Vegetarian Recipes

mikenealis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful with the Morningstar Crumbles. It... uh... doesn't agree with everyone. The Chik Patties are yummy, but the Crumbles.... just don't eat a lot at once just in case...

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love portabello sandwiches! Just sautee or girll the portabello mushroom cap and put it on a bun and dress it the way you would a hamburger. I prefer mine on French bread rolls with swiss cheese, Let, tom, and onion.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my recipe... (plus check out epicurious.com too)
Farmer's Market Casserole

1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced potatoes (I used the gold fleshed ones!!)
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 medium (1 1/2 pounds) zuchinni cut in 1 /4 inch pieces
3 large tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds)tomatoes cut in 1/4 inch pieces
2 carrots thinly sliced
1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh chopped marjoram leaves (you can use dried-however decrease amt)
1 tsp salt
3/4 c dry white wine
1/4 tsp pepper
3 T butter,1 cup small1/4 inch fresh bread cubes
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Layer the vegetables in an ungreased 11 x 8 casserole in the order listed sprinkling each layer with herbs, and salt and pepper. Pour wine all over, cover w/foil and bake 1 hr or until carrots are almost tender and the juices are bubbling nicely.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan over med heat. Add bread cubes and stire until the butter is absorbed about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
4. Uncover casserole and sprinkle with cheese then the bread cubes over the top.
Continue baking uncovered until cheese melts and bread cubes are browned 15-20 minutes.
This makes alot so you might want to cut recipe in half.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Here is my recipe... (plus check out epicurious.com too)
Farmer's Market Casserole

1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced potatoes (I used the gold fleshed ones!!)
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 medium (1 1/2 pounds) zuchinni cut in 1 /4 inch pieces
3 large tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds)tomatoes cut in 1/4 inch pieces
2 carrots thinly sliced
1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh chopped marjoram leaves (you can use dried-however decrease amt)
1 tsp salt
3/4 c dry white wine
1/4 tsp pepper
3 T butter,1 cup small1/4 inch fresh bread cubes
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Layer the vegetables in an ungreased 11 x 8 casserole in the order listed sprinkling each layer with herbs, and salt and pepper. Pour wine all over, cover w/foil and bake 1 hr or until carrots are almost tender and the juices are bubbling nicely.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan over med heat. Add bread cubes and stire until the butter is absorbed about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
4. Uncover casserole and sprinkle with cheese then the bread cubes over the top.
Continue baking uncovered until cheese melts and bread cubes are browned 15-20 minutes.
This makes alot so you might want to cut recipe in half.
Gail, that sounds YUMMY!
I'm making a copy!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Thanks so much for the link! It will take much exploring, I'm sure
. I may have to contact you regarding tofu. I've always been scared of it, but I think I'm feeling some bravery coming through.
Tofu is wonderful. Nothing to be scared of. Scout's honor

Try making a vegan pizza...sounds totally weird and foreign, but you won't be disappointed. Broccoli is a wickedly good pizza topping...betcha never thought of that one! Just go to the store, find a pizza crust to make (since you're not going vegan, it doesn't matter which one you pick), find some high quality pizza sauce, load up on veggies like broccoli, bell peppers, oinions, olives, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes (you'll bake these into the pizza, don't worry) and garlic, and have at it. Just...try it without the cheese! It's worth a shot...I love the stuff!

Also, as a quick recipe, just take a variety of veggies, sautee them in olive oil, toss them with pasta and sauce. One of my favorites is this: you take broccoli florets, sautee it with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, add just a TINY bit of serrano pepper (it gives it a slight kick, but isn't so spicy, but you only need lilk half of a pepper, finely chopped). Meanwhile, you boil pasta and potatoes. Strain those when they're ready, put it aside. Add a can of chooped tomatoes and a little bit of tomato paste to your garlic, pepper and broccoli. Let that all simmer together for a few minutes and them toss it all together. MMMMMM!!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I don't make this because it's vegetarian, but because we love it. It's a quick really easy sauce for pasta that is really just lots of fresh tomatoes, sauteed in butter*, with lots of fresh basil and a little parmesan cheese*.

I cut up tomatoes into bite-sized pieces, a generous cup for each serving. Sprinkle generously with sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Choose a large saute pan, so there's lots of room, and so you can add the cooked pasta at the end. On high heat, melt 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter until bubbling, add the tomatoes, and toss to coat, then let them cook down, tossing every few minutes.

Meanwhile, have your pasta cooking -- any pasta you like, but this is particularly nice on rotini. If the tomatoes have cooked down to your taste before the pasta is ready, just turn the heat down to low, and stir from time to time. Then when the pasta is ready, drain and dump into the tomatoes, along with a good handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped, and a few tablespoons of grated parmesan. Toss to combine. If it seems a little dry, add a gob of butter while tossing. Serve garnished with a little more parmesan and a leaf or two of basil.

*If you want to avoid dairy, extra virgin olive oil is fine, and the cheese can be omitted, but the flavour will be different, of course.

Enjoy!
I need a new sautee pan real bad!

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not exactly a recipe but if your area has a substantial Chinese population or a Chinatown then there may be a possibility of finding a place that serves Chinese Vegetarian food. It originates from Buddhism and therefore there has been centuries of practice and invetion making it taste very good.

I am not a vegetarian but these Chinese Vegetarian food is so good that when I have the opportunity I would actively seek it out and eat it.

Here is an article on it just in case you have no idea what the heck I am talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Buddhist_cuisine