Vegetable oil

KittyKang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if my cat drank vegetable oil but i saw him near it and he was licking his face, and when i smelled his face there was the smell of oil, now he's not wanting to eat anything which is extremely unusual bc he's a huge foodie, i tried giving him his fav food but he wouldn't eat, I'm really concerned, I'm on vacation and there are no vets near me, please what should i do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure if my cat drank vegetable oil but i saw him near it and he was licking his face, and when i smelled his face there was the smell of oil, now he's not wanting to eat anything which is extremely unusual bc he's a huge foodie, i tried giving him his fav food but he wouldn't eat, I'm really concerned, I'm on vacation and there are no vets near me, please what should i do?
food oil shouldnt be dangerous! If I can choose, coldpressed is best, but occasionally, not even a cheap raffined oil is dangerous...

What is, oil is somewhat loosening - a few drops at every meal is traditionally used against constipation.
So, if he did ate much, he may have a rare poo.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of oil? Just regular cooking oil?
Corn? Canola? Soybean? Sesame? Olive oil?

If it's any of those kinds of oil that most people regularly keep around the kitchen, there shouldn't be a problem if he only got a lick or two. If he got a lot of it, he might get diarrhea.

Cooking oil is an old time remedy for hairballs. I'm not certain that it actually works but that's what people have said since I can remember.

So, unless your cat got into some exotic or unusual kind of oil or unless he drank a lot of it, the worst you'll probably see is a case of the squirts.

Beyond that, just keep an eye on him. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was used for frying fries, my sister left it in the open and he got to it (it wasn't hot), now he's just sleeping and not reacting to anything, he usually would come running if I called for him, or bite if i touched his stomach, but he's not doing any of that. I did call his vet and told me to give him some water with a little bit of vinegar. My cat doesn't wanna eat anything and he didn't get diarrhea nor vomited

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As two very well-experienced people have already told you, there are NO worries about vegetable oil......and, people here use it mixed with food to help with their kitties digestion.

But.........vinegar????? Are you sure that person is an actual Veterinarian? That sounds like something from centuries ago!

Vinegar, given orally, is highly noxious - it would be shocking for the cat to receive in its mouth. I think it's very likely that the cat would panic, perhaps 'accidentally' inhale and choke on the liquid. If a cat inhales (breathes in) any kind of liquid, it's very likely to become ill with an often fatal form of pneumonia ("aspiration pneumonia"). It's very difficult for a cat to recover from such, and, if that liquid is an acid (vinegar is an acid), the consequences would be dire.

So, you came asking for advice, two, now three very experienced folks have assured you that vegetable oil is not toxic to cats, best to relax and just carry on.

Personally, though, not only would I not 'stay in contact with (that) Vet'.......I wouldn't go near them again!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If your cat is not acting normal and sleeping allot and not eating, he needs a vet. Do not take him to a vet that recommends vinegar. That is idiotic. Sorry it’s late and I am just shocked anyone would mention this.

if you want to put your general area I am sure a vet can be located.

A cat that isn’t eating is a sick cat and needs a vet.