Vectra vs Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution?

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found an old forum that listed Vectra.

Does anyone have recent experience with it?

I am trying to decide between Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, or Vectra.

I have used Advantage most in the past, but a friend's cat only vet just recommended Vectra.

Her vet said that the Vectra works killing the fleas before they bite the cat, so it is better for cats that may be allergic.

Needless to say, they sell Vectra, and it looks like it is only available via a vet.

Our current vet uses Frontline.

My preference is to get a cat/dog identical formula and measure the dose like I've done with Advantage in the past.

I'm on top of the dog products that don't work for cats.

If the Vectra really is better, I don't mind springing for it. If it is just vet hype to sell product I don't want to play.

I have had vets insist that you can't use dog Advantage on cats, and other vets who sell the big dog vials with a syringe to measure off the right dose.

It is very frustrating to research around all of the marketing stuff. I want clear ingredients lists, clear dosage info, clear expectations, oh... and I might as well throw in world peace and an end to hunger since I am wishing :)

Our 4 cats are indoor only, but we visit many people with pets. and we do take them outside with harness and leash occasionally, so we have several vectors for infestation.

Sorry for starting yet another thread about fleas...

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Vectra. Frontline was NOT working for me this year, all 9 of my animals were infested last month. Bought some Vectra and the fleas were falling off within a few hours.

faythe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a problem with fleas this year that I brought inside unknowingly from my yard and neighbors cats. Anyway it was my first summer with my cats and not really knowing much about the newer medications I asked my mom what she used. She told me vectra. Got it from the vet used it. No help. My cat is also allergic. I also tried the advantage 2 and although it helped it only lasted about a week, two tops. The only thing that seemed to control him from licking himself bald as I got rid of the fleas in my carpet filled apartment was comfortis. Unfortunately it cost me an arm and a leg :p

catmomfor2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found an educational site that explains and lists in detail the different chemicals used, their effectiveness and Brand ingredients.  I found this most helpful and then was able to search the different products and their price comparisons.  I am sticking with Advantage II for small cats as I find this comparable in price (ordered from Amazon) and highly effective for my 2 loves of my life.

Check out this site.  Hope that it is helpful for you to make a decision.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2127&aid=597