Valium for cat visit didn’t help !?

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is now 5 and even last year started to be aggressive at the annual vet visit. I went a week and half ago and it was a disaster. Ide never seen him so aggressive and scared. The vet rescheduled giving me 10 mg of Valium and instructed me to cut the pill in half and give one hour before the appointment. I ground the half pill up and put it in a tiny bit of Sheba and made sure he ate it (most of it 90%). My cat definitely was feeling the effects as he would fall and wobble when trying to jump.
off to the vet he was hissy and he’s never hiss… the appointment was just like last time and I just stooodb bavk. Dr listened to his heart and that was it, I was told next visit to give the whole pill. The rest of the day my kitty has been so clingy and crying And laying on me.

Has anyone else given Valium as this dose 5 mg ? It definitely didn’t calm him down

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you maybe try a different vet to see if it's something about that particular clinic?

Maybe even a home visit vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can. I just assumed he would be that way at every vet? I’ve taken him every year if his life. At least he’s up to date on his rabies til dec 2025.. we have one who comes to homes. I may have to look 8nto her …thx

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to give the pill oraly not in food. Tilt his nose towards the ceiling and his jaw should relax a bit open his mouth Pop it in his mouth close it and massage his chin untill he swallows.

It helps to practice this before hand without the pill and offer a reeard afterwards.

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to give the pill oraly not in food. Tilt his nose towards the ceiling and his jaw should relax a bit open his mouth Pop it in his mouth close it and massage his chin untill he swallows.

It helps to practice this before hand without the pill and offer a reeard afterwards.
Thx ..I did what my vet said .lhe gave me a dropper and said to crush the pill and add water …I told him I would rather try it 8n some food and he was ok with it.lso youre think8ng maybe the medicine didn’t absorb properly ?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup didn't absorb or didn't all go down. I give Kabuto a pill twice a day for his thyroid and never crush it (you can't crush it anyways) I just give it the way my vet taught me with my old cat open the mouth pop it in and swallow.
Screenshot_20231218_233434_Drive.jpg

This is the insert for Kabutos medication but it also shows an idea of how to give the pill. It may be easier with a partner the first couple times you give a pill this way but as I said practice the motions ahead of time without the pill. This will help kitty get used to being handled.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Look for a feline friendly gold practice. I will put a search link below.
Valium is a sedative and an Anxiolytic. Cats, when thrr we or adrenaline starts can override it. A cat in a veterinary hospital that is acting aggressively is a cat that thinks it is going to die because of the situation they are in. Most cats when facing such a threat to their lives, will run. When that option is removed, they will fight. So, basically this is a flight or fight response. The amount of stress this causes to the cat will enable them, due to the surge of adrenaline, override and nullify a sedative. The anti anxiety part of this medication will make them fight even harder because it has removed their inhibitions. This is very bad for the cat and the people handling them.

In this type of situation, where a cat is so amped up due to fear, that they become aggressive will not resolve. Meaning, once they are in this heightened state there is no calming them down. The only realistic option at that point is to stop and send the cat home and reschedule with proper medications and a better plan for the future visit.

Every time a cat has a visit like this it is reinforcing to the cat that this is a life threatening situation and they must defend themselves. So, each visit will be worse for them. It is very difficult to get a cat back to normal responses after this. It can be done.

It starts at home. If you have trouble getting your cat in the carrier, you are starting them off stressed out.

Get them used to a carrier. You might have to get a new different carrier, to break the association. A hard shelled carrier is best. Leave the carrier out in a highly visited spot for at least a week before visits. Try feeding and giving them tress as is in the carrier. They should get used to the carrier being around and not meaning a vet visit will happen.

There are better drugs available for cats that are terrified of visits. One medication that is useful is Gabapentin. There is a fairly high safety margin with it. Often vets prescribe to low a dose to do anything. It can be given mixed in food the night before a visit and 2 hours prior to the visit the next day. If this drug does not offer enough relaxation then there is Trazadone that can be added as well. Your vet can easily access studies and dosing suggestions on the American Association of Feline Practitioners website or on VIN the veterinary information network.

Getting the cat in the carrier can be done by tossing a treat inside and closing the door. If that doesn’t work you can put your cat in the carrier by backing them in through the carrier’s open door and then closing it.

In the carrier make sure the bottom is covered with a firm foam and blanket that smells like home. Cover the carrier with a dark towel. Always double check that your carrier is secure both before putting your cat in and after they are in. Spraying Frliway on the towel 5 minutes prior can help.

When carrying the carrier, carry from the bottom and keep it as steady as you can. Keeping the carrier covered with the towel, put it on the front seat, and refrain from talking and playing any music. If possible, don’t run the air and keep the windows up.

When you get in the vets parking lot, call them to make sure you can go straight into a room. Don’t go in and sit in the waiting room. Don’t pick up a corner of the towel and look at your cat and don’t allow anyone else to. This is perceived as very aggressive human behavior yo some cats. Don’t let anyone take your cat out of the carrier or do anything until the vet is ready to examine the cat.

When the vet is ready, take the top off the carrier and place the towel directly over the cat. With you at the head of your cat and the cat under the towel the vet can do the exam from the back of the cat working under the towel. Under no circumstances let anyone scruff your cat. Scruffing only works for tiny kittens. For adult cats scruffing is painful and is seen as an attack.

If blood needs to be drawn it should be done in the exam room with you holding the front of your cat and the tech or vet obtaining a sample from the rear leg.

In the exam room with some really traumatized reactive cats, I have used distractions from a toy, or treats, even a caged bird a few times. Some cats have such a strong prey drive that they fixate on the bird snd block out everything else. Note: the bird must be okay with being in the presence of a cat. We used a cockatiel named Frank that didn’t seem to mind.

When the visit is done, check out in the exam room and immediately go out to the car with your cat once you have secured the top back on the css as carrier and your cat is safe inside.

When you get back home into your house with your cat, open the carrier door and walk away. Do not make a big deal about anything. Don’t try to interact with your cat at this time. Just leave the cat alone. Many will hide and that’s okay.

It takes allot of work to undo the damage caused to cats by having stressful vet visits. But, it can be done.

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Look for a feline friendly gold practice. I will put a search link below.
Valium is a sedative and an Anxiolytic. Cats, when thrr we or adrenaline starts can override it. A cat in a veterinary hospital that is acting aggressively is a cat that thinks it is going to die because of the situation they are in. Most cats when facing such a threat to their lives, will run. When that option is removed, they will fight. So, basically this is a flight or fight response. The amount of stress this causes to the cat will enable them, due to the surge of adrenaline, override and nullify a sedative. The anti anxiety part of this medication will make them fight even harder because it has removed their inhibitions. This is very bad for the cat and the people handling them.

In this type of situation, where a cat is so amped up due to fear, that they become aggressive will not resolve. Meaning, once they are in this heightened state there is no calming them down. The only realistic option at that point is to stop and send the cat home and reschedule with proper medications and a better plan for the future visit.

Every time a cat has a visit like this it is reinforcing to the cat that this is a life threatening situation and they must defend themselves. So, each visit will be worse for them. It is very difficult to get a cat back to normal responses after this. It can be done.

It starts at home. If you have trouble getting your cat in the carrier, you are starting them off stressed out.

Get them used to a carrier. You might have to get a new different carrier, to break the association. A hard shelled carrier is best. Leave the carrier out in a highly visited spot for at least a week before visits. Try feeding and giving them tress as is in the carrier. They should get used to the carrier being around and not meaning a vet visit will happen.

There are better drugs available for cats that are terrified of visits. One medication that is useful is Gabapentin. There is a fairly high safety margin with it. Often vets prescribe to low a dose to do anything. It can be given mixed in food the night before a visit and 2 hours prior to the visit the next day. If this drug does not offer enough relaxation then there is Trazadone that can be added as well. Your vet can easily access studies and dosing suggestions on the American Association of Feline Practitioners website or on VIN the veterinary information network.

Getting the cat in the carrier can be done by tossing a treat inside and closing the door. If that doesn’t work you can put your cat in the carrier by backing them in through the carrier’s open door and then closing it.

In the carrier make sure the bottom is covered with a firm foam and blanket that smells like home. Cover the carrier with a dark towel. Always double check that your carrier is secure both before putting your cat in and after they are in. Spraying Frliway on the towel 5 minutes prior can help.

When carrying the carrier, carry from the bottom and keep it as steady as you can. Keeping the carrier covered with the towel, put it on the front seat, and refrain from talking and playing any music. If possible, don’t run the air and keep the windows up.

When you get in the vets parking lot, call them to make sure you can go straight into a room. Don’t go in and sit in the waiting room. Don’t pick up a corner of the towel and look at your cat and don’t allow anyone else to. This is perceived as very aggressive human behavior yo some cats. Don’t let anyone take your cat out of the carrier or do anything until the vet is ready to examine the cat.

When the vet is ready, take the top off the carrier and place the towel directly over the cat. With you at the head of your cat and the cat under the towel the vet can do the exam from the back of the cat working under the towel. Under no circumstances let anyone scruff your cat. Scruffing only works for tiny kittens. For adult cats scruffing is painful and is seen as an attack.

If blood needs to be drawn it should be done in the exam room with you holding the front of your cat and the tech or vet obtaining a sample from the rear leg.

In the exam room with some really traumatized reactive cats, I have used distractions from a toy, or treats, even a caged bird a few times. Some cats have such a strong prey drive that they fixate on the bird snd block out everything else. Note: the bird must be okay with being in the presence of a cat. We used a cockatiel named Frank that didn’t seem to mind.

When the visit is done, check out in the exam room and immediately go out to the car with your cat once you have secured the top back on the css as carrier and your cat is safe inside.

When you get back home into your house with your cat, open the carrier door and walk away. Do not make a big deal about anything. Don’t try to interact with your cat at this time. Just leave the cat alone. Many will hide and that’s okay.

It takes allot of work to undo the damage caused to cats by having stressful vet visits. But, it can be done.

Thank you for this detailed explanation! I’ve had cats since 2000 so I know about the carrier association etc. he goes into it fine. he doesn’t make a noise in the car and is such a friendly cat who greets everyone at the front door..just not the vet lol. I agree with you about the Valium. I asked my vet about it maybe making him more anxious and of course the vet said he just needed a higher dose. My pore baby followed me around all day yesterday and slept so much . He’s 5 acting like he’s 15. Still lethargic today ..I feel bad. I had heard about Gabapentin , didn’t know other med u suggested. And thank yip soooo much for the link . I found a few vets with certificatactio And one is only 10 minutes away with fantastic review.s. I think we will be switching vets …and I also thought going back a little over a week was too soon after the first vet visit that didn’t go well. I should’ve listened to my gut.

thank you to everyone who answered and helped …

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup didn't absorb or didn't all go down. I give Kabuto a pill twice a day for his thyroid and never crush it (you can't crush it anyways) I just give it the way my vet taught me with my old cat open the mouth pop it in and swallow. View attachment 465999
This is the insert for Kabutos medication but it also shows an idea of how to give the pill. It may be easier with a partner the first couple times you give a pill this way but as I said practice the motions ahead of time without the pill. This will help kitty get used to being handled.
Thank you..hes still groggy today so I think he got he full dose but I don think it’s a good med for him. I will try this way with a different sedative when needed..hopefully not for another year…thanks so much and the pictures too..wonderful !

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you switch vets it might be a good idea to just bring him in for a casual visit beforehand, this coould be as simple as transfering his papers over to the new clinic. The idea being he doesn't think "needles!!!!" Every time you vist. Its just a thought.