Vacuum recommendations?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I haven't posted in here for ages but I know this is a great place to get info since you all have cats so here I am.

I need to buy a new vacuum. The one I have now keeps getting clogged quickly even when the container is empty and the suction is not great now.

What would you recommend? My house has no carpet but I do have some carpeted cat condos. I just need a good vacuum with good suction since I have 8 indoor cats so there are a lot of fur. Looking forward to your recommendations!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 20+ year old Kirby G6. Even after all these years it will suck the carpet up. However, since I don't think they make those anymore...I've heard Dyson is a good one, albeit expensive.

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about that, because I just vacuumed and I was just thinking about how great my vacuum is! It's a Bissell stick vacuum. One of the great things is that it lights up the area you're vacuuming. You can every cat hair, every crumb of litter, etc., much more than you'd ever see without the light The downsides are the small canister, which has to be emptied after around 30 minutes of vacuuming (at least in my house lol), and the battery usually needs recharging after about that amount of time, too. But it comes with a wall setup so you just plug it into the setup attached to the wall to recharge.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've had our Animal Dyson vacuum forever. It's lived through one large long haired dog and a total of 4 cats. If it dies I'll definitely by another Dyson. 👍

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Best vacuum is a broom and dust pan. Get in the corners better,lighter,never gets clogged or stops working

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Dyson Animal Ball. I love that thing! It picks up cat fur and the cat litter that gets tracked out of litter boxes.
I bought a Shark Navigator for the WeShed. While it works OK out there, it does not pick up cat litter well at all. I don't like it for the house. It just doesn't do the job.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best vacuum is a broom and dust pan. Get in the corners better,lighter,never gets clogged or stops working
For not carpet floors, I agree.

I have a fairly new (to me) Dyson V12 Detect Slim Absolute. I like it, works well, but I tried to vacuum up some cardboard scratcher pieces and it clogged (duh! They were not small pieces). So I learned not to do that.

I also have a Miele Cannister that I've had for years. I forget the model (it's upstairs, I don't feel like getting up right now), but likely they don't sell it anymore anyway. it works really well. It was expensive, but I had to get something quickly, and I wanted something that would hopefully last so I wouldn't have to replace it very soon. I bought it because my previsous canister was working only intermittently. I took it over to the shop, but they couldn't even look at it for several weeks. I had guests coming in the next couple days, the store also sold vacuums, so I bought the Miele. Still going strong. I did have them try to fix the other one, but it never has worked right, cuts on and off.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Shark has been good. You do have to maintain the filters from time to time; but that’s not unreasonable. I do wish the hose was a little stretchier; but it’s also never gotten stretched out. I like being able to remove it from the base when I’m getting different areas. I’ve had it for close to 10 years I think. At least 8. I got it at Walmart.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carpet does work like a cat brush. Since your only carpeted area is the cat trees, you might try using a cat brush on them before you vacuum them. I've found this does get a lot of the fur off.

We have the baby Hoover the small light one. It's old enough to have been made mostly of metal, that is no longer true. However, I do have to empty the bin 4 or 5 times per room, but we do have a mostly lab, who could teach the cats about shedding, so it might work for you. But only if you empty the bin a lot while using it. I drag a small trash can around with me to empty it in.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Shark has been good. You do have to maintain the filters from time to time; but that’s not unreasonable. I do wish the hose was a little stretchier; but it’s also never gotten stretched out. I like being able to remove it from the base when I’m getting different areas. I’ve had it for close to 10 years I think. At least 8. I got it at Walmart.
Shark rocket pet is what I have. It is a stick vaccume but has a cord. I really hate battery operated ones because they die too quickly. Corded modles also tend to last much longer since the battery losing its charge over time is a non factor.

The shark rocket works really well for stairs and furnature too since the brushroll can be attached directly to the little canister. No mor lugging the heavy brick up the stairs. It also has a long wand perfect for cobwebs and spidys.

Amazon.ca

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Dyson V10 which is a few years old. It’s great for quick cleanups but not when you are trying to clean most of the house. My battery is really showing its age and I get about twenty minutes of cleaning on medium before it conks out so I whiz through the rooms and basically just do a surface cleaning. I just picked up Shark Endura upright, inexpensive and a great supplement to the Dyson. I used it to do ceilings, baseboard and corners and was shocked at how much the Dyson or my quick cleaning, missed. My plan is to continue to use the Dyson for the hardwood floors and light cleaning and use the Shark for the throw rugs, carpets and detail cleaning

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Dyson V10 which is a few years old. It’s great for quick cleanups but not when you are trying to clean most of the house. My battery is really showing its age and I get about twenty minutes of cleaning on medium before it conks out so I whiz through the rooms and basically just do a surface cleaning. I just picked up Shark Endura upright, inexpensive and a great supplement to the Dyson. I used it to do ceilings, baseboard and corners and was shocked at how much the Dyson or my quick cleaning, missed. My plan is to continue to use the Dyson for the hardwood floors and light cleaning and use the Shark for the throw rugs, carpets and detail cleaning
Thats why I love corded models, they never have battery issues or loss of suction unless you dont empty them.