Vent about Daycare

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
here in london a nursey place (day care) will cost u on average £130-00 or more.so for a single mom she has to earn approx £120-00 for rent and council tax,along side the £130-00 child care,thats with all the other bills like gas/eletric/water/phone,then food.just virtully impossible unless your in a high powered job.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isnt a 4 year old supposed to be in kindergarden already??
I started kindergarden when i was 4

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NO idea how my husband and I are going to figure out the daycare thing when we have kids. I don't even wanna think about how much it's going to cost. Plus, we both love our jobs so much, I don't know which one of us would be able to give it up--not to mention how the heck we'd be able to afford it.
My neighbors have all banded together and "share" a nanny for the 4 little kids that live on my street--she's a nice, older lady who probably doesn't charge that much. They drop the kids off at her house in the AM and pick them up when they get home and it seems to work for them--I'm hoping she'll still be around and willing to do nanny duties when I'm ready to have kids!!
Maybe you should ask around, see if any of your neighbors would want to "share" a nanny.
I hope you can find a solution soon--I know how hard it is.
A woman I used to work with decided to quit working to stay home with her kids--her salary and her child care expenses were the same amount!!! Fortunately, her husband made a pretty good living so they didn't have to really cut back too much...but I know that's a rarity nowadays!

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Not here. You have to be five in most states, I think. And even then, if you are not "socially" ready, they suggest waiting.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

Not here. You have to be five in most states, I think. And even then, if you are not "socially" ready, they suggest waiting.
Thats how it is too, its not so much the age-which is 5 when most kids go, but really when they are "socially" ready!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Not in the US, fwan. Five is the age, and in Florida a child must be 5 before September 1st.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Deb, he can't start headstart until next August because his Birthday falls after the deadline.
I know we had 3-year olds at the last school I worked at. According to the Pinellas Head Start web site, there are services available for all ages from birth.

http://www.pinellascountyheadstart.org/

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a terrible situation for all involved. I feel for the parents who have to work to make ends meet, but it's also bad for the people working in the daycare. I don't think anybody's getting rich here.

My sister works in a daycare, and she's a WONDERFUL teacher. She truly loves the kids and working with them, and the kids and parents all ADORE her. The problem is that she can't make a living wage doing it. She had a lot of health problems last year and ended up having to file for bankrupcy because she couldn't afford to pay her medical bills. (She has lousy insurance, too.) She lives with my parents now, but God only knows what will happen when my parents get too old to support themselves. It will truly be a loss if she ends up having to change careers. She would miss working with kids desperately, and she takes on a lot of "problem" children in her class that other centers have given up on. (She had dyslexia and hyperactivity growing up, and I believe this makes her much more able to deal with kids who have challenges. She knows what they're going through.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do truly feel awful about the childcare workers. They really do put up with alot for little pay. My oldest son had a wonderful teacher for 3 yrs when he was in daycare. She put up with soooo much I was shocked. I wouldn't have put up with it! There was this one child that was a complete MONSTER! I remember when my son came home he had a HUGE bite on his back! It was so bad it broke the skin. Luckily, he had a Dr. appt that day, and when the Dr looked at it he was in awe. It was so bad that he gave my son an antibiotic shot for it. This kid would bite, kick, scream at and punch the teacher. He always ALWAYS had head lice to the severity that they shaved his head instead of treating it and ended up give 5 other children in the class lice, including my son. He even hit some little girl in the face so hard with a toy that she ended up with 9 stitches!
Finally all the parents of the children (including me) threatened if something was done, we were pulling our kids out and they made the parents withdrawl the boy. The teacher was heartbroken because she wanted to help the boy with his problems but was overwhelmed with him at the same time. She cried when he left. But the class was so much more peaceful when he was gone. I know it wasn't the kids fault at all though...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, i thought you had to be 5 to start prep or first grade in australia and england.. Interesting though..
my mother had to send me to daycare from when i was two on wards, because i had to learn how to talk properly as my parents are deaf, the first daycare i refused going to when i was 3 because the lady hit me, and my mother got really angry, pulled me out and brought me to another nursery, then i stayed there untill i went to kindergarden. When i was 5 i started school.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know there are daycares that pay their workers more because I have heard of parents placing their kids in daycare that costs $1000 a month. Either that or the owners must be making quite a bit of money. These are usually located in the City or downtown for the office workers. Then there are those corporate daycare run by the company for their employees.

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Daycare is a major vent for me too. I have to go to day classes next semester and my two regular baby sitters (one is cheap one is free) can only sit at night. Not only is it expensive, but I will be sitting in the DOCTOR"S office, and people will tell me they run a daycare. Sometime's I'm like oh that's cool, but some of them have their kids in there with dried mucus on their noses and dirty clothes and faces.... so then I think, my word, people let you watch their kids when you cant take care of your own?? Aren't there some rules about daycares?? who in the world inspects these things?? I understand kids get dirty and sometimes it takes a bit to get them in a bath, but before they go to the Doctor? no wonder they're sick.... My turn to vent is over

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bumpy

I know there are daycares that pay their workers more because I have heard of parents placing their kids in daycare that costs $1000 a month. Either that or the owners must be making quite a bit of money. These are usually located in the City or downtown for the office workers. Then there are those corporate daycare run by the company for their employees.
Unfortunately, it is usually the owners that make all the money. I worked at a private day care for 2 years and barely made anything. For the most part, I worked in the infant room which charged approx. $1,200/mo.. which was about how much I made. And the ratio was 4 kids to 1 teacher. So the owner would make $3,600 off of me alone each month. And there were usually about 16 kids in that room.

I only had major holidays off and had no health insurance. I remember one time when it was snowing pretty bad they were talking about possibly closing the school. The owner said, "Oh no. It's fine. When it gets to about 6 inches or so, then I start to worry." He wasn't very concerned about his employees.. just making money.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always paid $10/hr. because my youngest daughter was brain-damaged, and was quite a chore to look out for - and I know that a good wage goes along way in helping the care-provider maintain patience & a positive attitude. But that was after I was waiting tables in a dinnerhouse, where with wages & tips means $20-$30/hr. Otherwise, after figuring childcare, transportation, extra laundry, etc. a mom is often just breaking even, and her children are without their mom, except for the few hours that she's playing catch-up with cooking, cleanin, shopping. That's why I waited till my youngest was in school; after I became a single mom, I had to go work, and I chose nights because the pay was easily twice what day rates were, so I could be gone from home half the time & bring home more.
IMO, daycare providers are underpaid and it would be nice if the government would subsidize the care for them - they are being called upon to raise the next generation!

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never worked as much as my husband did. It always seemed to fall to the mom to stay home when the kids were sick, and to do all those little things like bring snacks to the Christmas party, and drive the scouts on their field trip. The day care came out of my pay, and if it wasnt worth my working then his career came first. It didn't seem to matter then, because he had his job and I had mine. HOWEVER, when the divorce came and I found out how much retirement and health insurance and social security I DIDNT have, but he did because he worked, well....

I would suggest that young women should do some divorce investment planning, or something like that.