Vaginal problems?

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry I don't know if the terms are different from humans.

I have a 1 year old female spayed cat. She has problems with dry food. (Only 1 brand. I haven't got to try other brands). When she eats dry food, she meows in the litter. I've checked all the time and she does pass pee. But she meows. It's also not a cry but also not normal.

Spoke to the vet, she is all good other than this problem so came to the conclusion it's cystitis. I'm now giving her Cystophan Urinary supements with dry food completely removed.

She doesn't appear stressed however she does appear bored. I'm sadly struggling with both mental and physical issues so I don't play with her but when I can convince her to play with her toys, she does. For hours. Washing machine, dryer, and relatives nebuliser are sounds that bother me a lot personally. I don't know if she is bothered or stressed by them or not. I try to put her in my room and close the door but it seems like she prefers to be out in the noise.

I have also booked a vet appointment to discuss all of this in person and so they can do in person examination. This is in 2 weeks and today I have found something wrong with her viginal area.

Just like a human fissure on anus, she had a very very tiny hair thin crack on her upper part of vagina. However without dry food, she does not seem to be bothered at all. Does not lick or anything. Pees normally and no meowing. It's only when the dry food comes back. I've not had the chance to tell the vet as it's weekend but I wanted to ask here for advise.

I dont want to attempt anything as she is forgotten about it. I think the dry food causes acidic urine which stings the cut. I think she and I would prefer that but cystitis. That means it's just a cut on her viginal area and nothing wrong internally.

Would appreciate some advise until I tell the vet on Monday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the vet said they might do a urine test. I wondered how they'd make her pee so I googled and now I'm freaking out. Will they really put a needle in her side?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, that’s not a vaginal problem either in cats or humans - the vagina is the birth canal, different organ from the urinary tract. Their entrances are close, but separate.

Vets can express urine from a cat’s full bladder. They did that to my Phoebe when I had her up for her dental clean recently, because getting a sample at home isn’t possible.

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, that’s not a vaginal problem either in cats or humans - the vagina is the birth canal, different organ from the urinary tract. Their entrances are close, but separate.

Vets can express urine from a cat’s full bladder. They did that to my Phoebe when I had her up for her dental clean recently, because getting a sample at home isn’t possible.
Ah. It seems like idk the human terms either 😆. But yeah it's like a very thin crack not on the anus but the other one. But hopefully there's no problems. If there is maybe this is better than cystitis maybe she scratch it somewhere

Thanks for the urine test explanation. It seemed so scary in the internet.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. It seems like idk the human terms either 😆. But yeah it's like a very thin crack not on the anus but the other one. But hopefully there's no problems. If there is maybe this is better than cystitis maybe she scratch it somewhere

Thanks for the urine test explanation. It seemed so scary in the internet.
No worries, lots of people confuse the two in humans as well!
Here’s hoping they cure whatever her problem is. Keep us posted!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had cats who had cystocentesis for a urine specimen, along with catheterized samples. The first method is the best for obtaining a clean sample which can be very important.

However, your vet may not plan to take a sample in either of those ways and may manually express her. There are even other ways that are possible such a using an empty litter box or one filled with certain non absorbent materials which will allow the urine to be easily collected. I am sure that your vet will discuss this all with you.

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had cats who had cystocentesis for a urine specimen, along with catheterized samples. The first method is the best for obtaining a clean sample which can be very important.

However, your vet may not plan to take a sample in either of those ways and may manually express her. There are even other ways that are possible such a using an empty litter box or one filled with certain non absorbent materials which will allow the urine to be easily collected. I am sure that your vet will discuss this all with you.
Thanks. I phoned the vet and we have actually delayed the visit. They told me if she is doing ok with wet food, continue it, and also wanted to give me anti septic liquid and I mentioned I have povidone idiodne (apparently it's not sold in UK) so now I have to mix that with saline and use cotton on her bottom. Then buy another dry food which they recommend for urinary problems and if that still causes issues then I a visit is needed