Vaccinations - do you bother

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

My cats are both indoor only and i feel that the risks of them somehow being exposed to something are much lower than the risk of cancer posed by the vaccine itself.
I agree 100%. My indoor kitty hasn't had any since she was 6 months old. The damage they can do is much higher than not giving them at all to my indoor kitty. My holistic vet agrees (and even two traditional vets have as well).
I do limited vaccinations with my dogs as well, since one of mine had a horrible vaccination reaction. I have learned a lot since then.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Tell me, do you think they need Prevention for heartworms if they never go out?
No, the prevention pills are small doses of poison. I would not give that to my kitty unless the heartworm risk was very high and the cat was outdoors. Inside kitties should not be overloaded with heartworm poison ever IMO.
I live in the South, growing up we never gave heartworm and our dogs lived to a long healthy age, so did the outdoor cats.
I never give my indoor kitty the heartworm crap, but I do give it to my dogs on a very limited basis and run a blood test each year (which is always clear)

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empire

Jen-
wow, you do your own vet stuff?? I think thats great. Kinda have to these days.
Familytimes- I just love your gorgeous himmy.
I think that with indoor animals they have gone bonkers with the rabies shots. I want to switch to a holistic vet & be done with that vaccination stuff. And its true, you can buy vaccines too, so how can they say you have'nt vaccinated/?
Thank you for the compliment, but he is a 7 year old purebred Seal Mitted with blaze. Himmy's don't have white, but are still a pointed breed, but a persian can be with or without white, just not pointed.

His name is Toulouse and he is very much a loved aristocat.
Purrs,
Stormi