Vegetable People--how do you do it?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A word of caution, brown rice is pretty high in arsenic, so it's best to limit it and to choose the safer varieties of brown rice when it is eaten. Lundberg Farms rice is a good choice as California grown rice is lower in arsenic.

Brown rice pasta is extremely high in arsenic and should be rarely eaten, especially by children. One serving of brown rice pasta gives a child more arsenic than they should have in a whole week.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A word of caution, brown rice is pretty high in arsenic, so it's best to limit it and to choose the safer varieties of brown rice when it is eaten. Lundberg Farms rice is a good choice as California grown rice is lower in arsenic.

Brown rice pasta is extremely high in arsenic and should be rarely eaten, especially by children. One serving of brown rice pasta gives a child more arsenic than they should have in a whole week.
That's good to know. Thanks. I'm not crazy about brown rice. I love basmati rice. For pasta, I was thinking of trying corn pasta and quinoa pasta

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lasagna is a good vegetarian meal and there's a ton of different ways to make it.

That's what I made for lunch today.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like vegetarian lasagna..  I like the cheese though so it would be vegetarian rather than vegan.  I have tried vegan cheese and I didn't care for it, at least the one that I tried.  I have also tried some vegan baked goods and I wasn't impressed.  Again I know what I had may not have been very good.  The issue I had with the baked goods was more about texture than taste.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I like vegetarian lasagna..  I like the cheese though so it would be vegetarian rather than vegan.  I have tried vegan cheese and I didn't care for it, at least the one that I tried.  I have also tried some vegan baked goods and I wasn't impressed.  Again I know what I had may not have been very good.  The issue I had with the baked goods was more about texture than taste.
I know what you mean about vegan baked goods.  I just tried a recipe, though, for mini chocolate chip muffins.  They were really good!  It's made with garbanzo beans, applesauce, dairy free choc. chips....I can't remember what all.  I'll find the recipe and post it in the Recipe Exchange forum.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I know what you mean about vegan baked goods.  I just tried a recipe, though, for mini chocolate chip muffins.  They were really good!  It's made with garbanzo beans, applesauce, dairy free choc. chips....I can't remember what all.  I'll find the recipe and post it in the Recipe Exchange forum.  
Okay, I posted it in the Recipe Exchange forum:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/308411/main-dishes-and-entrees-vegetarian-vegan#post_3898903

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama, thank you for your calm and considered reply.  I differ in that I do believe that plants are just as sentient and feeling as animals, but I realize that I am in a very small majority in that belief.  You rarely find it outside of some of the very advanced  Buddhist practitioners, and almost never in Western philosophy.
Mamanyt1953: thank for saying that. I do try to be sensitive to other people's beliefs, and I did actually watch a show once that focused on plants feelings and ability to grow and change according to their surroundings. That said, I'll still be cutting my lawn in the summer and pulling those dreaded weeds.

It's true.  I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years and I rarely eat tofu or soy products.  I do eats lots of salads, though.  
  And I eat lots of beans--black beans are my favorite.  
Black beans are my favourite too.  And I'd never had them before becoming vegetarian. 

They sound yummy. 
  And normal ingredients too.  I'm definitely going to try them in the new year.  

I have a black bean brownie recipe I make.  It's not vegan, as it takes 3 eggs, but it is gluten free.  It's also in the vegetarian recipe forum.

Last edited: