word to say about any cleaners :(  Has been quite different in other cities I've lived in.  Anyway, I think I might be onto a good cleaner now - similar story to yours Angel's Mommy!
That's great. I hope she works out for you. Sounds like there is a good market there then for anyone looking to start one up!