Various health happenings.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try to not drag it out to much.  The kitty I adopted back in July has been through quite a bit since I've gotten her.  When I first got her in a trial period, she was hacking and they (the gal from the place I adopted her from as well as another gal from the same place and foster of Frannie) thought it was a furball issue.  Did the whole thing for furballs and nothing happened, so finally after bugging the gal where I adopted her from FINALLY took her into their vet and they said it was bronchial infection and gave her a shot and medicine.  She was fine then after ... at least for a few weeks.  Then after I adopted her, I took her in for a regular vet visit did the look over and tested for FIV and said she was positive.  Well a week or two after that, the coughing returned.  Took her back in and he said it was the infection that was returned and since she was positive, her immune system is weakened.  This kept going on on a monthly basis and pretty much being ignored with any questions and concerns if it could be something else and not just an infection returning pretty much routinely and he didn't even show and explain the xrays and prescribing medication, I got fed up and finally asked friends in my area for good vets. Beginning of November, I went to a new vet but didn't have the xrays from the previous one and just said I'm willing to pay for new ones and gave the go ahead to do it.  The new vet sat and talked with me and listened to and answered any and all questions and concerns and showed me the xrays and would get back to me after their radiologist looked at them.  Was very happy for questions to be answered and FINALLY have an answer!  It wasn't an infection, it is actually ASTHMA which the previous vet didn't even seem concerned about it being.  Depo-Medrol shot has helped and the medication didn't do a dang thing.  Plus, was given some medication for the FIV!  So needless to say I was VERY disappointed with the previous vet and having wasted money on things that she didn't even need!  The FIV test was the quick one, I can't remember right off hand was it is called, but a week ago yesterday, when I took her in for an appointment, we did the western blot test and got the results yesterday... NEGATIVE!!!  I ended up having to take her in because the coughing was starting to slowly come back as she had a some heavy coughs the day prior.  Now yesterday when was in for the shot, the tech said she (frannie) seemed to have this look about her when she would look and wondered if she was having any other issues and doing things out of the normal at home.  All of the things she has done has seemed normal to me, but there was something about her when she saw her yesterday that seemed off and she suggested to test for diabetes.  So had the test done and she was low.  UGH!!  So now I have to take her in tomorrow to retest and she can't have any food for 4-6 hours prior to her appointment, which is at 12:20pm tomorrow (yes, the new vets I'm going to is open on the weekends for limited hours).  WHEW!  It's been a ride with her that's for sure!  Know that will get things figured out and settled down.  Not complaining, but am glad I've got the care credit credit card because if I didn't, I don't know how I'd be able to keep taking her in!  I'll get it paid on, but am glad I have it to be able to get her the needed care, because if I didn't I'd be beside myself!  I'm LOVING the new vets office and they even call to see how she's doing!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

the poor little thing, I am glad you found a good vet, that makes all the difference in the world. Hope she is ok
It sure does!  Thanks!  She's fine other than once the shot starts to wear off she seems to scratch a bit up on her chin area and this last time, she was licking around her legs (mentioned that to the vet tech yesterday and she said it was normal from it wearing off ... she's got a kitty that's got asthma and diabetes and it's similar to what her kitty does) and starts a bit of the cough again,but other than that, she's ornery as ever!  LOL