Valentine's Day - Bah Humbug!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

My Directors daughter who i work with got engaged today. They had her ring specially made and it cost £6,000.000!!!!!!!!!!.

Diamonds are lovely but i could thing of something else to spend that amount on!.
Susan, that reminds me of something funny, kind of off the subject, but here goes anyway.
Before Oliver & Tripod, I wanted a cat SO BADLY. My husband (then) and I were planning to adopt one after he was finished building an aviary so the birds would be outside. We were on a double date with some friends. The woman was bragging about how many diamonds her husband had bought for her. I replied "So what, I'm getting a kitty!"

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would be something i would say as well!

I better start saving for the wedding now because it'll be a lavish affair for certain!!.

Were just hoping theres no engagement party!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by valanhb

I Earl's gotten me roses in the past, and I just think that's such a waste. All they do it die,Anyone else? Or am I just the Scrooge of Valentine's Day?
I love Valentines Day, it does not matter if I have someone in my life or not. As for the roses dying, well thats like saying why eat a good meal, you're only going to digest it! The roses are like the blossoms on a tree during the spring, they will not be on the tree forever, so enjoy them while you can. Happy Valentine's Birthday to my lovely 18 year old god daughter, Sarah..the best Valentine I ever received!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as roses dying, just before they start getting droopy, I hang them upside down until dry. Then I arrange them as a dried flower arrangement or put the dried petals in a pretty dish. It lasts quite awhile! (I don't recommend yellow for the dish thing, they look too much like little potato chips!)

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

That would be something i would say as well!

I better start saving for the wedding now because it'll be a lavish affair for certain!!.

Were just hoping theres no engagement party!
Really! You can't use the excuse you have to work either!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up hating Valentine's Day. A redhead with freckles, glasses & braces, I never got ANY Valentines. The way they did it back when I was in school was, you set your lil card box on your desk, put your head down; then all the boys would run around and put cards into the girls boxes who they liked. I never got ANY.

NOW - they are more PC about it, thank God. The kids have to make a card for each kid, no matter if they don't like them or not; so today, my daughter will bring home 24 cards!!! I used to always bring home a very beautiful, empty box.

I still don't like Valentine's Day, mainly because of all the dingy things that are expected of people in relationships. I can't stand those mushy, fake Hallmark cards, I'd rather send & receive a funny card vs. those fake ones. Roses? Only if they are orange so I can dry them out & keep them. Red ones dry black and they don't live long enough.

For us single people, I think Valentine's Day doesn't really rub your face in it... I guess the poo-poo part of it is, you don't get anything for VDay unless you send it to yourself. My daughter gave me a Valentine this morning & I gave her chocolates & a stuffed animal. The guys I work with are wearing red, so it's festive in a way for VDay.

But generally, yeah, Bah Humbug on Valentine's Day. :p

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Really! You can't use the excuse you have to work either!
Exactly!!

Her mum and dads 25th silver wedding anniversary was a real posh affair because we all had to wear evening dresses and the blokes black ties.

The other girl i work with dreaded that so she's even worse for the wedding!

But like i tell her!, they may be rich but their no different to you or i!!.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Valentine's Day is such a waste... whether you're with someone or single... To be honest I think there are a bunch of advantages to being single on a day like today.... 1. You dont have to spend a fortune to prove to your significant other that you love them... 2. You wont be making a big spectacle of yourself in public being all lovey and mushy when you know quite well that tomorrow you'll be arguing over the stupidest stuff...

Personally, I'm fine with being single... Honestly, I havent been still content in a while... I'll admit that I miss knowing that I have a boyfriend to come home to at the end of the day but I have other people in my life that I care about.. One in particular that I'm in love with... So, for him, I'll just say a quiet, "Happy Valentine's Day... I love you, A"

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too!!
I'm whispering it to him.

Originally Posted by Malakai711

Valentine's Day is such a waste... whether you're with someone or single... To be honest I think there are a bunch of advantages to being single on a day like today.... 1. You dont have to spend a fortune to prove to your significant other that you love them... 2. You wont be making a big spectacle of yourself in public being all lovey and mushy when you know quite well that tomorrow you'll be arguing over the stupidest stuff...

Personally, I'm fine with being single... Honestly, I havent been still content in a while... I'll admit that I miss knowing that I have a boyfriend to come home to at the end of the day but I have other people in my life that I care about.. One in particular that I'm in love with... So, for him, I'll just say a quiet, "Happy Valentine's Day... I love you, A"

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I do not think that Valentines' Day is only for lovers. Before Josh and I met I spent each Valentines' Day with my bestfriend, Ferris, and two of our other close friends. When Josh and I finally did get together, he came long with me and continued the tradition that Ferris, Eva, and Melissa had started... that tradition was to spend the day with those you love most. Forget the boy/girlfriend, husband/wife thing... This is the first year since 2001 that I haven't been with my dear, dear friends, and truth be told, although I had an incredible time with my hubby this weekend, I missed not seeing them. Valentines' Day, as much of a Hallmark holiday as it is, is about love... isn't that reason enough to celebrate?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Mom of Franz said:
Jillian) Valentines' Day said:
Said beautifully! Don't allow yourself to fall into the Hallmark crap. Just keep it as a holiday full of innocence, love, and remembering those who fill our hearts all year long. In the grand scheme of things, we are not around very long, a special day is nice.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Nana was very upset yesterday(Valentines day) so tomorrow I'm going to the shops and I'm going to buy her a late present, she lost her husband November last year.