Vegetarians anyone?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just find it easier to say I am a vegetarian, less confusing for people - I dont particularly care what people think. The only reason I eat fish occasionally is because I enjoy it (and it would be even harder to eat wiht my family if I didn't, my mum has no idea what to cook me so falls back on fish every time).
FurryFerals - WAlkers Cheese and Onion are now all suitable - they didn't used to be though, so you could be looking at some of the old packets (if I ever have to buy WAlkers, I do check) - I actually did write to them and complained, and they put me on a mailing list where I got regular lists of all their crisps and snacks with the vegetarian friendly ones highlighted - although after boycotting them for a while over it, I will still choose other brands rather than them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekokaasan

I appreciate anyone who makes an effort to eat less meat because it does make a difference.
I agree, every single effort helps.

For some, being vegan may possibly be the extreme of their involvement in animal rights advocacy. For others it is a lifestyle. Those people who are not so picky about animal ingredients, who spend their time furthering the message of veganism to people, are possibly doing more for the animals than others (even if they are not 'extreme' with their definition of the word 'vegan'). Therefore, they should not be under fire from those who are not doing any activism.

Besides, The purpose of being vegan is to reduce animal suffering. You can use whatever label you want. It matters not.

Veganism is not a club that you enter, it is something that is a natural extension of your respect for animals. Do not worry so much how other people do it.

Those people who are not extremists may naturally turn away from veganism
if they are expected to be 'extremist' about it.

Fact is, if you convince them to try being 'extremist,' they might give up on being vegan, out of frustration, since they may simply and naturally not be comfortable being extremist.

The best help you can be to these people is to just be a repected model of a vegan life (this helps with the meateaters' view of vegetarians/vegans, as well). Also, if they are 90% vegan instead of 95% vegan, they're still doing good; so go spend your time with those people who are 0% vegan.

It all depends on how comfortable or ready a person is with the shift from being omnivore to vegetarian/vegan. A long term less strict vegan lifestylehelps. A long term very strict vegan lifestyle helps more. A long term less strict vegan lifestyle coupled with animal rights activism helps even more. A long term very strict vegan lifestyle coupled with animal rights activism
helps most of all. Each individual person finds their natural place in the movement.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting thread Shadow soul, and a lot to think about.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shadowsoul

As long as I know I am doing more than my part in reducing animal suffering, people can call me whatever they want.

Exactly. I've been a vegetarian for some 17 years now, although I do eat shellfish, clams, scallops and shrimp etc.. My reason in doing this is because I do not see any suffering in a creature so small, now larger fish I do see suffering involved so that is where I draw the line. If anyone wishes to call me other than a vegetarian that's just fine, but I'm happy with what I'm doing to limit the suffering of animals.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not vegetarian (yet), but I try not to eat a lot of meat. Since I still live at home, I pretty much eat whatever is made for me, but once I'm on my own, I'll be eating less and less meat.