vacationing

mollie-boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're planning our first vacation during Thanksgiving since we've had Mollie. We have two options for her while we're gone:
1- She goes to my mothers house with our small dog. She's never been away from home, but she knows my mom and she'll have our dog with her.
2- She stays home by herself and our neighbors will come in and care for her daily.
In your own experiences with travel, what is easier for cats?
Thanks so much!

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat usually stays home by himself with lots of food and water. The longest we've been away leaving him at home is 4 days, and he was fine then. I would say that the neighbor should come over, as the moving would probably be traumatic. Does she know the neighbor? If not, please get her used to them, so she won't be frightened.
Hope this helped,
Eileen

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely have your neighbor take care of Mollie- much less stressful for her.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a full time pet sitter, so I'm biased, but I would leave Mollie home with daily visits from your neighbor. Make sure to leave your vet's address and phone number handy, just in case, and put the cat carrier in an easy to find location.

You may also want to leave a radio on with classical music and timers on your lights, just to keep the routine as normal as possible. Mollie will be happier in her own environment.