vegetarians or vegans?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by enkeli-kitten

I'm vegetarian (because of the way meat is produced, cruelty to animals), and preservative-free, and mostly organic except when we can't afford it.
Also, I only eat free-range eggs. It's so horrible what they do to poor battery hens. And did you know that in chicken nuggets at fast food, they put not only meat in there but beaks, feet and sawdust? *shudders*
OK You seriously just made
I'm not kidding. UH! I better go clean that up. I guess theres a reason I dont eat chicken nuggets.

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

OK You seriously just made
I'm not kidding. UH! I better go clean that up. I guess theres a reason I dont eat chicken nuggets.
I know - it's SO disgusting. And I saw a video of how they burn the ends of the baby chicks beaks off so they can't peck, it's awful!!!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

and
and

I went to a barbeque last summer with people who I thought I could trust serving/cooking my food...when I tasted the burger I could tell it was REAL MEAT and they tried to pass it off as Quorn
When the taste touched my tongue I instantly started to heave
I knew it was real meat!!
What is it with people?? .....Do they think they can 'convert' people?????
Ok sorry but that is so messed up! How could some one do that to you and consider themselves your friends? It's just wrong.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

Ok sorry but that is so messed up! How could some one do that to you and consider themselves your friends? It's just wrong.
They weren't my friends,They were friends of a friend,I think they were the kind of people who thought it didn't matter and I would not notice

It also surprises me how many cafes and restaurants try to do the same,,which is why I don't eat out.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

While not much of a fast food eater myself, I honestly doubt that.
Yes it is true...wether they are in there 'by accident' or on purpose is questionable.
There was a story in our papers last year of a full chickens head being found in a chicken nugget at 'one' 'M'ajor infamous fast food outlet.

Wherever there is food that is minced and blended you will get alsorts in there

I used to work for a not as famous pie company and the things that used to go in their pies was...lets put it this way,it wasn't only the filling,There were flies in there too because they used to accumulate around the filling being piped into the base and as the sheet pastry was going ontop of the pies ,the flies got trapped in the pie

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a vegetarian for about 8 years. Not for ethical reasons though. I found it healthier. When I became pregnant with my daughter I had a major case of morning (and night) sickness for 4 months. I was literally starving away because I could not keep anything down. Then I found myself craving meat. So I gave in. My stomach settled down after that and I could finally keep food down.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am vegetarian almost vegan . I have been a veggie girl for 4 years . I have been eating mostly vegan for the past six months. I have eaten a little bit of cheese and lactose free cheese lately. Dairy is a hard thing to completely weed out of your diet.

My cats eat meat. In fact I give them two cans of food a day . This is split between four cats. And they have plenty of dry food to eat. I would never try to make my cats vegetarian. I think that they need meat in their diets more so than humans do. MY mom and I had this conversation like a week ago.

I used to eat eggs. I quit that. I dont eat anything that has a heart. I became veggie when I was 16. I saw the lord of the flies movie after I had been thinking about going veggie. In the lord of the flies movie they eat poor little pigs basically alive. This scared me and made me sad. There hasnt been any meat for me since then.

I do not like peta. I donate to the SPCA on a regular basis.

O yeah. My boyfriends sister works for a place that makes steaks. I always hate to hear them talk about it. They have a bad day when they dont slaughter *** amount of cows. It makes me sad.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I definitely have to agree with you on most of that.
I see absolutely nothing wrong if an adult wants to choose what they will put into their bodies for nourishment. There is certainly nothing wrong with being a vegetarian or a vegan in my opinion. It's definitely not for everyone- but a lot of people really flourish on those types of diets. Me on the other hand - I have a nice little assortment of GI issues that make it impossible to eat a lot of the fruits/veggies i love enough to get much substance out of them- so I have to have meat in my diet. I like a nice rounded off diet though that is balanced- fruits, veggies, lean-skinless meat, and that's about it for now (they're trying to figure out if i'm allergic to yeast- whic is in a ton of stuff unfortunalte
and i'm allergic to dairy- so i stick to the alternatives like Lactaid Milk- that stuff has helped me soooooooooo much!
/ For a while, I was on a celiac diet which is entirely gluetin free (they thought i was allergic to gluetin - now we know i'm not
) ....and I have to hand it off to Vegans/Vegetarians- it's sooooo hard to shop at places like Wild Oats and really try to stick to certain foods. Had it not been for Wild Oats at that point in time, i wouldn't have been able to find anything ediable for me at that point! That place is soo good for people with allergies- they label everything!
/ So I definitely understand what it's like to have to shop high and low for your food and to be cautious about it
. At the moment i'm on a combination of Low Fat, Low Residue, Lactose Free, and Low Yeast diets (the latter two aren't going so super
). So it's hard to find foods that work for one condition but not another...you really have to work at it and see what works for you. So I definitely don't see anything wrong with those who like to keep a vegan/vegetarian diet for health reasons
/ After all- I have to keep a combo of about 4 different diets for my GI problems.
I definitely don't think ya'll should be made fun of for your healthy lifestyle choices
Sounds like it would be much more difficult for you to find things at the grocery store than us veggies. At least where I live, there are tons of vegetarian products in the regular grocery stores, but I do occasionally go to Wild Oats to stock up on some of the things only they have.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

Sounds like it would be much more difficult for you to find things at the grocery store than us veggies. At least where I live, there are tons of vegetarian products in the regular grocery stores, but I do occasionally go to Wild Oats to stock up on some of the things only they have.
I agree- it is definitely hard,because at the moment- they still haven't finished all of my food allergy tests- so there's still stuff out there that i'm not sure i can have or not. Yesterday, without even thinking, i made 4 cheese alfredo sauce with mascotti pasta. (i've been used to eating a lot of foods like that for 21 years now -i didn't realize how bad the symptoms were till the doctor pointed them out- and now i forget sometimes that i can't have certain foods
) I made that alfredo sauce the other day completly forgetting i was lactose intolerant and wound up sick all day. So it's definitely hard....especially when there's four different diet types that i'm trying to stick to...i just forget sometimes. I have found some stuff i can eat without getting sick- but it's few and far between - baked chicken is about the only thing that won't make me really sick. Hopefully when I get the rest of my tests back i'll have a little more knowledge as to what i can /can't have
. It's kinda hard, especially during the holidays when everyone makes stuff- to know what they put in it and what to avoid. That's why I like to do my own shopping and cooking- so i know exactly what goes in stuff. I'm baking a lot for Christmas this year for that very reason- so i'll be able to eat something

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm turning into a veggie. I still eat meat when specifically offered but I won't go out of my way to eat it. I still love some meats and have grown up eating it but for about three years now it's been a love/hate affair. I don't eat beef, lamb, veal or pork but I will eat chicken, and I'm slowly weaning myself off of milk and drinking more fruit /vegetable juices. I won't eat any fast food, it just makes me sick. I'm warming up to soy/alternative products, and organic produce is relatively easy to find (but more expensive). I can't eat eggs if it's plainly an egg, it has to be in something.

Eventually I'll be veggie before I know it! Mainly it's for my health and for ethical reasons, also because I like veggies a whole lot better than meat. And the fact that there's a wonderful veggie/alternatives restaurant down the road, their cheesecake is sugar free, milk free, and wheat free, but it's to die for! Also, some of my relatives have allergies to wheat and lactose/polysorbates, so I've grown up on some of those foods and have no objection to eating them.