Vectra Reaction

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I got a new cat that had fleas. The cat was treated and got a skin condition from it, and has been scratching a lot. I have an appointment set up with a vet to assess what is going on. When making the appointment at the vets, I was told that a topical wouldn't be a bad idea, in case the new cat has remaining fleas, and my resident cat could get them. So, Vectra was suggested so I bought some and applied to both cats. The new cat is fine without any symptoms. The resident cat Moe is reacting to it. I gave him the right stuff (for smaller cats) but I noticed yesterday (about 24 hours after administering) he wasn't eating much and laying under the bed all day and night (this is something he does anyway, but he will occasionally come out to be social/eat - but otherwise it is his 'lair' and he likes it there). What really scared me was that late last night I dragged him out of his 'lair' to give him his nightly meds (pred and laxatone for IBD) and while laying on the bed, he suddenly couldn't get up. His legs were wobbly and seemed disjointed. He also sort of tremored. I watched him and he seemed okay after that. I was going to take him to the ER but opted not to because he seemed fine and just wanted to be left alone. He did come on my bed a couple times during the night to snuggle which is his routine - so that was good. I also washed the site of administration with dish soap. I called the animal hospital today and she basically told me there was nothing more I could do. Has anyone ever had a similar experience, and if so, what did you do? I would love to get the Vectra out of Moes system, but I don't think it is possible now. I feel horrible for doing this to him. Should I ask my vet for sub-c fluids? I doubt I could get any today (memorial day) so I would have to try tomorrow. Moe seems okay now.....but the reaction was scary and if there is anything more I could do to help him, I would love suggestions. TY!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as he seems ok today, I would just call your regular Vet tomorrow and ask if there is anything more you can do for him, and ask if they think this could any way be related to the Vectra. If they do, then they should put a not in his records NOT to recommend it ever again.

If he starts showing any strange behavior again today, you might need to bite the bullet and take him to an emergency vet :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TY Mrsgreenjeans :)