vaccinations and kittens and herpes

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. two of them are adults and two of them kittens. one of the adults has feline herpes. he's not exhibiting it atm. and the kittens are one week off final dose of vaccine. they've had a couple close calls at meeting (everyone is ready to do this thing. it's been nearly 2 weeks already) but we are holding off til last vaccination and a week more. (im actually trying to see if the final vacc can be moved up a week)

the question is how worried would you be about the kittens getting herpes from just batting under the door or from having an adult cat on your lap and hten later a kitten on your lap? it's kind of too late for too much in the way of scrubs between cats because we've been living our lives for two weeks already..

but is there much risk in what i've described? we haven't let any contact happen then a closed door between them that has like an inch gap at the bottom. there has been no aggression at all in any of the cats and when we hold up our adult cats outside the kitten room outside window it's all curiosity and tails held high.

also in the kitten intake notes to the shelter/foster that had the kittens the colourpoint boy had a crusty nose when they got him so it's possible I guess that he already has it?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is more than likely they have already been exposed. Many pass it to their kittens shortly after birth. Almost all cats carry the virus in their bodies, it's just that some have a lower immune system and it becomes active more often, just like in people and viruses. My cats have leukemia and a simple virus has the possibility of killing them. They used to have flare-ups quite often and get kitty colds. I started them almost 4 years ago on DMG (online at Amazon, Walmart, pet sites, etc. ) it is an immune system supplement. It does a MUCH better job at stopping flare-ups than L-Lysine. I would suggest you try it. They haven't really been sick since I started it. I give it every morning in a little Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, they lap it right up. Kittens are more susceptible to teh virus because their immune systems aren't fully developed. If there is a gap under the door, any virus has already escaped. Most likely on your shoes too. The good news is, most cats are healthy enough to fight off the virus. So after your final vaccination and a couple of days, I wouldn't be hesitant at all on letting them mingle!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is more than likely they have already been exposed. Many pass it to their kittens shortly after birth. Almost all cats carry the virus in their bodies, it's just that some have a lower immune system and it becomes active more often, just like in people and viruses. My cats have leukemia and a simple virus has the possibility of killing them. They used to have flare-ups quite often and get kitty colds. I started them almost 4 years ago on DMG (online at Amazon, Walmart, pet sites, etc. ) it is an immune system supplement. It does a MUCH better job at stopping flare-ups than L-Lysine. I would suggest you try it. They haven't really been sick since I started it. I give it every morning in a little Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, they lap it right up. Kittens are more susceptible to teh virus because their immune systems aren't fully developed. If there is a gap under the door, any virus has already escaped. Most likely on your shoes too. The good news is, most cats are healthy enough to fight off the virus. So after your final vaccination and a couple of days, I wouldn't be hesitant at all on letting them mingle!
Sorry to hear about your two having felv. that sucks. :( glad they're doing ok so far.
we just had two cats leave us in the last 6 months due to illness associated with old age, but they all 4 lived together for the last 13 years or so and tibbs is the only one who ever showed symptoms from herpes even though we never continued respiratory virus vacc boosters after kittenhood. and ironically other than the herpes he has always been the picture of good health much more than the others. maybe a genetic element too? i'll look up the dmg.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I brought 3 cats into my home with a herpes kitty and none of the new kitties caught herpes. I also didn't vaccinate my herpes positive kitty past her initial vaccinations because of her compromised immune system.